IGNORED

Article: The Music In Me: Clara Rockmore Plays The Theremin

If you ask me, Jimmy Page rocks more than Clara Rockmore on the theremin.

I will just throw this in here.

Korean gayageum stringed instrument doing VooDoo chile from Hendrix by the artist Luna.

[video=youtube;NfOHjeI-Bns]

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I own one of Bob Moog's Theremins. I initially had heard that Moog was related to Clara, but it was his first wife Shirleigh who became friends with her also. Moog always loved the Theremin, and in 1998 restored Theremin's custom that Clara played. It is said that it was Moog's first instrument that he loved. The Theremin is an incredibly difficult instrument to play. It requires precise hand locations & movements to play even the simplest of melodies. It's amazing to watch good Theremin players work. We have someone here in SF who regularly plays one with a female jazz/lounge singer as a featured instrument. When my band was playing regularly, I used mine to basically play a few simple, 3 or 4 note melodies, on a couple of songs.

An interesting note about Theremin is that when working for the KGB, he helped design a listening device called "the thing" that was given as a present to the US-Soviet Ambassador, in the form of a wooden seal that wasn't discovered for 7 years.

11ont.jpg

image.jpg

I own one of Bob Moog's Theremins. I initially had heard that Moog was related to Clara, but it was his first wife Shirleigh who became friends with her also. Moog always loved the Theremin, and in 1998 restored Theremin's custom that Clara played. It is said that it was Moog's first instrument that he loved. The Theremin is an incredibly difficult instrument to play. It requires precise hand locations & movements to play even the simplest of melodies. It's amazing to watch good Theremin players work. We have someone here in SF who regularly plays one with a female jazz/lounge singer as a featured instrument. When my band was playing regularly, I used mine to basically play a few simple, 3 or 4 note melodies, on a couple of songs.

An interesting note about Theremin is that when working for the KGB, he helped design a listening device called "the thing" that was given as a present to the US-Soviet Ambassador, in the form of a wooden seal that wasn't discovered for 7 years.

11ont.jpg

image.jpg

So cool!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I also have a Moog (well-engineered) but have yet to teach myself how to play it passably...devilishly difficult. RCA invested about US$10 million in Theremin's device, a huge amount in the 1920s. Apparently, they thought it would be the 'next best thing' for them after radio -- wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Gee. No mention of Lothar and the Hand People? They were a group that did psychedelic rock on a Theremin (hence the "Hand People"). Lothar was the Theremin. Their vinyl is apparently quite rare. They would start their show wearing white gloves with a single spotlight on the Theremin. I saw them at Syracuse University in the late 60's.