IGNORED

The Amazing Mystery of the Moon

Yes it is. From wikipedia:

A central question pertaining to the Moon illusion, therefore, is whether the horizon moon appears larger because its perceived angular size seems greater, or because its perceived physical size seems greater, or some combination of both. There is currently no firm consensus on this point. Most recent research on the Moon illusion has been conducted by psychologists specializing in human perception. After reviewing the many different explanations in their 2002 book The Mystery of the Moon Illusion, Ross and Plug conclude "No single theory has emerged victorious".[7] The same conclusion is reached in the 1989 book, The Moon Illusion edited by Hershenson, which offers about 24 chapters written by different illusion researchers.

There are many variations on the illusion theory. None actually fully fit the observed facts and truly explain. Some contradict each other. No one knows.

Now it is my opinion the insistence the size of the moon changing is an illusion is very wrong headed. Until people open their minds to other hypothesis which don't require it being illusion there will be no satisfactory explanation. Do these people really believe billions of people are deluding themselves when they see the size of the moon change? With this many observations all agreeing to dismiss them is a serious mistake.

Photographers often add people or some known object/being when framing landscapes to add scale.

I think that the same mechanism is at work here: when the moon is higher up, it's size appears smaller for lack of visual (scale) references.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Photographers often add people or some known object/being when framing landscapes to add scale.

I think that the same mechanism is at work here: when the moon is higher up, it's size appears smaller for lack of visual (scale) references.

R

This is another example of the obsession with the idea that the moon is not really changing size. When one can very simply see the size changes.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

This is another example of the obsession with the idea that the moon is not really changing size. When one can very simply see the size changes.

Coincidentally, in this evening's episode of a locally produced TV soapie, they showed a couple of shots of the moon rising over Palm Beach in Sydney. It appeared to look HUGE !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Ok, I'll try your double-blind then...

I think we need to call NASA: they surely will be able to settle the matter once and for all, confirming the moon does not inflate / deflate on a regular basis.

Dennis knows damn well that the moon does not change size. This is yet another example from him that attempts to show just how easily our senses can be fooled !

He seems to think that many of us came down in the last shower. (grin)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I think we need to call NASA: they surely will be able to settle the matter once and for all, confirming the moon does not inflate / deflate on a regular basis.

There is a good case to be made that it does indeed inflate and deflate in your terms quite regularly.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Ok, I'll try your double-blind then...

Seriously now, are you going to believe what you see or what you don't see when it comes to visual phenomena?

Visual phenomena is best perceived sighted. That would seem to be an obvious thing to the point of being a tautology.

E...You either trust your eyes or you don't...

As my signature says I don't trust my eyes.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Seriously now, are you going to believe what you see or what you don't see when it comes to visual phenomena?

Visual phenomena is best perceived sighted. That would seem to be an obvious thing to the point of being a tautology.

Alternatively one can always try this "very special" technique:

Alternatively one can always try this "very special" technique:

This is a variation on measuring. We know the act of measurement effects the results from Heisenberg. This creates uncertainty. I feel much more comfortable with my perceptions than this process which puts a distance between the phenomena and ourselves. Sighting like this lacks precision as results vary from one lunar cycle to the next when I have done it.

This is a variation on measuring. We know the act of measurement effects the results from Heisenberg. This creates uncertainty. I feel much more comfortable with my perceptions than this process which puts a distance between the phenomena and ourselves. Sighting like this lacks precision as results vary from one lunar cycle to the next when I have done it.

Don't forget Schrödinger. Until observed, the moon is all sizes at once. It is also a cat.

I am sure we have all witnessed the rising of a full moon. What is a mystery and amazing is how the moon changes size. From the time the moon first pokes over the very edge of the horizon until it is higher in the sky there is at least a 3 to 1 if not a 4 to 1 size difference. And while this is observed by billions of people no one can explain it.

How can the size of the moon possibly change? And why only the moon? What is uniquely special about it?

I have noticed the same effect with the sun. The rising or setting sun seems much bigger. Same goes for planets and clusters of stars. Everything looks bigger when compared to the horizon vs up high in the sky.

-weldp

I have noticed the same effect with the sun. The rising or setting sun seems much bigger. Same goes for planets and clusters of stars. Everything looks bigger when compared to the horizon vs up high in the sky.

-weldp

Yes, this size changing isn't limited to the moon it appears.

The apparent size of the moon is in fact getting smaller! The moon is slowly drifting away from the Earth. Don't remember the number but it may be something like a centimeter a year (or maybe a century). In a billion or three years it will leave Earth's orbit. But by then the Sun will be on it's way to being a giant red star so nobody will worry about the moon leaving.

I looked it up:

The Moon is spiraling away from the Earth at an average rate of 3.8 cm (1.5 in) per year

In the southern hemisphere it works the other way round...moon appears smaller than usual just after rising. Must be the Coriolis effect.

Now you are being patronizing and spreading false information. That is not true.

It is true the phases progress in opposite directions.

Does the moon look the same all round the world?

How can that possibly be, George? There are two electric guitars being played! Of course, Grace Slick was gorgeous and had great pipes. :)

For some reason, the way her backup players used the electric guitars they weren't as objectionable as I usually find them. Don't ask me why. And you are right, Grace Slick WAS gorgeous and did have a great set of pipes!

George

Now you are being patronizing and spreading false information. That is not true.

It is true the phases progress in opposite directions.

Does the moon look the same all round the world?

The world is not round.

Besides, everyone knows that the Sun and the Moon rise from the Earth, then follow their path across the heavens only to return at the end of their journey...

R