IGNORED

Schiit Gumby + USB Cleaner vs. Yiggy?

I've auditioned the Schiit Gumby and Yiggy extensively at home. Really enjoy both DACs. The Gumby is a tad warmer but the Yiggy offers an addictive combination of musical PRAT and even more depth.

After comparing the two I wondered how much of the Yiggy's advantage lies in its improved USB Gen3 input? It clearly seems to benefit from a blacker background.

The Gumby of course has its form factor / footprint and price advantages. It's a good bit smaller and costs a good $1K less; money that could be spent on all sorts of things.

My question: has anyone compared the two with the Gumby using a Intona/RUR/Regen? How far does one of these go to get it closer to the Yiggy?

I have a Gumby with a Regen. Great combination. The Yggy was out of my price range so haven't compared. BUT. Some Yggy owners on here have claimed the Regen made little or no difference whereas with the Gumby it does (more depth yes; more PRAT, hmm not sure, it's there anyway but obviously can't say if Yggy has more). Maybe the Regen ads similar to what the Gen3 USB does? If you can afford an Yggy my advice would be to buy a Gumby and a microRendu which should be available soon (if you don't know what that is search on this site) and pocket the difference.

+1. I've got the same Gumby/Regen combination and enjoy it thoroughly. I going to use the difference to upgrade amplification.

sources:  intel nuc8i7 (audiolinux, roon core) (server) | simaudio moon mind 2 (renderer)
headphone rig:  chord qutest > bryston bha-1 > audeze lcd-3
main rig:  chord dave > parasound jc5 > kef reference 1

I've auditioned the Schiit Gumby and Yiggy extensively at home. Really enjoy both DACs. The Gumby is a tad warmer but the Yiggy offers an addictive combination of musical PRAT and even more depth.

After comparing the two I wondered how much of the Yiggy's advantage lies in its improved USB Gen3 input? It clearly seems to benefit from a blacker background.

The Gumby of course has its form factor / footprint and price advantages. It's a good bit smaller and costs a good $1K less; money that could be spent on all sorts of things.

My question: has anyone compared the two with the Gumby using a Intona/RUR/Regen? How far does one of these go to get it closer to the Yiggy?

I have used both the Yggy and Gumby extensively with an unmodified iMac . With the Yggy , I tried the Jitterbug , IUsb isolator , Uptone Amber Regen and the Intona Industrial Isolator .

The only device that clearly improved the audio of the Yggy was the Intona . Hands down .

I have a Gumby with a Regen. Great combination. The Yggy was out of my price range so haven't compared. BUT. Some Yggy owners on here have claimed the Regen made little or no difference whereas with the Gumby it does (more depth yes; more PRAT, hmm not sure, it's there anyway but obviously can't say if Yggy has more). Maybe the Regen ads similar to what the Gen3 USB does? If you can afford an Yggy my advice would be to buy a Gumby and a microRendu which should be available soon (if you don't know what that is search on this site) and pocket the difference.

I would disagree as I believe the Yggy to be a significantly better dac than the Gumby . Worlds better than the regular Gungnir.

I felt so strongly about this I sold my Gumby for another Yggy .

Is the USB inpute the best input for the Gumby or Yggy? Would for example be a Hydra Z + gumby beat a Yggy?

I don't care what combo Gumby you use , it would not beat a Yggy with no USB isolators/reclockers you use .

I like the Xlr digital input the best , followed closely by USB

Gumby's resolving power is 19-bits, whereas Yggy's is 21-bits (ENOB). No amount of USB manipulation or "cleaning" would bring Gumby to Yggy's level, but you can affect how those 19-bits are presented by improving the USB feed to Gumby. FYI, USB inputs in all Schiit DACs rely on the USB 5V line.