IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

Speaking of A Far Cry in Binaural DSD 128, Native DSD has extended their practice of giving you the lower DSD bit rates on a purchase to their Binaural DSD downloads.

So, if you bought A Far Cry in Binaural DSD 128, you can now download the Binaural DSD 64 version at no added cost.

I bought A Far Cry in "normal" stereo and agree it's terrific - exceptional playing and sound.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Miska, thanks for your input and I hope that you didn't mind my comment concerning Daphile, nor am I trying to lure people away from HQPlayer.

I completely understand what you are saying, but I was just under the impression that your filters are much more resource-hungry than Daphile's. Of course I wouldn't know for sure, because I am not an expert, just based my opinion on what I have been reading in these forums for the past few months.

Anyway, sorry to T+A for going off-topic and I am really looking forward to listening to the DAC8-HQP combo one day!!

Pay close attention to what Miska writes, and also try to test with your own system - it isn't difficult.

Just as Miska says, upsampling RedBook to DSD with HQP is not terribly difficult. In fact it uses substantially less CPU resources than Audirvana+ for RedBook (A+ uses pretty much the same modulators as Daphile, I believe, or at least very similar ones). As the file to be upsampled becomes higher resolution, HQP uses more CPU resources, being about equal to A+ when upsampling 88.2/96KHz, for example.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 4 weeks later...

In fact, since taps are a measure of how any times a filter acts on the signal, all else being equal the more taps the steeper the filter. Thus more taps can easily mean more ringing (distortion).

• 1 month later...
I have been lurking for years now, but after reading about this DAC, and finding this thread, I really just have to say there is nothing new or innovative about this design.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but, delay line with shift registers sent to weighted groups of switches is exactly what Burr Brown has been doing since the beginning with the DSD1700.

So, the so called future of DAC design is , well, the past of DSD DAC design.

It's the same thing Lamizator does, and is the same thing Miska does with his DAC design.

Regarding this simple design that has been around a long time, is there anything you think is inherently better sound-wise, or can this be as well implemented as any other design?

Yogi Berra..... here are some gems

I used #8 in my dad's eulogy - after starting out by thanking everyone for coming, I said, "As Yogi Berra said, 'Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.'"

• 2 months later...
I could have expressed it better myself.

Unfortunately Hifi/Audio Magazines aren't providing an information and support service to the readers nor acting as independent industry referees, though they may have been at one point.

Long ago (the mid 1970s), The Absolute Sound accepted no advertising and served the purpose you are talking about. But they were unable to keep going on that basis. The "information" was opinionated and non-technical and so may not always have been objective, but it was tremendously entertaining. That contrasts to the present day where I find reviews formulaic and boring for the most part.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using semiconductor approach based on opamp in my DAC designs, but depends on what one wants to use... :)

Two other possibilities: intact audio THAT Driver: Differential line driver / preamp

• 3 weeks later...
When will the new version of HQ Player be released ? I'm asking this because I don't want to buy the current one now and a couple of weeks later to have to buy the new one.. :)

Since I'm building my Music Server, please tell me if I should get an i7 6700 (not the 6700K, since my motherboard can't do OC) or will an i5 6600 be able to upsample PCM 96khz to DSD 512 with all those nice sounding filters ?

Doesn't matter when you buy since I don't know if Miska ever charges for upgrades, but he hasn't for as long as I can remember.

Not sure what the 6700K has to do with overclocking - best to get the most capable CPU you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile