IGNORED

DSD via HDMi from a Mac Mini to the Marantz 8802 preamp

Hello,

I am new here and I have tried to find the answer to the following question via search. Not completely successfully, so I start that (first) thread:

I have all my Music on a mac mini (newest gerneration), convert the Music via exasound e28 and give it via analog 7.1 plugs to my preamp Marantz 8802. As the Marantz has a good internal DAC as well and as I want to use the Sound processor, I want to give my Music dirctely from the Mac Mini to the Marantz via HDMI. Software on the Mac is JRiver MC 20.

It works with FLAC, but not with DSD. I have many DSD as I have ripped all of my SACD´s.

Any Idea how to get this done?

Thank you for your help

Have you tried connecting the AV8802 to the network and use it as a network audio player, instead using JRiver to do the playback on the computer with the AV8802 as its external DAC?

So get the AV8802 to play the DSD files over the network, via UPnP/DLNA streaming. You can configure JRMC's UPnP/DLNA settings to enable its internal UPnP/DLNA media server (to provide its library's music files for UPnP/DLNA network streaming by the AV8802) and its internal UPnP/DLNA control point (to allow you to control the AV8802's network streaming playback using JRiver's user interface).

However, you may be better off in the long run using a far simpler UPnP/DLNA streaming system (instead of using JRMC's UPnP/DLNA 'bolt-ons'), by installing a music file dedicated UPnP media server (eg MinimServer) on your computer (or even a NAS, if you later decide to install your music files in one for the convenience) and using a decent UPnP/DLNA control point app on a handheld device (eg the BubbleUPnP Android app).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thank you. I tried to Play Files over the AV8802 directely. Stereo Flac are fine, but DSD and any mch did not run (although the user manual says it would).

Maybe I should try it the way you proposed.

Do you have any Explanation how to use JRiver als sth AV8802´s streming Interface?

I love the JRemote surface.

Firstly, DSD output from a Mac is only possible via the DoP (DSD over PCM) protocol. JRiver can do that but does your Marantz AV accept DoP?

Secodly, AFAIK playback through a network as suggested in an earlier post is not possible through HDMI, only Ethernet or a wireless network.

Thirdly, HDMI transfers audio data riding video signals even when there is no video to play. That is why if you want to play high resolution surround audio through a HDMI cable, you have to select a high resolution video setting for example 1080i. Check your settings on your Mac.

Thank you. I tried to Play Files over the AV8802 directely. Stereo Flac are fine, but DSD and any mch did not run (although the user manual says it would).

Maybe I should try it the way you proposed.

Do you have any Explanation how to use JRiver als sth AV8802´s streming Interface?

I love the JRemote surface.

The manual certainly mentions that single rate DSD .dsf & .dff files are supported when network file streaming, though it doesn't say anything about multichannel for any file format.

I & others have previously posted on setting up JRiver for UPnP/DLNA, which coincidentally also was for an AV8802 user wanting similar info, especially post #93 & next post #94:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/streamers-vs-pc-27370/index4.html#post510211

Having said all that I'm not really a JRiver user and I still recommend you at least try the simple MinimServer UPnP media server (install on your computer) with the BubbleUPnP Android app (or other UPnP/DLNA controller app) streaming method too:

http://minimserver.com/features.html

I've seen it mention that it can be a bit tricky to know exactly what's happening with JRiver if you've never used it for for UPnP/DLNA streaming before.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox