IGNORED

255 character limit on file names

Hello All,

After reading from you all I took the plunge and bought a Synology NAS. Am being very cautious with my music library and, during transferring files to the NAS, was getting these 255 character notices.

Does this mean the file is not written and so unreadable?

The obvious, why?

Is the simple solution to edit the file name, with Yare or similar, to below this 255 sillyness?

Most of my music Library seems fine and it was the larger orchestral works that seem to be flagged....hey, never listened to that Vagner anyways.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome with my thanks.

Best,

Warren

during transferring files to the NAS, was getting these 255 character notices.

What did the message say exactly?

There are file managers that give out a message that a file with such a long name might not be readable with some devices, but it's just an information, not an error message.

Claude

What did the message say exactly?

There are file managers that give out a message that a file with such a long name might not be readable with some devices, but it's just an information, not an error message.

As a work around I started to use Carbon Copy Cloner and not the DSM file manager which was generating these warnings.

So these are just warnings and the data isn't truncated?

Thanks for this.

I don't have this, so this is only a guess:

I think the character limit is imposed by encryption software. Are you encrypting the backups? If so, do you need to.

I think the warning is telling you that the file is either not getting copied, or the file name is getting truncated.

Hello All,

After reading from you all I took the plunge and bought a Synology NAS. Am being very cautious with my music library and, during transferring files to the NAS, was getting these 255 character notices.

The obvious, why?

Is the simple solution to edit the file name, with Yare or similar, to below this 255 sillyness?

Most of my music Library seems fine and it was the larger orchestral works that seem to be flagged....hey, never listened to that Vagner anyways.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome with my thanks.

Best,

Warren

What it means is that depending on your file system the files that exceed the 256 character length will not be backed up - or if you try to copy them they won't get moved.

Many people have discovered this too late and much to their dismay. You have to be careful, especially with Classical music. The limit includes any and all spaces with nested folder names as well.

With Classical I find myself putting more information into the metadata, particularly with the Artist, Album and Album Artist while with the folders themselves I'll have nothing more than the conductor, soloist and orchestra.

For the actual file names I might have the conductor and piece only, with the orchestra again with the metadata.

I use a free utility called FindLongFiles to check folders - you can set the maximum character length you want in the search. You can find it here: LCS - FindLongFiles

What it means is that depending on your file system the files that exceed the 256 character length will not be backed up. Many people have discovered this too late and much to their dismay. You have to be careful, especially with classical stuff. The limit includes and all spaces and nested folder names as well.

With Classical I find myself putting more information into the metadata, particularly with the Artist, Album and Album Artist while with the folders themselves I'll have nothing more than the conductor, soloist and orchestra.

For the actual file names I might have the conductor and piece only, with the orchestra again with the metadata.

I use a free utility called FindLongFiles to check folders - you can set the maximum character length you want in the search. You can find it here: LCS - FindLongFiles

Thanks, the utility is exactly what I need but, unfortunatley, is a Window based app. I'm still getting up to speed on this isue but will check to see if the files did copy. I didn't get the warning when using Carbon Copy Cloner in lieu of the Synology DSM utility.

Warren

As a follow-up...was in an email discussion with support at Carbon Copy Cloner to discuss the issue (btw: best support in the biz) and was advised their log of the transfer/clone will list the affected files .... So a list was generated without the need for a futher search...in my case it was essentially two albums/boxed sets....Die Zauberflote and Das Rheingold.....ah the germans! So will rename and move on...thanks to all for your replies.

I see the OP may have already found a solution but I will add this info as an FYI anyway.

The Windows file system 255 Character limit is arrived at when the number of characters involved in the entire Folder & File Tree equal 255. This means that Folder names & File names are all taken into account to reach the 255 Characters, including spaces in those names.

As an example:

Parent Folder name length = 25char

Child Folder Name length = 25char

Child of a Child Folder Name length = 25 char

File name length of a file found inside the deepest Child Folder = 55 char (255 Character Limit Reached!!)

Some of the problems associated with such an issue include:

Not being able to read the data found at the character limit length

Not being able to delete the data found at the character limit length

Not being able to rename/edit the data found at the character limit length

In many cases the fix if you find yourself in this situation usually involves shortening the name of some of the Parent folders which then should allow you to manipulate the data you previously were not able to manipulate or you may then be able to "Cut/Paste" the bottom most File/Folder into a Parent Folder higher in the Tree.

What may be more obvious to many but was news to me, the files with more than 255 characters in the file name is not copied at all. Was wondering if they were copied but truncated but not the case. Beware.

wdw

I hope I am not confusing things, because I am not on my network. It also might not be relevant. But, as I recall, some programs will allow access via browsing to folders/files on the NAS via the Network path in Windows or via the Drive path under Computer. I seem to recall being able to do this in JRiver, for example, via the browser when opening a folder or file for import.

So, if the network name of the NAS is something long like "Diskstation", then access via the Network path will include that 11 character name as the top folder name, and count it against the 256 character limit. If the NAS has been assigned a Windows drive letter, X say, then access via the file path under Computer instead starts with X:...., or 2 characters vs. the 11 in my example. Sometimes that makes all the difference.

I have been bitten by file length issues from time to time. So, I always access the NAS by the drive letter, minimize the number of folder levels in the tree and I keep all folder names short and sweet, but descriptive. That has kept me out of trouble.

WHY ? and how on earth do you ever reach a total of 255 ?

the way you organice folders must be very odd ? or very complex ?

PLease tell us what you do ? maybe we oversee a really smart way to do stuff ?

Here is what I do :

F://ALLMYMUSIC/ and then all my rips in their own folder,

this way they are sorted alfabetically, so searching is very fast and easy.

some artists or bands made several CDs, ok fine

then use ONE extra folder for band name, and then all their CD's

then it looks like:

F://ALLMYMUSIC/Dire Straits/Brothers in Arms CD/1 So Far Away.wav

some of my olders rips are MP3, so I need to know what is what,

I do it this way:

F://ALLMYMUSIC/Dire Straits/Brothers in Arms MP3/1 So Far Away.mp3

versus a full CD quality rip.

if it looks like too much on your screen,

you may not need the first folder in case your drive is only used for music,

or simply use M for Music and V for Video

WHY ? and how on earth do you ever reach a total of 255 ?

the way you organice folders must be very odd ? or very complex ?

PLease tell us what you do ? maybe we oversee a really smart way to do stuff ?

Here is what I do :

F://ALLMYMUSIC/ and then all my rips in their own folder,

this way they are sorted alfabetically, so searching is very fast and easy.

some artists or bands made several CDs, ok fine

then use ONE extra folder for band name, and then all their CD's

then it looks like:

some of my olders rips are MP3, so I need to know what is what,

I do it this way:

F://ALLMYMUSIC/Dire Straits/Brothers in Arms MP3/1 So Far Away.mp3

versus a full CD quality rip.

if it looks like too much on your screen,

you may not need the first folder in case your drive is only used for music,

or simply use M for Music and V for Video

File name and length are given by the CD metadata as per below,

/Volumes/data/Mac Music/John Eliot Gardiner/Mozart; Die Zauberflöte, Disc 1/13 Andreas Dieterich-Florian Woller-Douglas Welbat-Cyndia Sieden-Michael Schade-Detlef Roth-Nicolas Robertson-Susan Roberts-Uwe Peper-Harry Peeters-Christiane Oelze-Monteverdi Choir-Jan Andreas Mendel-Noel Mann-Wolf. Bei Männern, welche Liebe fühlen.aif

The Wagner is even worse!!!!!

Right, I have never had a path length issue with pop/rock/jazz, etc. Classical is where the only problems I have had are because of the overly long folder and track/file names generated by the rip or DSD extract on occasion.

Again, I have stayed out of trouble using short folder names from the top down. I have quite a few operas, including every Wagner opera on SACD in my library. So my folder tree in Windows looks like:

X:/DSD/Bxx/albumfoldername.../trackfilename....

Bxx, is just a cumulative batch number of the rip. So, I have only 11 characters of "overhead" in the drive letter and top two levels of folder names and punctuation. The albumfoldername and trackfilename can have the remaining 245 characters of the 256. I have had essentially no problem where I needed to shorten those since I adopted this scheme, including all my Wagner and other operas.

Right, I have never had a path length issue with pop/rock/jazz, etc. Classical is where the only problems I have had are because of the overly long folder and track/file names generated by the rip or DSD extract on occasion.

Again, I have stayed out of trouble using short folder names from the top down. I have quite a few operas, including every Wagner opera on SACD in my library. So my folder tree in Windows looks like:

X:/DSD/Bxx/albumfoldername.../trackfilename....

Bxx, is just a cumulative batch number of the rip. So, I have only 11 characters of "overhead" in the drive letter and top two levels of folder names and punctuation. The albumfoldername and trackfilename can have the remaining 245 characters of the 256. I have had essentially no problem where I needed to shorten those since I adopted this scheme, including all my Wagner and other operas.

True...not used to renaming the file name and, as you mention, the opera crowd are so underappreciated that the sum total, understandably, all want their name in the title.jpg. Love music but Computer Audio is still down the rabbit hole.

Best to All,

True...not used to renaming the file name and, as you mention, the opera crowd are so underappreciated that the sum total, understandably, all want their name in the title.jpg. Love music but Computer Audio is still down the rabbit hole.

Best to All,

BTW, another tip. As a precaution against the path length issue, I rip or extract my files into a working folder with a single character name close to the root level of the drive, something like:

X:/Y/albumfoldername/trackfilename

This allows even a few more characters for use by the albumfoldername/trackfilename against the 256 character limit.

I double check each album to verify all tracks have been successfully ripped or extracted. Then, I cut and paste all album folders for the batch from the working folder into the final destination folder, which will have a slightly longer path. That just takes a few seconds. If any paths are too long at that point, Windows will identify them and be unable to move them. So, I go back and fix those. Usually, this is rare and there is no problem. But, if there is, I shorten the albumfoldername and try again on the offending albums.

You can get around all this with Linux. Just download and run the distro live, transfer the files, and reboot to Windows when done.

?? Yes, Linux and Apple do not have path length issues like Windows. But, if I am understanding you, setting up the files in Linux such that the full path length in Windows >256 would still make those files inaccessible by any program in Windows.

?? Yes, Linux and Apple do not have path length issues like Windows. But, if I am understanding you, setting up the files in Linux such that the full path length in Windows >256 would still make those files inaccessible by any program in Windows.

No. It just works. Once you move the files with Linux, Windows can access them. I used to have this problem all the time, so now I use Linux any time I need to move files. I've been doing it this way for years, and never had this long file name issue again.

No. It just works. Once you move the files with Linux, Windows can access them. I used to have this problem all the time, so now I use Linux any time I need to move files. I've been doing it this way for years, and never had this long file name issue again.

Sorry, I still do not get it. My library is accessed via JRiver in Windows, and if the Windows path length to a media track file is >256, JRiver just cannot access it.

Sorry, I still do not get it. My library is accessed via JRiver in Windows, and if the Windows path length to a media track file is >256, JRiver just cannot access it.

I don't remember having any problems with jRiver. When I get home later, I'll try fooling with some long file names and see what happens and report back.