IGNORED

Is the Devialet 400 worth a try?

Currently, I am running an Aqua LaScala DAC into a Pass XP-20/XA 30.8 combo. I am using an Oppo 103 with vanity HD card as a universal digital transport. I auditioned a few integrated amplifiers over the last year. I preferred none to the Pass combo, but I am thinking the Devialet might be on another level.

Has anyone heard enough of the above to offer any insight or opinion? The though of lowering the noise floor and going from 4 boxes to 1 is appealing.

I haven't heard exactly your combination, but the Devialet will for sure be a different sound. Better?

A matter of taste. You should try auditioning one somehow, just to see if it is really a consideration. I don't think it will take you long to decide whether it is something worth giving a serious audition to, or not.

Note: I like the Devialet sound.

Not everyone does.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I haven't heard exactly your combination, but the Devialet will for sure be a different sound. Better?

A matter of taste. You should try auditioning one somehow, just to see if it is really a consideration. I don't think it will take you long to decide whether it is something worth giving a serious audition to, or not.

Note: I like the Devialet sound.

Not everyone does.

I haven't been able to get a handle on the sound from the reviews. Maybe I can find a 200 for an in home audition. 400s seems to be a bit scarce.

I haven't been able to get a handle on the sound from the reviews. Maybe I can find a 200 for an in home audition. 400s seems to be a bit scarce.

No dealer near you? IMO, the basic sound of the various models is the same, with incremental improvents as you go up the scale.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think R2R DAC with Pass Labs Class A sound is very, very different than Devialet's sound. My gut feeling is that you chose your components because you like what you're hearing so I somehow doubt you'll like Devialet. Lucky for you, as a few people have mentioned, Devialet has a fairly consistent sound so unlike most other products, you can probably just go to a dealer and listen to any Devialet system and get a feel of whether it's the sound you want. While I think most products require a home trial, I think in your case a Devialet home audition may not be necessary.

I haven't heard the vanity HD card as a transport but I somehow suspect that you may benefit from a high-end USB based transport, e.g. Aurender. And on spec, your system sounds pretty awesome so why do you want an upgrade? Is there a room acoustic issue that you couldn't resolve? Then you may need some DSP or traps. Or maybe Jim Smith's Get Better Sound book. Or at least a real-time analyzer to see why you're hearing something you are not totally happy with.

Currently, I am running an Aqua LaScala DAC into a Pass XP-20/XA 30.8 combo. I am using an Oppo 103 with vanity HD card as a universal digital transport. I auditioned a few integrated amplifiers over the last year. I preferred none to the Pass combo, but I am thinking the Devialet might be on another level.

Has anyone heard enough of the above to offer any insight or opinion? The though of lowering the noise floor and going from 4 boxes to 1 is appealing.

Hi Kimo,

Please note the Devialet 400 is actually two units daisy-chained in mono-blocks: a complete Devialet 200 “master” and a Devialet 200 “slave”. Surely the decision of whether you purchase a 200 vs 400 depends on what speakers you are driving.

I have the 200 driving ATOHM G1 speakers and with 200 watts of power it does so without issue. I would not see the need to purchase an extra unit at nearly double the cost unless you have incredibly inefficient speakers and want to go extremely loud.

The sound is sublime.

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

What speakers are planning on driving? Are they SAMed?

Trying a 200 at home will give you all the information you need. In fact you might find it powerful enough or maybe the 250 would be enough, both allow for an easy upgrade to 400 or 800 later.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

All, thanks for the responses. My current speakers are probably not that well known Alta Celestes FRMs. They are an amazing monitor that might respond well to more power. I do not want to purchase mono blocks, and I really don't want to switch to an A/B Pass amp. Hence, I started to look in other directions.

I can find a few 200s, so I will try to get a demo and report my findings.

I have a D250 and really like it its transparent sound. Before I had lower end DCS, old Pass Labs and Kharma amps but there was much more of a sonic signature. I am using Devialet's cross over functions for my self designed loudspeakers and that improves the sound a lot compared to the D250 and passive crossover.

If you what a simpler system why not consider active loudspeakers which now have a builtin digital crossover and dedicated amplifiers and thus can be much more optimized for the specific drivers. Devialet makes Phantom but there many more to consider. I find the Avantgarde Acoustic Zero quite interesting as the Kii three but I have not heard any of these yet.

I have considered ATC speakers in the past, but never got to hear the bigger models that interested me. That being said, I am not sure that I will be able to find a dome tweeter to match the Raal ribbon, and I know I likely won't match the bass response I am getting from the Altas with that from another monitor.

Another data point...replaced a Berkeley Alpha and Alpha USB and Levinson Power amp for a pair of 400's....amazingly powerful, discreet and musical.
I could be wrong but I thought a pair of Devialet 200's combined to make a 400.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I could be wrong but I thought a pair of Devialet 200's combined to make a 400.

Picky...picky. Actually a 200 and the addition of a Companion (200 without remote) becomes the 400....is still a pair making the 400.

Nevertheless, the reviews by Jeff Fritz, Positve Feedback, R. Harley, et.al are worth reading if considering the D's. They are quite a unique piece of audio gear. The remote is driven by a radio signal so is omni-directional...a big comfortable dial on the table not a line of sight shot from the typical remote.

Picky...picky. Actually a 200 and the addition of a Companion (200 without remote) becomes the 400....is still a pair making the 400.
It may be picky to you but, IMO, there is a big difference between "a pair of 400's" and a pair of Devialet 200's that make up a 400. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Sheesh..... the world before and after lawyers.....this true, takes two to make a 400 and the pair are 400's so the colloquial expression is a pair only to to advise there are two pieces involved...Sheesh!

A pair of 200s is a 400. Singular. Because they are paired together they aren't called 400s, they are still a pair of 200s.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Far be it from me to break up the party... or parties?... but wondered how the DAC of their Devialet stacks up. Has anyone compared the Devialet DAC to another DAC?

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos