IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

6 hours ago, Miska said:

With PCM inputs it is just an ordinary DAC with TI's PCM1795 DAC chips in mono mode... And the digital filter with limited output rate limiting the output resolution, so you get some correlated images in the output.

I'll be doing the DSD side, I think i'm just paranoid about using my Windows PC as a source again.  Excited to try out your software Miska, I've heard nothing but superlatives.

I just listened to the Harry Potter track multiple times with my ear glued to the speaker. Can't hear a pop. I will try headphones later today and report back.

Poly-sinx-xtr-mp2s : AMSDM7 512 + fs 

PC (Roon +  HQ Player) | Allo US Bridge Sig + Shanti LPS | SOTM TX-USB Ultra + SPS500 PSU| T+A Dac 8 DSD | Luxman C-900u + M-900u | PMC MB2 Se

Just got my T+A Dac installed yesterday, and have to say I really love it so far.

If I had to describe the playback at DSD512 its like it takes the PCM skeleton of sound and adds real body, density, and color to it.  Real flesh and blood. This was with Roon upsampling, no fussing with hqplayer yet.

This was also straight from a Windows pc with no usb gizmos.  I tried an Iso Regen with it but I don’t think it improved the sound.  It made it feel kind of sluggish to be honest.  I need to give that longer evaluation.

I also tried my SMS-200 feeding the PCM side and it was no contest; Win PC feeding DSD512 was just much better.  My PC fears have been alleviated.  So either DSD512 is just THAT much better or this DAC’s usb input is much less sensitive than my Fostex to the source.

When I compared the PS Audio DirectStream to my Fostex HP-A8 I was completely underwhelmed.  I’m so glad I sold that and got the T+A Dac instead.  It sounds fantastic.

Also of note, I tried a pair of neutrik XLR to RCA ADAPTERS on the DAC since my integrated only has unbalanced inputs.  I immediately heard clipping distortion when I tried this and yanked them.

Do you think the balanced outs were trying to send 4.5 volts out instead of 2 volts?

Has anyone found a way to go XLR to RCA on this DAC?  From reading I hear the XLR output is cleaner and worthwhile to pursue.

On 6/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, emcdade said:

Also of note, I tried a pair of neutrik XLR to RCA ADAPTERS on the DAC since my integrated only has unbalanced inputs.  I immediately heard clipping distortion when I tried this and yanked them.

Do you think the balanced outs were trying to send 4.5 volts out instead of 2 volts?

Has anyone found a way to go XLR to RCA on this DAC?  From reading I hear the XLR output is cleaner and worthwhile to pursue.

The specs for the analog outputs of the DAC8 DSD are 5.0V for XLR and 2.5V for RCA. I don't know if this forum discussion may be of assistance. Is it safe to convert XLR to RCA

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Like many I've been waiting for over 12 months for Native DSD512 Linux support to come to this DAC.

I'm a Mac user and only want my microRendu NAA in my listening room, with HQP Embedded outside the listening room.

While it's been slow it's nice to still see steady progress - they haven't given up.

Thanks @bibo01 for the updates and hopefully the great news we're all waiting for eventually comes.

3 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

Probably because I have been pestering Amanero all this time...and I do not even have a T&A DAC (although I would like to) :)

I'm in the same boat - I don't have the DAC but my finger/mouse pointer has been locked and loaded on the 'buy now' button , for over 12 months, waiting for this. 

I'm not interested in a Windows NAA inside my listening room (just a personal thing).

I have 4 friends waiting for this update ready to buy this DAC also... We've all heard it on home demo and all use HQP but Linux support at DSD512 is essential for us.

17 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Like many I've been waiting for over 12 months for Native DSD512 Linux support to come to this DAC.

T+A will very likely come up with a firmware update solution recently since current one already have an issue when play 24.6M on windows OS as I previously reported. So the uncertain waiting might be finally ended since we now have an real issue on windows OS. No excuse for them. ?

I got the reply from T+A last week and was told that recent Amanero test is good but they didn't tell me if it's linux DSD512 supported. One thing interesting is: one of the firmware update solutions is to do it "over the air" through their MP8. But they need time to think more solutions to ensure the firmware upgrade is safe.

So finger crossed and be patient.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

@louisxiawei , can you explain ' over the air' and MP8? What does it mean? 

@bibo01, at the signalist dsc1 forum at diyaudio they tested 2nd june a new amanero firmware CPLD_for_1080, firmware_2004be, oem tool118. 

They find that there are still dsd 512 artifacts with linux native. Is that the new firmware that was foreseen? Or can we expect more new versions in the near future? 

@louisxiawei , can you explain ' over the air' and MP8? What does it mean? 

https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/audiosystems/series-8/mp-8/

Doesn't really make sense to require use a streamer? Why not just create an update tool for Windows/Mac/Linux - I think something already exists provided by Amanero?

@louisxiawei Pls keep us updated with your T+A Q&A and any further clarification you receive.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

OK. To be specific, there are two potential options to upgrade the DAC8 DSD firmware suggested by T+A from the previous email reply.

1. The way described in the attached service note S0133 and this approach requires users to open the enclosure.

2. T+A claims that the "official" way is updating the DAC8DSD firmware first, then use this latest firmware to update the Amanero. Just quote the originial reply "This way can either be done according the attached service note S0126 or if you have access to a T+A MP8 streamer it could be done "over the air" using the MP8." The detail of the upgrade with MP8 has not been said, though. 

If I recall correctly, some member on CA previously shared these S0126 and S0133 files before and T+A knows it, which suggests they are active online regarding the firmware update. ?

I also raise the concern about the warranty-void issue to them and hopefully, they will bring the proper solution eventually. 

So don't lose hope, at least I personally feel T+A is determined to solve this firmware problem this time.

S0126_DAC8DSD_FW_Update.pdf

S0133_Erasing_Amanero_Firmware_DAC8DSD.pdf

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

According to the MP8 manual, the MP8 - which can use it's internet connection for online firmware updates - can also update the DAC8 DSD firmware, when both devices are linked with the T+A system bus connection. But the DAC8 DSD must already have firmware 2.60 at least.

Page 58 of the manual:

"For updating the firmware of the MP 8 there is a convenient method which requires an existing Internet connection.

If you are operating the MP 8 in conjunction with a DAC 8 DSD, the machine [= the DAC] can also be updated via the SYS connection.

The wiring diagram for the machines is shown in 'Appendix A'.

The following section describes the exact method of updating the firmware in detail. For a correct function together with the MP 8, the DAC 8 DSD must have at least software version V2.60 installed. If no software version is displayed in the update menu, an update should be carried out in any case."

Updating via the Internet:

(...)

"If the MP 8 is connected to a DAC 8 DSD via the SYS connection, the Select Device menu appears at this point. In this case select the device to be updated and confirm your choice  by pressing the OK button"

https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/UM_MP8_102_UK.pdf

The german text is actually clearer.

Claude

While me and my friends have been waiting patiently for 12+ months for DSD512 Linux support, the iFi Pro iDSD has (finally) popped up.

Like other iFi DAC's, DSD512 is supported on Linux.

Will be interesting if @Miska gets his hands on one for measurements and comparison with this DAC8 DSD.

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

But the Amanero firmware seems to be slowly getting there, so maybe at some point it would be possible to update it on DAC8 DSD (I didn't dare to try it yet, but I'm tempted).

Yep slowly moving forward is better than not moving at all.

As soon as you confirm it works with microRendu NAA with DSD512 , my order for the DAC8 DSD will be placed ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 9:29 AM, CatManDo said:

According to the MP8 manual, the MP8 - which can use it's internet connection for online firmware updates - can also update the DAC8 DSD firmware, when both devices are linked with the T+A system bus connection. But the DAC8 DSD must already have firmware 2.60 at least.

Page 58 of the manual:

"For updating the firmware of the MP 8 there is a convenient method which requires an existing Internet connection.

If you are operating the MP 8 in conjunction with a DAC 8 DSD, the machine [= the DAC] can also be updated via the SYS connection.

The wiring diagram for the machines is shown in 'Appendix A'.

The following section describes the exact method of updating the firmware in detail. For a correct function together with the MP 8, the DAC 8 DSD must have at least software version V2.60 installed. If no software version is displayed in the update menu, an update should be carried out in any case."

Updating via the Internet:

(...)

"If the MP 8 is connected to a DAC 8 DSD via the SYS connection, the Select Device menu appears at this point. In this case select the device to be updated and confirm your choice  by pressing the OK button"

https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/UM_MP8_102_UK.pdf

The german text is actually clearer.

If I read this right the only way to update this dac is to buy another T&A product the MP8 which is $3400 US. Brilliant.

The Truth Is Out There

It's not the only way. It's the most convenient way. There is also the RS232 connection method.

I think the MP8 is a very underwhelming product. It has the type of features of a $500 streamer (more "lifestyle"-centered than audiophile), and no DSD support so far. Like the AMP8, it's not in the same league as the DAC8 DSD, plus it's overpriced.

Claude