IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

To upsample to DSD512 with the T+A DAC 8 DSD, you must use Windows. In option 1, the ifiUSB3.0 is not a requirement. You can do: Music in NAS > i7 PC in fanless case (Windows 10 Pro, 64bit) upsampling to DSD512 > DAC. With HQ Player installed on the PC - probably at least an intel 7700 - you can upsample all files to DSD512 as long as you don't use the most demanding filters. While I only have experience with Roon, Jussi of Signalyst (author of HQ Player) lists three other remote control applications on his website: Signalyst

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, pvanosta said:

I have a question related to the recent thread activity around DSD512 and USB.

I have an Auralic Altair, which will output 32-384 PCM as well as DSD 512 via the USB port. I am potentially looking at the T+A DAC8 DSD as an upgrade to the onboard dac of the Altair, but I would only consider it if I can use the full capabilities of the T+A with this approach.

Does anyone have any info on whether this might work?

Thanks for your feedback etc.

At present the T+A DAC 8 DSD will only do DSD512 with Windows, as it needs the ASIO driver currently available only for Windows.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 2/10/2018 at 12:16 AM, pvanosta said:

Thanks Allan F,

Will I still be able to feed (and reproduce natively) DSD256 and 32-384PCM in this way though (USB out from Altair to T+A USB in)?

I am not familiar with the Auralic Altair and have no knowledge of how it outputs DSD. I only know the capabilities of the T+A DAC 8 DSD, so I would defer to guiltyboxswapper, who apparently is familiar with the Altair.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 8:09 AM, sbenyo said:

PCM vs DSD is different as I thing. They have different characteristics and it's hard to define which is better. It may be that DSD is technically better but I am no expert on it. For me PCM sounds more like SS and DSD is more tube. This is a matter of taste.

Many describe upsampling to DSD with the T+A as sounding more like vinyl.

11 minutes ago, musicbuff said:

Both the ISO REGEN and Intona require 2 USB cables, correct? One from computer "to" the device and another "from" the device to the DAC. I have a WyWires Platinum USB cable. To utilize either of these devices with 2 WyWires USB cables would not be cheap, OR are you saying that 2 inexpensive USB cables can be used with either of these devices and will render all the stated improved sonic qualities?

The ISO Regen comes with a USPCB A>B adapter to use in place of a second USB cable, most commonly placed between the ISO Regen and the DAC. It is a solid adapter reputed to be superior to any USB cable.

• 3 months later...
On 6/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, emcdade said:

Also of note, I tried a pair of neutrik XLR to RCA ADAPTERS on the DAC since my integrated only has unbalanced inputs.  I immediately heard clipping distortion when I tried this and yanked them.

Do you think the balanced outs were trying to send 4.5 volts out instead of 2 volts?

Has anyone found a way to go XLR to RCA on this DAC?  From reading I hear the XLR output is cleaner and worthwhile to pursue.

The specs for the analog outputs of the DAC8 DSD are 5.0V for XLR and 2.5V for RCA. I don't know if this forum discussion may be of assistance. Is it safe to convert XLR to RCA

• 8 months later...
On 9/24/2017 at 3:09 AM, sbenyo said:

If I understand correctly, the T+A DAC8 DSD does not any external power for USB.

The DAC works fine with just a simple cable between the DAC USB input and the computer USB so nothing else is needed.

While the T+A DAC 8 DSD does not require the 5v as an operating voltage supply, it does require the 5v for identification. That information comes directly from T+A in Germany in response to my query. I believe that this is commonly referred to as "handshaking".

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, craighartley said:

As I understand it you can only get DSD512 with the T&A if you use a Windows PC with the T&A ASIO driver.

Your understanding is correct.

9 hours ago, Ben-M said:

Not exactly. There is also a beta firmware for the Amanero/DAC 8 DSD that supports DSD512 on Linux only. However, there are some issues with pops/cracks and dropouts. Some owners said it's infrequent enough that it's well worth it to enable Linux @DSD512 support. Whereas owners like myself don't want to go that route, yet. 

But like Craig already detailed, there are certain limits for these choices and you need to decide which one suits you.

Or you need to wait until Dom/Amanero releases the unified and fully compatible firmware and then you can upgrade yourself via the recently mentioned method, or you can wait further for T+A to approve and release the firmware upgrade by whichever means they develop to do so. 

If it doesn't work without "some issues with pops/cracks and dropouts' with DSD512 on Linux, that means it currently only works properly with DSD256. :) There are no such "issues" with Windows and DSD512.

2 hours ago, Ben-M said:

The words effective and efficient similarly exist because the first one means "achieved as required" and the second means "achieved to some degree, while consuming fewer resources". If you choose to check, you'll find that "possible" doesn't mean 100% functional or stable, like effective does. It is more aligned with efficient. That's not "manufacturer talk", that's English. 

Your own personal use of "possible" is your choice, so I won't debate what you've now clarified was your actual meaning...

For someone who doesn't want to split hairs, you sure like to split hairs.  The simple fact is that DSD512 is not reliably achievable with Linux at this time, i.e. it is not the highest possible DSD rate that will, not may, work as intended by T+A. The English language is not limited to your preferred usage. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/22/2020 at 11:09 PM, juanitox said:

the middle age crisis certainly here , i wonder what dac to try after the T+A  , not that i taught that it doesn't sound marvellous in DSD512 with HQP but sometimes i remember old machine like some Theta , Wadia 2000,  Cello reference dac , EAD DSP9000 etc.. and if they were surely more technically limiited  ( 16/18 bits at 44/48K for the most)   i liked the sound of them , you can say more meet on the bones type or it was just good sounding distorsions i don't know...

so i wonder what kind of dac could fit in this categorie  nowadays ?

Those older DACs offered less resolution and some tended to favour, to at least some extent, warmth over accuracy. But, they were "musical". I don't know if you would still prefer the sound of those DACs today if you could hear and compare it to the sound of music produced by the T+A DAC 8 DSD and HQP at DSD512. I don't believe that audio memory is retained over lengthy periods of time.