IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

Have just reached a new SQ benchmark with the T+A in my listening room yesterday night. Several improvements on my system recently:

- Went from power bank power supply to a dual-rail Paul Hynes SR7 on the opticalRendu and a MikroTik 10GBit switch. This made a huge effect. So important to provide the opticalRendu with a premium power supply. Really no subtle differences ... it put my system into a new league.

- Next I got an Innuous Phoenix for testing. Since it was a brand new unit, it is still burning in. Nevertheless, it brings improvements that made it impossible for me to return: much more prominent and better contured bass, more relaxed, more ease, more 3D, more contour to the singers/instruments. Still not sure yet whether it takes a way some of the openeness/flow of the direct oR-DAC8DSD usage. However, these aspects may improve as burn in of the Phoenix continues. Also the 2nd USB cable is now my old Audioquest Diamond as opposed to the great Sablon 2020 USB cable. Probably, I will have to get another Sablon 2020 USB to get back all of the openess. Not sure whether a was a good price/performance ratio ... for the same amount of DAC8DSD and Phoenix I would have gotten an Holo Audio May for example. Still once experienced, it is not possible now to kick the Phoenix out of my system despite its relatively high price. Here the differences are more subtle than the ones experienced when powering the oR with the SR7.

- Two days ago my 2nd MikroTik 10GBit switch (previous powered by a power bank) got an ifi iElite 24V power supply. At the same time the T+A DAC8DSD got a new seat on a Townshend Sesmic Isolation platform. The latter two elements (maybe along with the continued burn in of the Phoenix) finally paved the way for such a convincing new SQ benchmark ... and already before all of this I had thought of sonic nirvana reached.

After all I find it completely amazing how the T+A reacts to all those improvements. Still a very happy camper with it.

Next I will try an ifi iElite 5V power supply on the opticalModue (still powered by a power bank right now). Also another Townshend seismic isolation platform will be included ... maybe below a power distributor. Let's see ... but right now SQ is such that I would be perfectly happy to stop right here with all those improvements/optimization ... however once infected by audiophilia it will never stop I guess. :-)

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

6 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

You’ll need to rewire this according to T+A’s documentation.

Right, and thanks for pointing this out, @Gavin1977.

So, @ericuco, the T+A service note I attached above does indicate that some rewiring of the connector is required, and I should have mentioned it. This is definitely a "hobbyist level" project for tinkerers, not a quick plug and go routine.

I think one of the screw breakout connectors on that Amazon page I linked would make that relatively easy, as this is not a permanent wiring job, just making a tool for one-time use.

The service note also indicates you will need the terminal emulator utility Hyperterm to make this work.

CBF2CF52-F34C-446F-BD55-6E785DF6E0E7.thumb.png.38d95aeeca42e925217bca43469d833f.png

B62573D4-8A98-45B5-940F-C7EFA12460CB.thumb.png.87d97fd05f5ebf715bd7a3148fd15f69.png

1 hour ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Right, and thanks for pointing this out, @Gavin1977.

So, @ericuco, the T+A service note I attached above does indicate that some rewiring of the connector is required, and I should have mentioned it. This is definitely a "hobbyist level" project for tinkerers, not a quick plug and go routine.

I think one of the screw breakout connectors on that Amazon page I linked would make that relatively easy, as this is not a permanent wiring job, just making a tool for one-time use.

The service note also indicates you will need the terminal emulator utility Hyperterm to make this work.

CBF2CF52-F34C-446F-BD55-6E785DF6E0E7.thumb.png.38d95aeeca42e925217bca43469d833f.png

B62573D4-8A98-45B5-940F-C7EFA12460CB.thumb.png.87d97fd05f5ebf715bd7a3148fd15f69.png

Yes, I had noticed that and have already ordered appropriate parts to make a cable. There is a newer RS232 guide that references a RJ12 connector which is the same size but has more wires.

I am trying to go from version 2.3 to 2.7 so hopefully I don't brick my unit. If anyone has done this, please provide comments.

DAC8_DSD_RS232.pdf

You need the following cable setup (RJ11, RJ11-DB9 adapter, RS232-USB), connected like in the pictures. Once you have it, shutdown the DAC, connect the to the control port (not sys) on the DAC and USB on the PC. I think I originally ordered the wrong RJ cable (12) and it did not work so you can try but if it's not working try RJ11.

Run the Service Tool (it may open almost obscured. If so, drag it to middle of screen). Once opened, select COM port 3.

It should recognize the DAC. You can run test connection to see it and then firmware update.

T+A DAC8 1s.jpg

T+A DAC8 2s.jpg

On 5/15/2021 at 1:59 PM, sbenyo said:

Run the Service Tool (it may open almost obscured. If so, drag it to middle of screen). Once opened, select COM port 3.

The first version of the service tool on low resolution monitors opened somewhere in the lower half of the montor screen (sometimes almost hidden as @sbenyosaid). The current version should open in the left upper corner of the screen.

On 5/15/2021 at 1:59 PM, sbenyo said:

Once opened, select COM port 3.

The COM port number depends on your computer and can be different - you can look it up under "COM-Ports" in the Windows device manager.

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

Update:

Got my DAC8 DSD firmware upgraded to 2.7 (from 2.3) with the help of @OE333 who is a tremendous asset to AS, up there with Miska, John Swenson and the like. I am now able to play DSD on my opticalRendu without DoP.

I ended up constructing my own RS232 cable (pictured below).

One question is which Amanero CPLD firmware to use: CPLD_1081 or CPLD_1081_SWAPPEDSD?

IMG_1877.thumb.jpg.73bed8b5f1cd07f8ea34af4bc0baa90a.jpg

The “swapped” version reverses the left and right channels, which some playback equipment requires. I actually bumped into this when I updated my Amanero USB on my DAC 8. I chose the wrong one first (sorry, I can’t recall which one that was) and could tell that the channels had been reversed. I installed the other one, and the channels were corrected. If the channels are correct, then you have the right file. 

Interesting ... well, there are of course ways to compensate: Change audio channels L/R by switching XLR cables or speaker cables for example.

Still maybe relevant/important when using digital room correction filters generated by Acourate or AudioLense for example. Good to be aware of this. Many thanks!

2 hours ago, blue2 said:

Your profile still says "Taiko Audio modified T+A DAC 8 DSD". What do you have now?

Chord Qutest would you believe - it's significantly behind the T+A in stock form (just sounds like other ~£1000 DACs), however I have found some tweaks that elevate it to a much higher level where I now find it preferable to the T+A... also no DSD upsampling anymore which makes life a lot easier.  I intend to post a review shortly.  I have also just received a Hugo TT2 which I will also apply the same tweaks and see how that fairs before write up.  p.s. this was also before this became available 

Great to know about this new PGGB software. However, more suitable for DAC particularly strong with PCM. No DSD output from PGGB which would be the optimum for the DAC8DSD. Maybe usage of PGGB would be to produce better PCM via PGGB and then feeding this into HQPlayer for translation to DSD512 where the T+A shines.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Scyld said:

Finally after line 8 (which was discontinued) we have a new beast:

https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/audiosystems/series-200/dac-200-d-a-converter/

Great looks and top specs, but the price will be X2 (at least) according to my dealer.

Slap ethernet streaming on it like the T+A SDV HV and I'd be interested....

Hopefully they've also improved the resistors used in the volume control.

Other interesting things:

"USB-B inputs are based on the new high-resolution Thesycon chip, which processes signals up to DSD 1024"

"headphones are connected via a balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn headphone output, which draws its signal from a special high-performance headphone amplifier. In contrast to conventional chip solutions, this is of fully discreet construction, and is specially designed for the requirements of headphones."

It doesn't look like there are Vishay resistors though. No mentioning in the description too.

dac_200.jpg

This press release discloses why the DAC 200 has no Ethernet input. They are also introducing a "multiplayer" (the MP 200) that looks to be a streamer in a separate box. At least the DAC 200 includes a preamp, but it is not meant to stand alone with streaming or networked audio.

They are also offering a new power amp (A 200). So, a whole new series to replace the 8.

Regarding pricing, from the linked article; not as bad as feared above, although about $1,000 more than the DAC 8 DSD:

"... the T+A DAC 200 retails for £4990 / $5490 (approximately AU$9435) ..."

5 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

This press release discloses why the DAC 200 has no Ethernet input. They are also introducing a "multiplayer" (the MP 200) that looks to be a streamer in a separate box. At least the DAC 200 includes a preamp, but it is not meant to stand alone with streaming or networked audio.

They are also offering a new power amp (A 200). So, a whole new series to replace the 8.

Regarding pricing, from the linked article; not as bad as feared above, although about $1,000 more than the DAC 8 DSD:

"... the T+A DAC 200 retails for £4990 / $5490 (approximately AU$9435) ..."

Pricing is fair, especially since it plays at a similar level to Chord TT2.  MP 200 has no DSD capability, or pass through, so that's a disappointment.  Mola Mola Tambaqui is the better value proposition as it does it all, and only needs PCM.

15 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Pricing is fair, especially since it plays at a similar level to Chord TT2.  MP 200 has no DSD capability, or pass through, so that's a disappointment.  Mola Mola Tambaqui is the better value proposition as it does it all, and only needs PCM.

Are you 100% sure of that? Because that doesn't make sense. The DAC can handle DSD1024. To pair it with its dedicated media player / streamer and have that player not support DSD seems extremely ill-conceived, especially as all the other T+S 'systems' (from the series 8 up to the series 3100HV) support DSD at least up to DSD512...

That’s according to their official manual.

I’ve owned T+A DAC8 DSD, Hugo TT2 (current reference) and demoed a Tambaqui which to date is my favourite, but currently unaffordable.

HV series is apparently superb though - DSD direct via ethernet into the DAC.  Killer feature missing in the 200 series :-(