IGNORED

Preamp recommendation

Edwardo,

You won't get a good phono pre section in a pre amp under $2k. TAS recommends the NuForce MCP-18 at that price point. Parasound P5 may also be worth taking a look at. Do plan on spending between $400~$700 for a separate phono preamp if you have an LP collection and spend more than $1K on a turntable.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The digital world also offers a better and cheaper RIIA.

You will still need that appropriate step-up transformer or phono pre, but your ADDA and computer will do the rest.

You know vinyl wears at astronomical speed, so save your vinyl by digitizing the signal before it's even more compromised.

Save that virgin vinyl sound while you can (in 24/96).

Software packages:

Channel D PureVinyl @ USD 299,-

Amarra Vinyl (Sonic Studio Audio Repair Tool) @ USD 595

Both conveniently splits tracks, de-clicks and all the other nice little digitizing tricks.

Both also includes memory buffered digital players full of other digital tricks.

I have a preference for Channel D products despite their terrible looks :-)

Just like CD's - vinyl should only be played once !!!

I.e. when they are ripped.

Digipete, I suspect you and I are worlds apart in our system investment and capabilities for vinyl playback.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I have a couple very capable tube phono's and a couple Pass solid state phono stages. I use a TC Impact Twin with Pure Vinyl to play and record lp's.

I think an Xono and Audible Illusions are in your price range.

The mic preamps in the Impact Twin are very clean. Using digital eq makes it easier to get good results.

Nice gear but not the critical area for vinyl performance.. remember that the signal is a physical recording. Vinyl playback quality is determined by the quality of turntable used because reading music vibration scribed on LP groove resting on a a platter surface that's passing vibration from motor and TT environment hugely degrades dynamic contrast, low bass, and imaging detail. A well designed TT acts as an infinite sink for vibrations allowing the stylus to trace groove signal without any other vibratory interference superimposed. The best turntables allow breathtaking resolution and imaging, even with modest electronics. It is a tough sell however for those new to vinyl where the minimum entry point for a turntable done right seems to be $2K without even adding cartridge or tonearm to the discussion.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system