IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

I find it very surprising that people here do not care for the options and configurability that Lampizator offers. I've found that people here tend to jump at every tweak under the sun: OS optimization, SATA cables, linear power supplies, USB enhancement devices, NAA, every different software upsampling, USB & Ethernet cables etc. Compared to what's discussed on this forum daily, Lampizator's options are very few and very straightforward and allow you to pay for only what matters to you. Plus the ability to upgrade functionality in the DAC is certainly a plus in my eyes, though you're never forced to. Nor are you forced to roll tubes, etc.

I've got a Lampizator L4 DSD 256-Only DAC that I ordered balanced, with Duelund caps and remote/premium analog volume control. I use Roon & HQP upsampling, HQP NAA, running direct from the DAC into NCore 400 monoblocks and Mangepan 3.7i's. I've applied a lot of the tweaks I mentioned above to my system and it sounds so incredibly good now that I struggle to comprehend how something, anything, could be "streets and miles" better. But I've never heard a Lampi Big 7 nor the T+A DAC.

I was going to upgrade my Lampi from DSD256 to DSD512 (and I still might), but what I've read here has convinced me that I must hear that T+A in my home. There have been other products that many people went crazy for (the Auralic Vega and the microRendu in particular) that I didn't care for at all. As was the case with those products, I won't know how the T+A compares to what I know until I hear it in my system.

I wish there was a way for me to audition a T+A "demo" model at home, but I realize that the demand for the product is high and there aren't likely any units that are available for such a purpose. Does anyone have any updates on the availability of the DAC and a link to a dealer network?

Thanks,

Keith

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I think I might have the same processor laying around and could put it to good use but the consensus here has been that you at least need i7 6700K to do DSD512. Could you list what kind of power supply and case are you using i7-4770T ?

My server has a i7 6700 (no "K"). It upsamples anything to DSD256 easily, especially after the filters and algorithms have been loaded. I'm hoping it can similarly handle DSD512, because my motherboard can't accommodate the i7 6700K.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

To everyone who wishes they could use the microRendu at > DSD128 with their T+A (or other DAC with a Windows-based USB interface), I strongly recommend that you at least try using the free HQP NAA Daemon application running on Windows.

I understand the principle that the NAA should be as low level as possible and that running an NAA on a Windows OS would seem to defeat its purpose, but I propose that the benefit of isolating the DAC from the server that's busy with heavy DSP/Upsampling by any means outweighs these concerns. Best of all, it's both free and easy to try out on a preliminary basis.

All I did was connect my general purpose laptop (running the HQP NAA Daemon app) to my Lampizator/Amanero DAC. I wasn't initially looking for the best sound quality. I just wanted to see if/how it worked. But even that yielded an immediate improvement sonic improvement. After that, I experimented some more and landed on a much more permanent and "audiophile" arrangement (with a dedicated, optimized Windows PC as my NAA).

I consider an NAA to be essential. I would definitely not let the Windows/Linux issue prevent me from having one. To everyone raving about how good the T+A sounds when connected directly to the upsampling server, I'd bet that it can sound even better still.

The Non-K is working fine for me.

Uptone JS-2 -> Streacom FC-9 i7-6700

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28690[/ATTACH]

That's great to know! Thanks for your reply.

Its the tubes Keith.

The DHT tubes in the L7/GG and the DHPs in the Atlantic are better performing than the small signal tubes in the L4. Also, as I mentioned before, but it seems people dont yet get it, i know that Lukasz has DSD256 and 512 working with his Dacs...

It wont handle ROON and HQP at 512, but will at 256. For 512 one would have to use only HQP...or need a 2nd PC.

The T+A is excellent at DSD512, but not particularly outstanding at native rate playback... that is the feedback I got from trusted pals. So, yes, you should check it out for 512.

I have still to hear the Atlantic, but based on feedback, it has low noise floor and extended highs relative to DHTs. Its also possible to get TWO DSD engines in it, R2R and chipless. That makes it very exciting, as I dont only want to upsample and the latest R2R PCM is special!

Thanks for your informative reply Wisnon. It appears that I'm likely due for another one of those moments where I didn't know what I was missing until I heard (even) better equipment.

My needs are very specific. I have no interest in playing PCM directly (I only want chipless DSD), no interest in native rate playback (of any of my files), no single ended inputs on my NCore 400 amps, and no desire for a preamp. So any DAC I consider has to tick quite a few boxes. The Lampizator L4 (as I ordered it) fits the bill perfectly, but for me to step up to a higher end Lampizator with everything I want would cost more coin than I'm willing to part with.

Fortunately, the T+A also does everything I need a DAC to do and it apparently does it extremely well, so it'll be the next thing I try. I can't wait to hear for myself what others are describing about its performance with DSD512.

The Atlantic comes in Balanaced DSD only as well. I am not sure of the price though, perhaps $6K. It can also be tube rectified as well.

As I said, go ahead and try the Dac8...you may very well like it for DSD512.

I'd be more interested in the Atlantic, but I'd need it both balanced and with volume control. It's my understanding that that's not currently offered. But I'll be interested to read more about the Atlantic, and anything else they do.

I love my Lampi L4. I don't know how much it being DSD Only, balanced and having Duelund caps, chipless DSD256 and analog volume control elevates its sound above a typical L4, but I'm certainly intrigued by the consensus that newer DACs in the price range definitely sound better.

• 4 months later...
I was somewhat surprised to see Michael describe DSD512 in the very first paragraph of his review as "512 times the CD rate." Doesn't he understand the difference between PCM and DSD? An SACD is DSD64, so DSD 512 is 8 times the SACD rate, but an SACD isn't 64 times the CD rate, it's a different form of coding.

Maybe you don't need to understand it to appreciate the difference. :)

I don't see anything wrong with what Michael wrote. PCM and DSD are different forms of coding but:

• 44.1 kHz (Redbook PCM) * 64 = 2,822.4 kHz (SACD Rate)
  • 44.1 kHz (Redbook PCM) * 512 = 22,579.2 kHz (DSD512 Rate)

SACD's data rate actually is 64 times the CD rate.

• 1 year later...

I just took my brand new T+A DAC 8 DSD out of the box. I can't get the driver to install on my Windows Server 2012 R2 machine.

I tried temporarily removing Audiophile Optimizer, restoring the full GUI and installing the driver using all of the available compatibility modes (with consumer versions of Windows) with no luck. 

All it says is "Install Failed". 

I know some people here have said that they're using this DAC with Windows Server 2012. Does anyone have any suggestions, or maybe an older version of the driver that might work for me?

Thanks,

Keith

I figured it out. I needed to configure Windows Server 2012 to allow installation of unsigned drivers. It was easy once I found what I was looking for.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/emberger/2014/04/21/windows-server-2012-r2-install-unsigned-drivers/

First impressions of the DAC are very, very favorable, but I've made a lot of changes and I'm letting things settle in further before I say more.