IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

13 hours ago, sbenyo said:

Any update regarding the Linux (Amanero) DSD512 support?

The 2003be_71A firmware is almost completed. There is a little DMA problem only.

At the moment Amanero is testing the new Window driver which is going to work with the above firmware. Apparently it should be released in the next few days. After that, Amanero will finalize the DMA issue with a firmware update.

When I got the T+A DAC half a year ago, I played around with the four PCM filters , but didn't notice a big difference. I settled for Filter 3 (Bezier 1), which is supposed to sound the most vinyl-like.

A month a go, I replaced my Dynaudio Contour s3.4 speakers with a used pair of Dynaudio Confidence C2, which have a much more revealing tweeter, while still sounding very smooth. 

Suddenly, the differences between the T+A filters where much more obvious. Filter 3 now sounds too polite, Filter 4 (Bezier 2) is more dynamic and forward. It is now my preferred one, except with poor sounding recordings which need to be tamed a bit, where I use Filter 3. I don't care about the two FIR filters, which offer no advantage over Bezier.

Claude

3 hours ago, bibo01 said:

The 2003be_71A firmware is almost completed. There is a little DMA problem only.

At the moment Amanero is testing the new Window driver which is going to work with the above firmware. Apparently it should be released in the next few days. After that, Amanero will finalize the DMA issue with a firmware update.

Thank you @bibo01 as usual ... 

Finger crossed ! 

Could you elaborate on the "little DMA problem" ?

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

1 hour ago, CatManDo said:

When I got the T+A DAC half a year ago, I played around with the four PCM filters , but didn't notice a big difference. I settled for Filter 3 (Bezier 1), which is supposed to sound the most vinyl-like.

A month a go, I replaced my Dynaudio Contour s3.4 speakers with a used pair of Dynaudio Confidence C2, which have a much more revealing tweeter, while still sounding very smooth. 

Suddenly, the differences between the T+A filters where much more obvious. Filter 3 now sounds too polite, Filter 4 (Bezier 2) is more dynamic and forward. It is now my preferred one, except with poor sounding recordings which need to be tamed a bit, where I use Filter 3. I don't care about the two FIR filters, which offer no advantage over Bezier.

I also tested all PCM filters and with my system and speakers which are very revealing and forward (Yamaha NS 1000M).
Bezier 2 is definitely the best. It is slightly better than Bezier 1 but add a bit more clearness/crispness that for me makes a difference.
I have now settled down on it and I don't change it anymore.

Hi Guys,

I am currently building a music server to connect directly to the T+A DAC 8 DSD. 

Have ordered a JCAT femto USB card.

Does anyone know if the T+A DAC 8 DSD needs USB power? I read somewhere that the USB card in the DAC is internally powered....
The JCAT USB card manual says the card doesn't actually need external power itself - is to power the USB output if needed.

If not... then will try without either power from the PC power supply (plan A) or external 5V supply (plan B when funds allow if needed).

Cheers,

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

On 24/09/2017 at 8:09 PM, sbenyo said:

If I understand correctly, the T+A DAC8 DSD does not any external power for USB.

The DAC works fine with just a simple cable between the DAC USB input and the computer USB so nothing else is needed.

Many thanks for the info.

At the moment, the JCAT USB card is sitting in Warsaw.... may be a while until it makes it to me in Australia!

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

6 minutes ago, eternaloptimist said:

Many thanks for the info.

At the moment, the JCAT USB card is sitting in Warsaw.... may be a while until it makes it to me in Australia!

Hello @eternaloptimist

Are you using JCAT USB card because you are tired to wait for AMANERO Linux FW update and want to use Windows ASIO driver to get DSD512 ?

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

22 minutes ago, volpone said:

Hello @eternaloptimist

Are you using JCAT USB card because you are tired to wait for AMANERO Linux FW update and want to use Windows ASIO driver to get DSD512 ?

This is definitely one reason.

I have been running Roon server and HQPlayer on a powerful PC in the study.... which is also used by my wife. As a result, sometimes I find the apps have been accidentally closed...(!)The endpoint is a MacMini. Not ideal, but I also like to output Spotify,  iTunes movies etc. which run on the MacMini.  I do find that HQPlayer and the NAA seem to lose connectivity, then it is a pain to restart the chain. It seems the NAA doesn't like to share the DAC... !

So... Simplifying to a powerful but silent PC with good USB output into the T+A DAC seemed like a good solution.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2017 at 3:09 PM, volpone said:

On 19/09/2017 at 11:19 AM, bibo01 said:

Hello, @bibo01,

Any news from Domenico ?

Nothing on github ! sad ... 

Thank you ...

Setup details

I was planning to buy the T+A DAC 8 DSD, but right now I changed my mind, because the Oppo Sonica DAC got a great review in HiFi News with even a better sound quality (88%) than the T+A DAC 8 DSD (85%) and the Oppo is remarkable cheaper too (They say a bargain). Another runner up is the Chord Hugo 2, but it's portable and looks like a Christmas tree. Did someone compare the Sonica with the T+A DAC 8 DSD?

17 minutes ago, jos said:

I was planning to buy the T+A DAC 8 DSD, but right now I changed my mind, because the Oppo Sonica DAC got a great review in HiFi News with even a better sound quality (88%) than the T+A DAC 8 DSD (85%) and the Oppo is remarkable cheaper too (They say a bargain). Another runner up is the Chord Hugo 2, but it's portable and looks like a Christmas tree. Did someone compare the Sonica with the T+A DAC 8 DSD?

Hifi News would be weighting it on the PCM performance side, in which case I'd agree entirely.  I currently have an LKS 004 (dual 9038 pro) which is a step improvement on PCM over the T+A.  It still cannot keep up with the T+A in DSD mode, though getting there.    If your primarily going to use this in PCM mode and up-sampling is not an option, then I too would consider a 9038 DAC instead.

Worth mentioning there's a different DSD implementation (inc output stage) to that of the PCM path in the T+A hence the large difference.

2 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Hifi News would be weighting it on the PCM performance side, in which case I'd agree entirely.  I currently have an LKS 004 (dual 9038 pro) which is a step improvement on PCM over the T+A.  It still cannot keep up with the T+A in DSD mode, though getting there.    If your primarily going to use this in PCM mode and up-sampling is not an option, then I too would consider a 9038 DAC instead.

Worth mentioning there's a different DSD implementation (inc output stage) to that of the PCM path in the T+A hence the large difference.

Thanks for this information, I will look into the DAC you mention. My files are, DSD files too, are all converted to ALAC files, because I use iTunes as my pirmary database in conjunction with the sync facility of Audirvana Plus. I agree with you that the DSD is very good with T+A. Another option is the new Luxman DA-250 DAC, but rather expensive too. I will take some more time to sort it out.

23 minutes ago, jos said:

Thanks for this information, I will look into the DAC you mention. My files are, DSD files too, are all converted to ALAC files, because I use iTunes as my pirmary database in conjunction with the sync facility of Audirvana Plus. I agree with you that the DSD is very good with T+A. Another option is the new Luxman DA-250 DAC, but rather expensive too. I will take some more time to sort it out.

Take a look at the Modwright Oppo Sonica enhancements. I hear good things.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

29 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Take a look at the Modwright Oppo Sonica enhancements. I hear good things.

Thanks too! I will look to this DAC too. The L.K.S. DAC is using the same processor as the Sonica and a lot cheaper than the T+A too. So, this kind of DAC’s do have a far better price-quality then  DACs with their own processors, like Chord, PSaudio etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,
According to https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12#issuecomment-341250646 Jussi Laako ( @Miska ) confirm long waited new AMANERO firmware "2003be" is now OK with native DSD 512 on Linux (tried on his Amanero Combo384 equipped DSC1 DSD DAC) , so:

- Somebody succeed upgrading DAC8 DSD firmware according to T+A "service information" to erase the USB firmware and to re-program the USB receiver with the standard new AMANERO firmware 2003be ?

- Confirmation the "high pitched whine in idle" issue is fixed ?

- On Windows, new driver seems required with 2003be and might be released "soon" from AMANERO, confirmation ?

Thank you ..

Setup details

On 3/13/2017 at 4:43 AM, yyz said:

Has anyone used the T+A DAC 8 DSD as a digital preamp directly driving power amps. I am interested in the T+A A 3000 HV stereo amp for the DAC. I understand that this amp sounds great with the expensive T+A analogue preamp. However, I have no need for analogue inputs and would prefer to use my DAC as a digital preamp.

I know it's been months since this question was asked but hopefully my experience will help others. Soon after buying the T+A DAC 8 DSD I read in the owner's manual it was so good it could be used as a preamp. I believe in music with a subwoofer so I asked forum members how to connect my sub without pre outs on the preamp. I was told I could connect it to the 2nd set of output terminals on the T+A (RCA) if I was using the XLR terminals to connect to my amp (which I was). I disconnected my preamp (one less piece of equipment was desirable) and connected the sub to the RCA outs. The sound was quite an improvement over my 24/192 DAC, but I wondered why with some songs, especially with background singers, the voices came directly from the speakers (changing speaker placement did not get rid of this phenomenon).  Yesterday I stumbled on a forum comment that said if the RCA output is used at the same time as the XLR it could adversely affect the sound quality of the XLR connection. So I dragged out my preamp and reconnected it (computer/HQPlayer->T+A DAC 8 DSD->preamp->power amp.). I'm amazed. The sound stage became meatier, wider, deeper with multiple layering and increased precise detailing. No more background singers coming from the speakers but sound is behind my speakers, and fills my listening space. The reason: when I first bought the T+A I had a computer capable of 256DSD max. About a month later I bought a more powerful computer capable of DSD512 and never thought to try the new set up with the preamp until reading the comment about simultaneous RCA and XLR use. Now I'm truly experiencing the "WOW" of 512DSD. This is not meant to discourage use of the T+A DAC 8 DSD as a preamp. I just want to share that one shoe doesn't always fit every foot. Hope this helps.

19 hours ago, musicbuff said:

Yesterday I stumbled on a forum comment that said if the RCA output is used at the same time as the XLR it could adversely affect the sound quality of the XLR connection

I specifically asked T+A support about this before I bought the  DAC, and I was told you could use both simultaneously without affecting SQ. I use the RCA for my subwoofers and it all sounds pretty good.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

I don't doubt what you say Richard. As I said, I also read the DAC 8 can be used without a pre-amplifier (in the owner's manual page 39). I now remember when I first tried my set up with the preamp I glossed over the line that says "To achieve the highest possible audio quality with integrated amplifiers we recommend to bypass the volume control of the DAC 8 DSD by switching the switch on the back panel to the setting LINE." This time I followed the manufacturer's instructions and things really improved. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from using this fine DAC as a pre-amp. I'm just sharing the experience I had with my system.

Obviously, if you use the DAC 8 with an integrated amp or a pre-amp, there is no point in having an additional volume control in the DAC. That's why T+A recommends to deactivate it.

With the sonic differences that you describe (voices being less forward, different soundstage), you can't be certain which sounds right. A component can also add some artificial soundstage. You'd have to try different amps to see if the DAC generally sounds better with a pre-amp, or if your pre-amp adds a sonic characteristic that you prefer.

Claude

CatManDo, I obviously realize that now. As far as trying different amps, that's a luxury I do not have. And like I said, No more background singers coming from the speakers but sound is behind my speakers, and fills my listening space." So if my present set up is adding some "artificial soundstage" I'm happy with it.

• 2 months later...

No wonder this took me so long to find going back through the forum pages... There hasn't been a post since November!

Well, I've finally bought one for myself, so in a month or so I'll get to hear what it's all about. But what about the Linux DSD512 playback upgrade? Does anyone have any more info? 

1 hour ago, Ben-M said:

No wonder this took me so long to find going back through the forum pages... There hasn't been a post since November!

Well, I've finally bought one for myself, so in a month or so I'll get to hear what it's all about. But what about the Linux DSD512 playback upgrade? Does anyone have any more info? 

As I bought an T+A 8 DSD dac myself around Christmas, I had an email exchange with Lothar Wiemann, lead developper at T+A.

Here is (part of) his response :

I have the intention to start a new try with the latest Amanero firmware within the next weeks.
If the problems have been solved on the Amanero side I would be happy to switch over to the latest Amanero 
firmware to support DSD512 under Linux.
But at this moment I can really not answer the question how well it will work.
Before T+A will switch to a new Amanero firmware we must be 100% sure that everything works well for all our 
customers and for all OS (Linux, Windows and MacOS) ...

T+A is absolutely committed to support DSD512 also for Linux, but they depend 100% for Amanero to finally deliver on all OS's.

If anybody has some insights at Amanero, feedback from their site would be welcome.  It remains absolutely quiet for a long time now on Github

https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12

Dirk

4 hours ago, ddetaey said:

As I bought an T+A 8 DSD dac myself around Christmas, I had an email exchange with Lothar Wiemann, lead developper at T+A.

Here is (part of) his response :

I have the intention to start a new try with the latest Amanero firmware within the next weeks.
If the problems have been solved on the Amanero side I would be happy to switch over to the latest Amanero 
firmware to support DSD512 under Linux.
But at this moment I can really not answer the question how well it will work.
Before T+A will switch to a new Amanero firmware we must be 100% sure that everything works well for all our 
customers and for all OS (Linux, Windows and MacOS) ...

T+A is absolutely committed to support DSD512 also for Linux, but they depend 100% for Amanero to finally deliver on all OS's.

If anybody has some insights at Amanero, feedback from their site would be welcome.  It remains absolutely quiet for a long time now on Github

https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12

Dirk

I spoke with Amanero a coup'le of days ago.

Regarding Windows driver, there is some bureaucratic hold on Microsoft side in order to publish a valid certificate. They asked for an amazing amounts of legal papers.

Anyhow, the new Windows driver is going to be compatible with the present (and future revisions) updated firmware for Linux -  2003be. Such firmware allows DSD512 in Linux. Some problems have been solved but it has still some little nagging issues. Unfortunately the resource on-board are small, so it's not very easy to solve all issues, although it's doable. Amanero is going to work to make a further firmware revision.

Because the present firmware is not perfect I don't see T&A install it just yet.