IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

• 2 weeks later...
T+A DAC 8 DSD gets an excellent review on Audiostream including HQPlayer DSD512 upsampling using SGM server.

Hi blue2,

I may have missed the reference in the review, but what server was the reviewer using to feed the totalDac and Rossini DACs which the reviewer preferred over the T+A DAC8, albeit by "inches"? Did he use the SGM server on the totalDac and Rossini as well?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Hi blue2,I may have missed the reference in the review, but what server was the reviewer using to feed the totalDac and Rossini DACs which the reviewer preferred over the T+A DAC8, albeit by "inches"? Did he use the SGM server on the totalDac and Rossini as well?Thanks.Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I'd ask Michael Lavorgna :) I don't see anything explicit but he does say "in-use during the DAC 8 review: totaldac d1-six, Sound Galleries SGM server". No mention of the dCS Rossini except in his comment that the DAC 8 is only bettered by these 2. hifal has already commented with a strong recommendation to take it to the next level with SGM.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

I'd ask Michael Lavorgna :) I don't see anything explicit but he does say "in-use during the DAC 8 review: totaldac d1-six, Sound Galleries SGM server". No mention of the dCS Rossini except in his comment that the DAC 8 is only bettered by these 2. hifal has already commented with a strong recommendation to take it to the next level with SGM.

Thanks Blue2. Will try to reach out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

T+A DAC 8 DSD gets an excellent review on Audiostream including HQPlayer DSD512 upsampling using SGM server.

I was somewhat surprised to see Michael describe DSD512 in the very first paragraph of his review as "512 times the CD rate." Doesn't he understand the difference between PCM and DSD? An SACD is DSD64, so DSD 512 is 8 times the SACD rate, but an SACD isn't 64 times the CD rate, it's a different form of coding.

Maybe you don't need to understand it to appreciate the difference. :)

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I was somewhat surprised to see Michael describe DSD512 in the very first paragraph of his review as "512 times the CD rate." Doesn't he understand the difference between PCM and DSD? An SACD is DSD64, so DSD 512 is 8 times the SACD rate, but an SACD isn't 64 times the CD rate, it's a different form of coding.

Maybe you don't need to understand it to appreciate the difference. :)

I don't see anything wrong with what Michael wrote. PCM and DSD are different forms of coding but:

• 44.1 kHz (Redbook PCM) * 64 = 2,822.4 kHz (SACD Rate)
  • 44.1 kHz (Redbook PCM) * 512 = 22,579.2 kHz (DSD512 Rate)

SACD's data rate actually is 64 times the CD rate.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I don't see anything wrong with what Michael wrote. PCM and DSD are different forms of coding but:

• 44.1 kHz (Redbook PCM) * 64 = 2,822.4 kHz (SACD Rate)
  • 44.1 kHz (Redbook PCM) * 512 = 22,579.2 kHz (DSD512 Rate)

SACD's data rate actually is 64 times the CD rate.

I stand corrected. :) Of course they aren't measuring the same thing, but I from a sampling rate speed, you are correct. My apologies.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I stand corrected. :) Of course they aren't measuring the same thing, but I from a sampling rate speed, you are correct. My apologies.

In HQPlayer, the 44.1k 16-bit integer CD data is first upsampled using 512x digital filter to 22.6 MHz 64-bit floating point before entering the modulator stage to produce DSD bitstream... So from upsampling factor point of view it is also correct. So the intermediate phase has 2048x the data rate of original (4 * 512) and final DSD output has data rate 32x of the original.

So depends on how you want to view it. :)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

In HQPlayer, the 44.1k 16-bit integer CD data is first upsampled using 512x digital filter to 22.6 MHz 64-bit floating point before entering the modulator stage to produce DSD bitstream... So from upsampling factor point of view it is also correct. So the intermediate phase has 2048x the data rate of original (4 * 512) and final DSD output has data rate 32x of the original.

another use for the Dac8 with Hq player , playing PCM straight i'v got 20° celsius in the living room and when upsampling to DSD 512 it raise 21° ,

great feature for winter time :)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

This is a seminal post from Jussi ! It suggests the weighting of factors that deliver the surprisingly big sound quality up lift when going from DSD 256 to DSD 512

Forget DXD or DSD 512 DAC's, we want under our Christmas tree in 11 months time a PCM 64 bit (floating) / 22.6 MHz DAC

How would R2R handle 64 bit floating ?!?

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Forget DXD or DSD 512 DAC's, we want under our Christmas tree in 11 months time a PCM 64 bit (floating) / 22.6 MHz DAC

That is just plain unrealistic and impossible by physics... Even for 24-bit integer.

How would R2R handle 64 bit floating ?!?

It cannot :)

R2R and PCM are plain stupid ideas for hardware, there are better ways like SDM DACs. :)

That is just plain unrealistic and impossible by physics... Even for 24-bit integer.

It cannot :)

R2R and PCM are plain stupid ideas for hardware, there are better ways like SDM DACs. :)

Jussi,

My post was Just tongue in cheek school boy humor ! This type of silly post should have been saved by me for April 1st

Apologies for posting on January 2nd

Happy New Year !

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Maybe if we LN2 cool the DAC chip? Hmm what are the molecular limits of laser trim...

For 22.6 MHz it is really hard, because the settling time vs settling precision requirements become so demanding. If the output doesn't settle even to ½ LSB accuracy within less than ½ of the sample period, the "resolution" becomes sort of pointless.

For 22.6 MHz it is really hard, because the settling time vs settling precision requirements become so demanding. If the output doesn't settle even to ½ LSB accuracy within less than ½ of the sample period, the "resolution" becomes sort of pointless.

[emoji6][emoji6]... testing to see if you are genuine Finnish -- pass [emoji41]

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Well. My primary USB bridge is an LKS that uses an Amanero board. Tidal also doesn't see it; audio still goes through the interface but it's just not detected in Tidal. I also tried an XMOS-based Gustard U12, still not detected.

Anyway I have a Meridian Explorer 2 on order; if that doesn't get detected either something is up with my music server.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Well. My primary USB bridge is an LKS that uses an Amanero board. Tidal also doesn't see it; audio still goes through the interface but it's just not detected in Tidal. I also tried an XMOS-based Gustard U12, still not detected

Thanks. Good to know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Ted,

I've just placed the order of T+A DAC8 DSD. Now I can compare exasound e12 DSD256+ vs T+A DAC8 DSD512+ through HQplayer.

Can't wait for it! :D

Off the topic: exasound e12 upsampling to 12288000 with DSD256+fs modulator sounds the best. I would recommend untick the auto rate family option for upsampling to highest rate.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature