IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

Hi, I’m late to the party and just trying to understand how the ongoing Linux/DSD256-512 issue affects my possible choice to buy a T+A DAC8 DSD DAC ...

I don’t want a PC/server in my listening room. Currently I have a dedicated i5 Win10 laptop upstairs running Roon Core (no upsampling or conversion), library is on Synology NAS . Downstairs in hifi system I have an Aries femto (with optical isolation and using trick power supplies etc) feeding USB via Intona USB isolator to a Yulong Sabre DA-8 DAC. 16/44 PCM is sent as 16/44 PCM, DSD256 is sent as DOP to the Yulong. The Aries endpoint and Yulong DAC are both limited to DSD256.

If I replace my Yulong DAC with T+A DAC8 DSD, does the Linux/DSD256-512 issue prevent me turning off DOP in Roon Core and passing native DSD256 through the Aries (Linux based) to the T+A?

I was hoping to do this until I can gather more funds for an i7 6700K PC to send my PCM and DSD128-256 files as native DSD512 to the T+A via an UltraRendu (linux based) or similar.

Do I understand correctly that (currently) any Linux based endpoints (eg. Aries, UltraRendu etc) are limited to sending native DSD64-128 to the T+A and native DSD256-512 is not possible (only via DOP)?

Thanks for your help guys.

Nobody? :(

I've been out of this OCD hobby for some time with young kids and am now looking to upgrade my front end as I believe it to be the "weakness" in my system. I'm interested in the T+A DAC8 DSD DAC but first want to be sure it is the right path for me.

Apparently the T+A is best when fed DSD512 files natively but I don't want to put a PC in my lounge room with the system. I therefore need an ethernet device (endpoint?) in the system capable of feeding DSD512 files (converted/upsampled by PC in another room) natively to the T+A. 

However, these devices all seem to be linux based (eg. the UltraRendu) so I presume that the T+A DAC's limitation of up to DSD128 files natively from linux based devices means I can't pass DSD256/DSD512 files natively to the T+A without putting the PC in the system and directly connecting to the T+A.

In short ... do I have this right, or have I misunderstood?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys/gals.

2 hours ago, bibo01 said:

You have it right. However. Amanero has just released final firmware 2003. It means that kernel on those Linux devices has to be updated to allow for it. At the same time, T&A will have to update its firmware on the DAC...

Many Thanks Bibo01, that sounds like a step in the right direction.

OK, so once the Amanero and T+A updates are available and installed, I wonder what the likelihood (and timeframe) will be that the likes of Auralic and Sonore etc will update their firmwares to enable their devices to send DSD256/DSD512 files natively to the T+A DAC?

Is it likely that they will care about making changes to accomodate one particular DAC?