IGNORED

TEAC NT 503 or UD-503: Opinions?

This appears to be like the UD-503 (which is an improvement on the UD 501). The difference appears that it has ethernet in rather than analog in, and bluetooth in, and no dual balanced headphone jacks. I was paying serious attention to the UD-503, but I don't need the headphone or analogue in, so maybe network capabilities would give it the edge?

(It would replace an old Peachtree Nova DAC and Pre stage, FWIW). Looks like $999.

NT-503 | TEAC

Opinions?

Thanks, Jud. I thought the NT also had a USB, coax and optical input just like the UD. If it doesn't, I agree. I don't want it. I don't want to lose any functionality of a computer DAC. I thought it only lacked the analogue input (and the dual headphone jacks).

Features at-a-glance

• USB DAC supporting 11.2MHz DSD Native Playback and 32-bit/384kHz PCM, from PC via a single USB Cable
  • 5.6MHz DSD and 24-bit/192kHz WAV/FLAC Streaming Playback via LAN (DLNA1.5 Compatible Remote Playback, and Home Media Playback)
  • 5.6MHz DSD and 24-bit/192kHz WAV/FLAC Playback from USB Flash Memory
  • High-quality Wireless Playback via Bluetooth® supporting aptX®, AAC and SBC Codec
  • Access to the Internet Radio Stations*(TuneIn)
  • Access to online music services; Spotify, Deezer, and Slacker (US model)*
  • Access to online music services; Spotify and Deezer (EUR model)*
  • Access to the aerial digital broadcasting stations on DAB and DAB+ (NT-503DAB model)
  • Free Remote App for iOS and Android
  • Free Music Playback App for Windows/Mac, supporting 11.2MHz DSD
  • Dual D/A Converters AK4490 from Asahi Kasei Microdevices Corporation
  • DSD and PCM Filters for Multifaceted Personality on a Single Unit
  • 10MHz External Clock Input for more precise clock operation (Applicable for USB Asynchronous Mode only)
  • High-precision On-board Clocks for 44.1kHz system and 48kHz system (Applicable for USB Asynchronous Mode only)
  • Up-conversion to 12.2MHz DSD and 384kHz PCM for finer detail
  • "TEAC-HCLD" Quad Buffer Amplifier Circuits for enhanced current
  • "TEAC-QVCS" High-precision Volume Control Circuits
  • XLR Balanced and RCA Unbalanced Line Outputs with Fixed (0dB, +6dB) or Variable Output Level Settings
  • Switchable XLR Polarity (2:HOT or 3:HOT)
  • USB B-type Port for PC Streaming, Ethernet Port for Network Streaming, and Coaxial and Optical Digital Inputs
  • Gapless Playback when playing back from USB Flash Memory, DLNA and Home Media (Applicable on the same sampling frequency files between, WAV, FLAC, AAC, Apple Lossless, WMA, OGG Vorbis, and MP3.))
  • Coaxial/Optical Digital Input on Front for Connection with Portable Digital Audio Player
  • Discrete Headphone Amplifier with 500mW + 500mW Output Power supports Parallel Unbalanced Drive
  • Large Volume Display on Multi-function OLED with Excellent Visibility (4-step Dimmer incl. Display-Off)
  • Low Power Consumption with Auto Power Saving
  • Robust Full-metal Body Eliminates Exogenous Noise with Elegant Appearance
  • Compliant with RoHS

nt-503-b_rear.jpg

Having read the manual for the NT a few weeks ago, I saw some limitations that make the NT attractive, like 192 kHz max sampling rate. My conclusion was that the UD model was a better choice.

The front USB is limited to 192 kHz. The rear USB is limited to 384kHz (i.e., same as the UD model).

What were the other limitations?

I was paraphrasing the critic on head-fi.

Here is something similar from Cambridge Audio:

Cambridge Audio Azur 851N (Black) Stereo digital preamplifier/network player at Crutchfield.com

It is 1.7 times the price and the feature set seems a bit more limited (although it will display a postage-stamp sized image of your album art, so with a real nice pair of binoculars at the listening position, I could see what is playing). I wonder how the two compare in terms of sound quality?

Originally I had my eye on the UD503, but saw the NT503 was the same price, and the only sacrifices were things I won't use anyway (dual headphone port, analogue inputs). I don't really "need" the networking stuff, but if it is the same price, it might be fun to have it to give me something to experiment with.

My primary concern is neither would be a significant sonic improvement (the difference between the two sets of DIY Class D amps in particular). At least with the DAC, it would have a more up-to-date set of features, even if it didn't sound different.

The other DAC/pre I have had my eye on for the last few years is the NAD m51. I am a little bit concerned about NAD's repair record. (I also liked the idea of their direct digital integrated amp, but in practice it didn't sound as good as what i have now, which really surprised me. I think it must be under-powered. The m51 + Ncore might be a better bet, but if the TEAC or the Cambridge audio net DAC I liked to above isn't inferior, one of them might be a better option.)

There is only one place I have found that has the TEAC NT 503 in stock. Other places say it might be available in April. I am not in a big hurry, and have plenty of other bills to pay (first of 3 kids started college).

Yeah, both NC400 and ClassDAudio are extremely easy, even for a DIY idiot like me.

In both cases, the one thing that bugs me is the lack of a good RC on/off switch. (Right now, I have mine plugged into one of those power strips that turns it on when it detects I have turned on the pre-amp.)

You might be worried a bit too much, I do not think that would be a problem.

But it is not an expensive item and anything is possible. I actually have a couple also and since you mentioned this I called Belkin to ask them. The tech person thought I was speaking a foreign language, and did not really understand so she typed it out and forwarded the question to an upper-level technician. She put me on hold and came back saying that the switching function is protected for spikes and surge also. For all I know she could've put me on hold been drinking coffee, or she could have asked the question of the janitor, but I hope she didn't.

Regards

Bob

Thanks. I really appreciate your post and taking the time to ask. I have one of these hooked up to my Zeppelin in the bedroom, because I like to keep it off when not in use (meaning no standby LED shining light at 3 am). So this is good to know, and very helpful.

The other thing I am worrying about a bit is the volume control. I haven't seen any description if it is digital or analog, and if digital, how (well) it is implemented in the 503 (or for the 501 headphone volume for that matter).

Anyone know?

The way this is written as being after the converter and amplifier section, would mean it is not digital but electronically controlled analog. If that makes sense?

That's what I had guessed, but was not at all confident in my interpretation.

As for its quality of implementation, can't be sure but I would think it's actually pretty decent. The only complaints about the 501's headphone section was maybe not enough output, this would not apply to this unit necessarily, but there were no complaints about the volume control in the reviews I have read about the older unit.

I would think the NT503 is a good bet. The price is right, the feature set is really good and Teac is a good company.

At this price, I think it is worth the risk. I can always use it for something else or sell it or something if it isn't ideal. But as you point out, it should be an improvement over what I currently have, which is the main thing.

I would not worry about the one negative comment, the person who went for the X 20 in that thread felt it was better then some other really good DACs also. I really doubt that it's the Teac is two dimensional, it would have to be really poorly designed to be that bad sounding.

As far as the rest of the thread on WBF a lot of that thread was driven by an individual who was banned from there, banned from here and is pretty much FOS anyway.

I gathered as much. Also, he has something else to sell.

Most of the stuff that he touts, he has never actually ever listen to! He ran a big campaign against USB and the superiority of ESS. No mention of bad USB anymore as he is actually marketing a $7500 preamp which features USB and AK 4990 chips.

Bill, you really are an audiophile oh my God, you're making yourself crazy over what DAC to choose. You see this stuff is contagious. :)

Regards

Bob

I'm now worrying about what USB cable to buy. Anyone audition this:

81zyAMm%2B51L._SL1500_.jpg

This makes for a very interesting mental picture . . .

I had a postdoc from New Zealand who employed this phrase.

Another of his favorites was to make a fist and put it up to his nose such that the thumb and forefinger encircled it, when asked a question he did not know the answer to. One day I asked him what that meant. "Fuck nose" was his response.