IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

Hi Chris,

Here's a link to the ARDA AT1201 A/D converter data sheet, four of which are used in the Horus 8 channel input card:

http://www.profusionplc.com/images/data%20sheets/at1201-ds.pdf

Too bad the engineers at ARDA got swallowed into Google, never to be heard from again. They never really had a chance to finish their AT1401 24-bit/384KHz/125dB R2R DAC chip. I know the samples had some problems, but at least they tried.

Kind of surprised the AT1201 is even still available. I guess Profusion bought up all the stock from the foundry and Merging, Ayre, and others buy from them for their ADC units.

• 2 months later...
I would say NAA makes pretty tiny difference compared to the difference between the DACs... :)

But you certainly want to run Metrum with upsampling. Even just for jitter performance. Difference is in tens of dB's.

Hi Jussi:

How do you like the Musette musically? Been eying it for a while. Seems rather innovative for the price. Of course I would be using HQP SRC straight to 384 for it. I'm looking for an an affordable interim DAC that's transparent.

• 3 weeks later...
CJF, you may well be quite ignorant of what you speak (we can educate you if you care, otherwise please stop wasting your and our time), but do you have to do it with such rudeness to others? And why put down your own DAC, etc? What exactly is your point, other than being bored and deciding to troll about?

Ted, I just think his recent visits and posts at that nasty Audio "Science" Review forum (with just 175 inbred members) have rubbed off on cjf. He has forgotten that this is a much more civil place for discourse. ;)

[sorry for this off topic, but having seen the truly vile harassments coming from the two "moderators" over there in the last couple of days, I'm more thankful than ever for CA. Even members here who might seem obnoxious at time are tame in comparison.]

• 1 month later...
OK, so it is best to be always fed at that 384k then... :)

I guess Phasure NOS1a is the only one that can take in higher than 384k? (Metrum also tops out at 384k)

Of all people Jussi, I am surprised that you forget the iFi micro iDSD accepts 768K. :)

I got one of those on sale (it's pretty good) and I was using HQP last week to compare DSD256 (from my Mac via DoP) to PCM768. Was surprisingly close, though some of that may have been because DSD256DoP with your better modulators is pretty taxing to my quad-core i7 Mac mini (still running older HQP version pre-pipeline option).

PCM768 with Poly-sinc-short sounded extraordinary.

--Alex C.

• 7 months later...
Just now, granosalis said:

What I don't undestard is why company like T+A are not using I2s digital input. In this way I can easily bypass internal USB drivers limitations and use, for instance, the Singxer SU1.

Well doing so then makes the external converter's clocks the master clocks--sent over the HDMI cable in LVDS form.  Aside from not being ideal (best to use ultra-low-phase-noise clocks very a couple of centimeters from the DAC chips), a DAC manufacturer may not want to relinquish control and rely on the performance of the external box.

Besides, the external USB converter still has its own issues and limitations with drivers, etc.

[Full disclosure:  I do own and use a Singxer SU-1 for I2S into a Holo Spring Level 3.  And I think the only reason it is a bit better that way is that the Crystek CCHD-575 clocks in the SU-1 are far better than what is in the Spring.  (waiting for @scan80269 to have success with his Spring clock transplant operation.)]

9_9

41 minutes ago, Miska said:

Only sensible way to do it is to have clocks in the DAC sent upstream to the interface box and data coming back. This is the same for any interface. Never send clocks and data the same direction.

Of course...  Sadly, master clock output for I2S connection is rarely seen in DACs.

Time for a better interface anyway...9_9