IGNORED

Linux for the Audiophile - Snakeoil OS

THANK YOU for creating this. I have been trying to hear MPD for months now, and while I'm pretty good with computers, installing and getting MPD to work for me was very difficult--and ultimately unsuccessful. One of my audiophile gurus encouraged me to try it and now I can finally hear it. The web GUI is great, as is the built-in web client. I'd happily donate a reasonable sum to keep this project going.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the positive comments. Making Linux easy out of the box for most people to play music almost straight away is one of the key design goals of Snakeoil OS (SQ of course is the primary goal).

Now if only I can make the ISO file itself boot in UEFI mode (or UEFI-CSM or whatever it's called). That feature will make it so much easier for other people to try Snakeoil (e.g. with Mac Minis, NUCs etc). I have installed Snakeoil manually on a Mac mini a while back so the underlying OS already works (grub2 works with UEFI).

But understanding the UEFI boot sequence so far still eludes me. So far managed to get grub2 to load in a UEFI system, however, booting seems to fail with a blank screen (Will try and enable serial console to debug this later this weekend if I have time).

If there's anybody around this woods who have created UEFI ISOs from scratch before and know how the procedure actually works please point me to the right direction. Thanks :).

Yes, this is my experience. Tried to boot on a CherryTrail mini-PC and no luck. It would be great to solve this!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Wondering why you haven't looked into the livecd/usb type process? Download the ISO, burn it to a CD or USB.  You can boot the media to a fully functional desktop and investigate how it interfaces with your hardware and personal preferences. If you like they have pretty simple installation GUI routines that anyone capable of installing Windows can accomplish. All fully open sourced. The one I'm most familiar with is PCLinuxOS.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

You can boot Snakeoil-OS from a live USB to try it.  The installer gives you that option.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, soundbyte said:

I can verify that the files listed in my previous post work well on my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1, fitted with a HiFiBerry DAC + Pro .

I spent about half an hour this morning getting it all sorted and playing music.

I need to do some more reading to sort out some things I am not sure of.

Recommended.

Interesting, thanks.  I like Snakeoil a lot.  Will the RPi image work with the Digi+ coax hat?