IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

18 hours ago, Quadman said:

Please, are you running win 10 home on this and what tweaks have you done to make this work.  Also what PSU do you use to power it, I would think a good LT3045 based 3A psu would be perfect for this.

... deleted - hit the save button before ready - sorry

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

18 hours ago, Quadman said:

Please, are you running win 10 home on this and what tweaks have you done to make this work.  Also what PSU do you use to power it, I would think a good LT3045 based 3A psu would be perfect for this.

Yes, this little board runs Win10. Equipped with 32G eMMC and 4G RAM. Processor is a z8350 Atom Quadcore @ max. 4x1920 MHz.

I have not experimented with pwr supplies yet, have done functional testing only. For these tests I used a standard USB SMPS (2.5A).

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

13 hours ago, Miska said:

Well, native DSD support was added to Linux kernel on April 2013... ;) First supported DACs were Playback Designs ones.

Miska,

It was not my intention to claim that T+A buit the first DSD capable DACs.

Regarding native DSD support on Linux: To my best knowledge DSD support started at around kernel version  3.17 / 3.18 and ALSA 1.0.28. This must have been at around end of 2014 and it was experimental work at that time. I don't know when native DSD made it into the mainline kernel, but at the time when we made our design decisions (early 2014), Linux support was as far as I remember not a feature found on DACs available at that time.

But maybe all this leads a bit off topic....

On 9/16/2018 at 4:43 PM, guiltyboxswapper said:

I should add that I've placed small BGA heatsinks on my CPLD and MCU inside the T+A, which may explain the differing results. 

I previously applied heatsinks to an Amanero board with 2004be connected to a Cyan DSD, inspired by your previous comment as shown in the picture below. However, afraid to say that I couldn't get positive results in my case. Maybe dependent on the selection of heatsink and grease. Well, I might try the same approach with DAC 8 DSD, if the sound with the current 2005be is going to be less tolerable. But, for now, it's okay.

Regards,

amn.jpg

very nice setup but you will not reach the entire value of your T+A dac like that , Roon is good for GUI but so so for PCM to DSD512.

1 ;  run an external PC for roon core  and HQplayer processing PCM to DSD512 

2  install HQplayer on the LP  and run it as NAA   ( connected to the main PC network)

3 you can use Roon remote from the LP or iphone ipad..

4 use a LPS on the LP

result you will have a much better sound and your LP will run cooler

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

7 hours ago, OE333 said:

Regarding native DSD support on Linux: To my best knowledge DSD support started at around kernel version  3.17 / 3.18 and ALSA 1.0.28. This must have been at around end of 2014 and it was experimental work at that time. I don't know when native DSD made it into the mainline kernel, but at the time when we made our design decisions (early 2014), Linux support was as far as I remember not a feature found on DACs available at that time.

But maybe all this leads a bit off topic....

I know when it started because I was involved in that process... And I checked the git log before posting since I cannot remember such dates out of my head... :) Regarding audio things, I'm usually ahead of what is in mainline releases, because I follow the development quite closely. And when necessary I make changes to kernel/ALSA and submit those upstream too.

Before specific DSD support it was fairly straightforward to use U8 PCM format at 8th of the DSD rate, since it didn't overlap with PCM support of any existing hardware.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, juanitox said:

very nice setup but you will not reach the entire value of your T+A dac like that , Roon is good for GUI but so so for PCM to DSD512.

1 ;  run an external PC for roon core  and HQplayer processing PCM to DSD512 

2  install HQplayer on the LP  and run it as NAA   ( connected to the main PC network)

3 you can use Roon remote from the LP or iphone ipad..

4 use a LPS on the LP

result you will have a much better sound and your LP will run cooler

... completely agreed.

The setup I described is the one I use for testing the stability of the streaming. It is very easy to set up and it helps me to find out if everything works (technically).

It was not meant in any way as a recommendation for a real listening system.

It should only point out a possible way to get high sample rate streaming using a windows based SBC as ethernet/USB bridge. 

I think it should work well with HQ player, too.

2 hours ago, OE333 said:

My mentioning of the small "LattePanda" (LP) Single Board Computer (SBC) working as ethernet/USB bridge made some members of this forum ask for more details.

I've used LogicSupply's CL100 (you'll want to replace the standard wall-wart PSU though) as a Windows based NAA for the DAC8 DSD. However, IMO, Windows is quite hefty piece of software to run just an audio endpoint...

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

I've used LogicSupply's CL100 (you'll want to replace the standard wall-wart PSU though) as a Windows based NAA for the DAC8 DSD. However, IMO, Windows is quite hefty piece of software to run just an audio endpoint...

I argree, Windows is indeed a hefty piece of software for this task - but the LattePanda offers a quite neat (and affordable) way to do the streaming with all DACs that rely on Windows/ASIO for streaming.

I am not saying that this is the best way to do it - I was only trying to give a hint to those who want to try it with a Windows based bridge.

... and according to my experience it works quite well.

3 minutes ago, OE333 said:

I am not saying that this is the best way to do it - I was only trying to give a hint to those who want to try it with a Windows based bridge.

... and according to my experience it works quite well.

Yeah, it works quite well, but not something I personally like to use. Windows 10 does a lot of interfering crap on it's own, like automatic updates in background, including automatic reboots, etc. My biggest hate is "ModulesInstallerWorker" that it launches in background and eats lot of CPU and I/O bandwidth.

Now I rather keep my DAC8 DSD connected straight to DAC UP port of my i7-6950X server... Works just as well. And with 10 cores, Windows interferes a little bit less... :D

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yeah, it works quite well, but not something I personally like to use. Windows 10 does a lot of interfering crap on it's own, like automatic updates in background, including automatic reboots, etc. My biggest hate is "ModulesInstallerWorker" that it launches in background and eats lot of CPU and I/O bandwidth.

Now I rather keep my DAC8 DSD connected straight to DAC UP port of my i7-6950X server... Works just as well. And with 10 cores, Windows interferes a little bit less... :D

I agree - direct USB connection to the server will probably always be the best solution.

But you see,  I am married now since 27 years and this might rapidly change if I set up my server PC in our living room right next to our (very nice and decent) HiFi system.  So I think I will continue streaming over ethernet...

Regarding Win updates see item 7.) in my post above.

33 minutes ago, Miska said:

I think you must learn more about Windows 10 ?

BR

Wolft

13 minutes ago, wolft said:

I think you must learn more about Windows 10 ?

No, I don't want to. Spending 30 years developing software for Windows is enough suffering.

Regarding Win updates see item 7.) in my post above.

That still doesn't stop rest of the automated background stuff. Some of the stuff can be tamed by hammering the system enough, but is still has lot of cruft left. While on Linux I can run the OS and audio streaming on 64 MB RAM on 400 MHz single-core ARM9...

11 hours ago, Miska said:

I know when it started because I was involved in that process... And I checked the git log before posting since I cannot remember such dates out of my head... :) Regarding audio things, I'm usually ahead of what is in mainline releases, because I follow the development quite closely. And when necessary I make changes to kernel/ALSA and submit those upstream too.

Before specific DSD support it was fairly straightforward to use U8 PCM format at 8th of the DSD rate, since it didn't overlap with PCM support of any existing hardware.

Jussi, has anyone from Amanero ever contacted you to fix this Linux native DSD512 support issue?

I have a feeling you would fix it...

Somebody from Amanero please pay the man a small fee for his time ! ?

5 hours ago, bibo01 said:

Having followed the matter with Domenico of Amanero, I can tell you that there are hardware restrictions that are not easy to overcome.

What do you mean exactly? Are you referring to the processing capability of the Amanero board, as Linux can be run on a variety of hardware?

TIA

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

2 hours ago, Miska said:

I did native Linux support for it quite a while ago and it has been in mainline kernels for a while too. But the problem is Amanero's firmware which I cannot do anything about...

Another problem is that certain lazy people insisted that it must work the same way as XMOS implementation and that probably adds quite a bit to the firmware challenges trying to make enough out of the limited resources there... (they should have fixed MPD instead of complaining that firmware must be fixed for MPD - fixing user space software could have been probably done in hours, now it's been months)

Hmmm that almost appears anti-competitive.  The newer XMOS ASICs clearly have much more headroom than the Amanero designs...

1 hour ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Hmmm that almost appears anti-competitive.  The newer XMOS ASICs clearly have much more headroom than the Amanero designs...

Complexity in hardware very often brings other unwanted side effects (e.g. jitter). In many respects the Amanero is a very fine solution. With a Windows source it performs just perfect.

I keep my fingers crossed that this now can also be achieved for Linux....

9 hours ago, bibo01 said:

Having followed the matter with Domenico of Amanero, I can tell you that there are hardware restrictions that are not easy to overcome.

Would it be possible to ask Domenico to generate two firmware.  One which works with MPD and one which does not.  I am all for a stable firmware by losing functionality to support MPD.  Can you say I am selfish ?

3 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Would it be possible to ask Domenico to generate two firmware.  One which works with MPD and one which does not.  I am all for a stable firmware by losing functionality to support MPD.  Can you say I am selfish ?

For a little while, such existed. There were big- and little-endian versions of the firmware. Driver still detects and supports both. The newest firmwares are big-endian only.