IGNORED

High Res Chopin Nocturnes Recommendations

You can get good advice here: My Favorite Versions of Chopin’s Nocturnes | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

I bought Moravec on Supraphone CD - well worth it! Tidal has another version if you want to check it out: "Chopin: Nocturnes - Complete" .

Sent from my SM-T230 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Thank you. I am listening to the Tidal version... emotional indeed.

I was also considering the Chaplain set however I was put off as many reviews complain about the audible breathing on the recording.

I used to be a regular listener to the Saint Paul Sunday program on American Public Radio. McGlaughlin's guest performers were always closely miked and you could hear breathing, pages turning, chairs squeaking, the rustle of clothing, etc. I found it an engaging experience. A very personal performance and great interviews from the host.

Since that time I have listened closely to solo artists and I'm surprised at how much of that sound I hear in other recordings.

The APR podcasts are available at http://saintpaulsunday.publicradio.org/programs/

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

I used to be a regular listener to the Saint Paul Sunday program on American Public Radio. McGlaughlin's guest performers were always closely miked and you could hear breathing, pages turning, chairs squeaking, the rustle of clothing, etc. I found it an engaging experience. A very personal performance and great interviews from the host.

Since that time I have listened closely to solo artists and I'm surprised at how much of that sound I hear in other recordings.

The APR podcasts are available at Saint Paul Sunday from American Public Media

If you liked Saint Paul Sunday Morning (me too), you may well like this: From the Top

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The Moravec on vinyl is sublime. Also the covers of the Connoisseur Albums are more interesting than a download. Volume 2 is the negative of Volume 1.

Larry

Front Conn CS-1165.jpg

Front Conn CS-1065.jpg

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

• 2 weeks later...

Piano recordings from the 1960's and earlier sound very dated IMHO. This is an area, where the recording technology and skills have made the most progress. The Samson François solo recordings can hardly be called state of the art.

The recent (since 2011) remasterings of EMI recordings by the Abbey Road Studios, available on SACD and hi-rez downloads as well as CDs, are rather controversial, given the choice of the method (analogue tapes are digitized, cleaned up digitally, then passed through a vintage analogue equalizer, and digitized again). I've been underwhelmed by most of them. For some reissues, I prefer the earlier CDs to the hi-rez download or SACD.

Claude

If you liked Saint Paul Sunday Morning (me too), you may well like this: From the Top

I listened to Rachel Barton Pine on MPR Performance Today, this afternoon. Again, a great resource for live performances in a small studio (Maud Moon-Wayerhauser). She played a selection movements from her newly released CD "Testament" Bach Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin. I have a box full of recordings of the S&P and they can all go in the wheelie bin after I get her new CD that I just ordered.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Hello,

Does anyone have recommendations for great high resolution recordings of Chopin's Nocturnes?

Chopin: Complete Nocturnes (Gergely Boganyi)

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

• 2 weeks later...
I listened to Rachel Barton Pine on MPR Performance Today, this afternoon. Again, a great resource for live performances in a small studio (Maud Moon-Wayerhauser). She played a selection movements from her newly released CD "Testament" Bach Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin. I have a box full of recordings of the S&P and they can all go in the wheelie bin after I get her new CD that I just ordered.

RBP is a truly wonderful violinist and great person as well. Very much underrated. I read about the recording of her new Bach disc, but don't have it yet. Please let us how how it sounds when you get it! What are your existing favorites of the S&P?

TD

Other recordings: Alina Abragimova, Hilary Hahn, Monica Hugget, RBP. I hate to rely on an overused term, but the RBP recording is a stunner. The notes flow from her violin like a fountain of music. Her playing sounds effortless and unrestrained. And, the recording itself is superb. She one said that she plays the S&P every day, for practice and discipline. There can't be any greater aspiration than an inspired performance of Bach's work - she has done a very fine job.

I just realized that all my favorites are women. How 'bout that. [emoji106]

• 5 months later...