IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

Just spoke to T+A support: no need for new firmware to accommodate DSD 256 and 512 from Linux, you just need to use the new 4.9 kernel!

I am not a Linux guy so I can not confirm I just own a microRendu...will head over to that thread...

Was the amanero module flashed with the new firmware (little or Big Endian version compatible)?

I gotta assume the microRendu/Linux certification process (Jurgen and Jesus adding the code to SonicOrbiter, etc) is still a step that you'd need to wait for. But this is overall potentially (if only for the false positives previously) great news.

Not flashed...T+A says it is not necessary...just kernel 4.9 + driver (forgot to mention that last part earlier)

On the developer forum I saw talk of a 1099x firmware for the Amanero and Miska and othere were there. I rcall one person not wanting to flash, as they didnt want to brick their module, while others did multiple flashes for testing purposes.

Hey guys,

MY DAC8 has arrived. I can confirmed that DSD512 on T+A DAC8 is a BIG step forward compared to DSD256. I did compare the DSD256+ exasound e12 at 12288000 sample rate with T+A DAC8 dsd256, both sound good.

In other words, if T+A DAC8 only supports up to DSD256, exasound is still going to be my choice.

Now I have an issue. I believe the higher the sample rate, the better the sound will be when using T+A with HQplayer.

Thus, I untick the "auto rate family", tick the Pipeline SDM, tick the CUDA offload, run my I7 3770 + nivida gtx780 at 24576000.

Oversampling: poly-sinc-2s, Modulator: ASDM7 512+fs

Music playback is smooth in general, but I still have some tiny pop sound from time to time.

Does it mean the T+A usb interface got its bottleneck not stable at 24576000 sample rate? Or my CPU is not power enough? It takes only 30% CPU, 25% GPU running this setup.

Any idea? Any help would be appreciated.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

Does it mean the T+A usb interface got its bottleneck not stable at 24576000 sample rate? Or my CPU is not power enough? It takes only 30% CPU, 25% GPU running this setup.

Any idea? Any help would be appreciated.

Likely your CPU/GPU is on the edge, check the per-core loads in Resource Monitor. If memory bandwidth or GPU access becomes an issue, it doesn't necessarily show up in the load figures. You could as well leave "auto rate family checked", set limit to 24.576 MHz and leave the rate in main window to "auto", it lightens up the load a little...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Likely your CPU/GPU is on the edge, check the per-core loads in Resource Monitor. If memory bandwidth or GPU access becomes an issue, it doesn't necessarily show up in the load figures. You could as well leave "auto rate family checked", set limit to 24.576 MHz and leave the rate in main window to "auto", it lightens up the load a little...

Thanks a lot Miska. I did find the pop sound disappear when I check the auto rate family.

You are correct, load figure doesn't mean anything, running DSD512 with auto rate family checked is still not quite stable if doing some multitask like opening web browser, which can lead to the stutter.

Another thing is quite weird, when I used exasound dac, when I checked the SDM pipeline, it cause the music hiccup while in T+A's case, it's the opposite, if I don't pick the SDM pipeline, it will playback continuous hiccup. Any reasons for that?

BTW, I also run a fidelizer pro on my PC. Hope it won't pull HQplayer's leg.

Guess I need to build a beast to accommodate the T+A. Upgrade my CPU to i7 7700K and GPU to Titan. :)

Thanks again!

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

Can someone comment the DAC 8 dsd's headphone amp? I'm spaced constrained and wondering how it sounds as a standalone dac/headphone amp (and any comparisons to standalone amps if people are using them).

Thanks

It is a fairly decent headphone amp, but I prefer Auralic Taurus with Audeze cans.

I did upsampling testing for both pcm and dsd

up sampling to various dsd 64/128/256/512

my head dac is the latest clocks and firm wares

while r2r is very good in pcm and pretty good in dsd

the chipless edges it for sure

the new head dac has two filter cap settings to pick from too

a dsd cap 1/dsd cap 2

i prefer one seeming closer to being there.

Reg upsampling there is a sweet spot and I have no idea why

upsampling dsd does not good and seems to harm it by smoothing it out

pcm sounds best st dsd512 no doubt anything below for me is no good

now what it does do is pretty cool

staging increases / voclals are separated much more

it's very noticinke in multiple singers but even just one has more details a real increase

it does make it dsd some how.

Now maybe my Cust caps matters but I cannot confirm I do a another one to try with a simple quad linear psu and a non Xeon CPU

mine is a xeon 3.7

4 gig ram paul pangs ram

3 internal solid state drives

2 1TB music

1 120 for os

four D.C. Regulated battery supplies

win SER 2012

audio optimizer

pauls ver 3 USB card

USB own power

iOS own power

music own power

main board own power

jriver on the fly upsample some settings needed to be changed to stop studder

lampi has latest clocks

updated firmware

tubes tak 274/b / kr5u4g

driver of not bypassed vt99

output krpx25 /kr242 /eml lampi edition globe 45 mesh

Dac used is a lampi the why is to show there can be some good in upsampling

custom computer music servers all fanless.

My thoughts were someone was lookijg to build one

also in the thread upsampling was discussed at various rates including dsd 512

please feel free to ask any other questions as my laungauge is pretty bad but understanding and slicing is good.

Dac used is a lampi the why is to show there can be some good in upsampling

custom computer music servers all fanless.

My thoughts were someone was lookijg to build one

also in the thread upsampling was discussed at various rates including dsd 512

please feel free to ask any other questions as my laungauge is pretty bad but understanding and slicing is good.

Maybe better in a Lampi thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

doing Bi-amp with the Dac 8 and using the XLR output with an XLR to RCa adapter is it better to let the pin ground floating or to solder it with the negative pin ?

Here is some advice from our chief engineer for the Sound Galleries Music server. He has a lot of experience with the T+A DAC 8

"The RCA connector is simply wired to pin 2 ("positive") and pin 1, signal ground. So my first suggestion is to leave pin 3 floating as it is by default when using the rca output on the DAC 8. However, if the amplifiers have a similar input impedance the dac 8 may perform better using pin 2 and pin 1 for 1 amplifier and pin 3 and pin 1 for the other but reverse phase on the latter."

Cheers,

Geoff

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out.

Best,

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

hi geof your solutions works fine with one rail per amplifier. can't really say it 's better than with ground and negative pins tie together. but definitly not worse :)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker