IGNORED

Linux for the Audiophile - Snakeoil OS

It is indeed simple for the GUI version but an optimised for audio solution is not so simple. To create and run a stripped-down bare-bones , real-time headless kernel for best audio reproduction is the real hard part for those not fluent in Linux. With windows we have AO to make it easy, but for Linux there is no such luxury hence the dependance on audio specific distro's .

Just install server version, install linux-lowlatency , remove the keyboard and monitor and use ssh to log into your computer from a terminal window in a laptop -- this is how I run NAA -- Google is your manual

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 2 years later...
On 8/6/2018 at 6:31 AM, snakeoil.os said:

A quick heads up. Snakeoil OS 1.1.0 (code name blind testing) is now officially released. From the first release (PHP and ancient HTML) to now (RESTful + Angular). It's been quite a journey development wise, and I hope it is now easier for new comers to get acquainted with Linux.

You can get the ISO here:  https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Thread-Snakeoil-ISO-1-1-0-Blind-Testing

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Yeah does this simply use a standard Ubuntu kernel, or a custom kernel? If custom, where is the code?

6 hours ago, snakeoil.os said:

It's using the RT kernel... The kernel and RT code are all stock. You can find out what the version is from the filename itself, or via uname.

Ok, I thought I saw a kernel name with DSD in it, so was asking. No problem — NB: I need 4.18 and use both amd64 and arm64 so...

Right. quirks.c has been updated in 4.18, so, for example Thesycon etc ... as well as mainline incorporation of ARM chips I'm interested in.

But no problem I understand you are developing a release intended for ease of end use -- which is a great thing -- and good for everyone to merge the DSD mods into mainline as well, @Miska is helping with that.