IGNORED

Assistance needed please

hukeys

Hi,

I am new to this, so hoping someone can please assist. I am not at all tech-savvy, so I might need helpful, EASY info.!I want to set-up a computer-based music library (preferably NOT iTunes). I have a NAS drive, Mac computer and interested in downloading Audirvana (perhaps - based on the reviews, etc.) I also have a CA DAC.

I've done plenty of ripping cd's via iTunes and familiar with that one. Are there other more successful alternatives out there, and if so, what might they be?

I suppose most of my confusion is how I eventually manage to transfer the library to the 2TB NAS and once transferred, how I make the link with Audirvana, so that I can listen to the library streamed to something like AirPlay.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

XLD is a wonderful Mac based program you can use to rip your CDs. I use it and am very pleased with it. Be sure to embed the cover art with XLD, it will make your life easier.

Once you have ripped everything, you could create a folder on your NAS called MUSIC and place the albums there.

It is helpful to organize your ripped music in the following manner, \Artist Name\Album Name.

Thus on your NAS the folder structure would be:

\Music\Artist Name\Album Name

Just some general guidance. Are you ripping them in AIFF format?

If you use XLD you can also configure it to store the ripped albums on your NAS as part of the ripping process.

Just some tips to start you off.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I actually have XLD on my Mac; oddly enough, I've only ever used it to convert FLAC to AIFF for iTunes. It will show how little I know about all this; I never knew that XLD could also be used to rip cd's! What you have described, all looks easy enough. I assume that after ripping them, they will appear as a library (similar to iTunes, is that correct?)

Hello. After ripping they will appear as a folder, depending on how you configure XLD they may or may not appear in your iTunes library. So if the ultimate goal is to move them to a NAS and use a different music player such as Audirvana, you will be all set.

Some sample settings for you, happy to provide more if you like.

XLD1.jpg

XLD2.jpg

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thanks again. I've practiced with one, and it's ripped ok. Next question is: how do I actually transfer that to Audirvana? It doesn't appear to work with a 'drag and drop'...

Actually it does. You can drag and drop files to the "Playlist" feature in the left sidebar.

Just one last thing: now that I have a few titles in the library and they are showing in Audirvana, how am I able to make sure that Audirvana can be streamed to my Airplay (Airport Express) in another room?

Hi,

I am new to this, so hoping someone can please assist. I am not at all tech-savvy, so I might need helpful, EASY info.!I want to set-up a computer-based music library (preferably NOT iTunes). I have a NAS drive, Mac computer and interested in downloading Audirvana (perhaps - based on the reviews, etc.) I also have a CA DAC.

I've done plenty of ripping cd's via iTunes and familiar with that one. Are there other more successful alternatives out there, and if so, what might they be?

I suppose most of my confusion is how I eventually manage to transfer the library to the 2TB NAS and once transferred, how I make the link with Audirvana, so that I can listen to the library streamed to something like AirPlay.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

A couple of things for you to know and consider.

1. There is a lot of misinformation about iTunes, which IMO is an excellent program for managing your music, although it has some limitations and has become less intuitive with time.

The CDs you've already ripped with iTunes will be bit perfect and will NOT need to be re-ripped if you have selected Apple Lossless or AIFF with error correction checked..... check that you have selected Preferences > General > Import Settings > AIFF (or Apple Lossless) > Error Correction (checked).

Refer to this from Devialet, an excellent French manufacturer of high quality audio:

"We don't recommend any particular software to rip CDs. iTunes gives excellent results as long as you rip from a clean CD. Note that you can also set the error correction on iTunes for an extra safety. Other softwares such as "Max" on Mac platforms or "Exact Audio Copy" on PC platforms give excellent results.

The main thing is to use a bit-exact ripper. I personally use iTunes. There has been a test of several ripping softwares on a French Expert site. It appeared that, as long as the CD is clean, the results are absolutely identical between iTunes and others such as Audiograbber, dBpoweramp, Foobar2000, Winamp etc..."

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/articles/203402571-What-software-should-I-use-to-rip-CDs

2. I note that you do not want to continue to use iTunes as a player but you can continue to use it to manage your music whilst using Audirvana as your player. This is what I do and it works very well for me. Open Audirvana and under the Menu heading "Audirvana Plus" check Integrated iTunes Mode.

3. One of the advantages of using Audirvana as the player, apart from improved sound quality, is that it will automatically change the sample rate if you wish to play hi-res (24/96 and higher) mixed in with your ripped CDs. iTunes will not do this.

4. Airplay is limited to CD (redbook) format being 16/44.1 and will not transfer hi-res to your DAC.

5. Once you have transferred your files to your NAS and made a folder as described above simply select it in iTunes using the File > Add to Library function but remember to first delete all the file links from within iTunes (not the files themselves) so you do not get duplicates and uncheck Preferences > Advanced > copy files to iTunes media folder .....

In summary if you are not tech savvy as you suggest then I would not be in a hurry to discard iTunes as it make life very easy for ripping, getting meta data and management. Combined with Audirvana it will get you very close to an excellent system

When you become more knowledgable you can experiment with dbpoweramp or XLD for ripping and HQ player for playback ..

Signalyst

Good luck and all the best getting the sound and convenience you are after,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Thanks very much for the good advice. I must admit, I'm feeling as if iTunes might be the way to go. My main problem now is being able to listen to the library in another room. The main Mac is in one room, where I will connect the NAS, but I want to listen in another room to music from the library. Now, should the NEW library be showing on my Apple Remote (it isn't at the moment), or do I need to configure something on Audirvana? I did contact them, and they actually suggested NOT to employ the integrated iTunes facility. That didn't work either, so more confusion now!

I will add that I have never had XLD or dBPoweramp successfully rip a track that tripped up iTunes. So long as you're happy with your Mac or don't mind being constrained to ALAC in the future, I'd go with iTunes for ripping.

Regarding playback, try a free trial of Roon. It is by far the best library management tool out there, and to me sounds every bit as good as PureMusic, which is the only "Audiophile" player I have any personal experience with. Actually, it sounds better in one regard, in that I never had any good luck getting PureMusic to play well with Tidal.