IGNORED

Audirvana 2.4 + remote app 1.5

Hello Damien.

I have asked for the abillity to control the output volume in the remote app using the volumebutton on the device (in my case, Ipad) for some time now and I would appreciate at least a comment on the subject. The solution that you have right now is to put it mildly, not good. All other aspects of the package is just great but .......... :-(

The volume control buttons on the iPad are there to control the level of the audio output by the iPad itself. To interfere with that functionality seems to be a bad idea and I'd guess is prohibited by Apple [or maybe not – I just noticed your later post]

The best way to remotely control the audio level output by Audirvana Plus is to use the physical Apple remote. That way there's never any wait for an app to connect.

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

I use a dedicated to audio late 2009 M. Mini (el capitan, clean install) with 8gb of ram and ssd and no problems.

Some times with severe upsampling to 768 I have some mb swap (usually in the rear occasion that safari is on too) […]

Interesting … I use a late 2012 Mac Mini with 16 GB RAM and two SSD:s and I can't even upsample to 192 kHz without playback distortions, with no other application running at the same time.

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

What OS are you using?

What DAC?

Check my signature :)

By the way, I just installed 2.4 and haven't had time to try it yet. I'll do some extended listening this afternoon and see if I still have the issue.

what does that mean?

It means the computer didn't run out of RAM and thus didn't have to resort to using disk space or memory compression (potentially slowing down memory access). The latter can be checked using Activity Monitor's Memory tab.

By the way, I just installed 2.4 and haven't had time to try it yet. I'll do some extended listening this afternoon and see if I still have the issue.

Now I've tried out 2.4 and the distortions are still there. Lasts about a second each time and sounds like … a stuttering sort of sound. I've had this problem the last couple of months. Sometimes I can listen for hours without any issues. Other times it happens 10–30 times per album. I have no issues with other audio software. Using an earlier version of Audirvana Plus doesn't help, so maybe it started happening after one of the later Yosemite updates. I haven't done a clean install of OS X in a very, very long time, though. (If I did, it would take me at least a week of hard work to set everything up again :(, but maybe I'll get around to it some day …)

why don't you try a minimalist OS X on SD card ?

with Audirvana installed on it.

Great idea :) I actually came to think of that after I made that post. I think my Mac Mini has an SD card slot hidden somewhere.

32 GB enough?

Hmm … I found a rather recent thread about Audirvana Plus stuttering on a new 2015 Mac Mini, with no upsampling. Same OS X version as mine and a Cord Qute EX DAC, which I believe uses an M2Tech USB interface, just like mine. Maybe my particular system/installation isn't the problem, after all.

I remembered that my secondary SSD is mostly unused, so I didn't need an SD card. Unfortunately a clean minimal install of OS X 10.10.5 and Audirvana Plus 2.4 didn't solve my distortion/stuttering problem (and the problem with redundant full library resynchronisations appeared upon the second launch of the application and continued with subsequent launches). At least, now I know the problem isn't with my particular installation/setup.

In the past year, some combination of Audirvana/OS X upgrades has eliminated my ability to play at 192kHz without dropouts. I have just done a clean install of El Capitan and the problem remains.

There is plenty of memory and CPU available - it seems that it has become impossible for Audirvana to send data fast enough.

A.

Addendum: I said 'in the past year', but I think it is more like in the past six months but I am not really sure.

From your description, we seem to have the same problem. 6–12 months sounds about right. Audirvana never goes above about 25% total CPU usage (always below 110% out of 400%; typically about 5% when track loading has finished), and the red CPU warning (in Audirvana, that is) doesn't show up when I get the distortions/stutterings (if I use Direct Mode, I get dropouts instead of stutterings).

SavantGarde... i see you use also JRiver like me... do you have troubles with that soft too?

because me, i don't have any problem playing files at 352/384 with JRiver with these settings...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24851[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24852[/ATTACH]

we have same computer, same memory...

No problems upsampling with JRiver, only with Audirvana. Since Audirvana does most of its audio processing before actually playing the track (some of it seems to be performed in realtime whilst waiting for the bufferering to complete), I would expect its playback performance to be more stable than JRiver's. Obviously something is amiss.

Increasing or decreasing upsampling quality doesn't seem to affect this problem. Neither does changing the buffer size.

yep, same for me :-)

i even try 10.11.4 beta to see if it is gone... no luck

Do you know if your DAC uses a USB interface from M2Tech? I tried Audirvana, albeit briefly (20–30 minutes), yesterday with an old Native Instruments interface and had no issues. There's a forum thread from 2015 about Audirvana stuttering with a Chord DAC that seems to use a USB interface from M2Tech. As for me, I still use my old M2Tech hiFace.

Since i have absolutely no problem with JRiver at 352/384, i think it must be A+ fault. for me it is just the locking of the signal when changing rate... not happening everytimes, but you never sure. When it locks, it plays well, mostly without dropouts of sound.

If your problem appears when changing sample rates you should try turning off Direct Mode in the Audirvana preferences. Damien told me to do that when I had such problems a while back.

I think I've mostly solved my own distortion issue now, by simplifying my external digital audio routing and then resetting my upsampling options to the standard high quality setting (by dragging the quality slider back and forth). That, together with my recent clean audio-only Yosemite installation, seems to have made things much better distortion-wise.

The recent OS 10.11.4 upgrade seems to have broken the Auto Sync function of A+, at least for me. (I'm running 2.4.) Prior to upgrading to 10.11.4, Auto Sync was working perfectly, running each time I launch A+ after adding new files to my music folder. (I sync to the 'Music' folder in iTunes, but not via A+'s integrated sync feature.) But since the OS upgrade a couple of days ago, I've had to do a manual sync every time I add new music files. Anyone else have this issue?

The auto-sync feature has never worked more than a couple of months for me, before I have to delete the library files and start over to get it working again. I have no experience with OS X 10.11.4 particularly, though.

[…]

2.5 is bringing TIDAL

2.6 will focus on library management, including performance for large collections

Damien

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in't."

Glad to see you're a man with a plan :)