IGNORED

Preamp recommendation

Hello all, I just joined recently and looking for some advice on my setup.

I have a Sony HAP-Z1ES which I'm running into some Event Opal speakers I've also got 2 Genelec 8040as which I can use if I want to.

There's no volume control on the Sony and very little volume adjustment can be done on the Opals. So what I'm looking for is something with volume control that can take the input from the Sony, a turntable that I'll be buying soon, a CD player, a reel-to-reel and has a headphone output.

I have no idea what I need to get to do this and any/all suggestions welcome. Most likely it will be a stereo setup with the Opals but I can add the Genelecs as I'd really like surround sound options if possible (can buy sub and centre speaker) but realise this might not be doable.

Budget is pretty flexible depending on what is achievable but probably wouldn't want to spend more than £1k.

So.... Is there a way to do what I want? And if so

What is it?

Cheers,

Ed

A Pre Pro from Integra, Yamaha, or Marantz should enable you to do all that. It may even have XLR outs to feed your Opals and Genelecs.

Welcome to CA, Edwardo

Serge_S is stuck in ancient technology, I'll jump 30 years ahead and talk about today's digital solutions.

Get a professional multichannel ADDA sound card and skip or sell all the analogue equipment.

The CD player is also utterly redundant and the TT makes no sense unless you have rare records that needs digitizing.

M/C sound cards to consider:

Lynx Aurora 8

Metric Halo LIO-8

Mytek 8X192 ADDA

The latter if you are of the DSD persuasion (128x)

Fully Digital

If that is not digital enough for you, go to fully active, digital input monitors with DSP room correction.

My favorites are the Genelec SAM series:

Genelec Smart Active Monitors (SAM) , specifically the:

SAM™ Coaxial Studio Monitors

I think this is the best high-end sound for money available out there.

Professional equipment vendors

Thomann in Europe

Vintage King in US

Good luck and please feel free to ask more specific questions.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Thank you both for your replies and warm welcome to CA! It seems like a great resource and I've been lurking for a while before joining up.

In terms of the CD player, I can probably do without that though would need to digitise my CD collection but that's no big deal.

I've been collecting vinyl for about 20 years and have far too many to digitise and also just love vinyl so the TT is a must really.

Speaker wise the Opals and Genelecs I have are it for now. I can stretch to a centre speaker and sub if I find a good surround sound solution though.

I bought the Sony in an attempt to get away from having to use the computer for anything other than downloading/transferring files to be honest as I spend all day staring at Excel/PowerPoint and so just can't enjoy music as much if I have to factor my computer into the equation.

I'm definitely of the DSD persuasion since getting the Sony and think they sound fantastic but want to integrate that with my vinyl collection and ideally as part of surround sound system if possible (though my priority is for sound quality so would sacrifice surround if needed).

Cheers,

Ed

Hi Pooger, good question! I don't have one at the moment no so ideally anything that I bought would include RIAA stage but maybe I am asking too much!

Alternatively I can of course buy a phono pre seperately but would like to minimise the number of components if possible.

Thanks for your input

Edwardo,

You won't get a good phono pre section in a pre amp under $2k. TAS recommends the NuForce MCP-18 at that price point. Parasound P5 may also be worth taking a look at. Do plan on spending between $400~$700 for a separate phono preamp if you have an LP collection and spend more than $1K on a turntable.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Edwardo,

You won't get a good phono pre section in a pre amp under $2k. TAS recommends the NuForce MCP-18 at that price point. Parasound P5 may also be worth taking a look at. Do plan on spending between $400~$700 for a separate phono preamp if you have an LP collection and spend more than $1K on a turntable.

The digital world also offers a better and cheaper RIIA.

You will still need that appropriate step-up transformer or phono pre, but your ADDA and computer will do the rest.

You know vinyl wears at astronomical speed, so save your vinyl by digitizing the signal before it's even more compromised.

Save that virgin vinyl sound while you can (in 24/96).

Software packages:

Channel D PureVinyl @ USD 299,-

Amarra Vinyl (Sonic Studio Audio Repair Tool) @ USD 595

Both conveniently splits tracks, de-clicks and all the other nice little digitizing tricks.

Both also includes memory buffered digital players full of other digital tricks.

I have a preference for Channel D products despite their terrible looks :-)

Just like CD's - vinyl should only be played once !!!

I.e. when they are ripped.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Thanks all for your input, lots of research for me to do by the looks of things!

I think the NuForce MCP-18 may be the best bet for me, if I can find one.

So I would run Sony HAP-Z1ES to the NuForce for all stereo duties and would then have an Oppo BDP 105 running into the NuForce for surround sound duties. Then the NuForce would be feeding my Event Opals, Genelecs and yet to be bought sub and centre speaker.

I think that would work?? But any alternative suggestions welcome.

Looks like I'll have to wait a while to add a phono pre to the mix and that lot will max me out.

Digipete - thanks for the recommendations. However part of the joy of vinyl for me is the record itself so I wouldn't be digitising my vinyl collection, beyond a few favourites that I'd want easy access to.

The digital world also offers a better and cheaper RIIA.

You will still need that appropriate step-up transformer or phono pre, but your ADDA and computer will do the rest.

You know vinyl wears at astronomical speed, so save your vinyl by digitizing the signal before it's even more compromised.

Save that virgin vinyl sound while you can (in 24/96).

Software packages:

Channel D PureVinyl @ USD 299,-

Amarra Vinyl (Sonic Studio Audio Repair Tool) @ USD 595

Both conveniently splits tracks, de-clicks and all the other nice little digitizing tricks.

Both also includes memory buffered digital players full of other digital tricks.

I have a preference for Channel D products despite their terrible looks :-)

Just like CD's - vinyl should only be played once !!!

I.e. when they are ripped.

Digipete, I suspect you and I are worlds apart in our system investment and capabilities for vinyl playback.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

So does it sound like this setup would work:

Stereo setup - Sony HAP-Z1ES -> NuForce MCP18 -> Event Opals

Surround setup - Oppo BDP 105 -> NuForce MCP 18 -> Event Opals, Genelec 8040As, Sub, Centre speaker?

I'll get a seperate phono pre (any recommendations would be good) to go with my TT and implement that at a later date.

And then I need to think about upgrading all my cables....

Thanks for all the help and information everyone.

Ed

Digipete, I suspect you and I are worlds apart in our system investment and capabilities for vinyl playback.

I have a couple very capable tube phono's and a couple Pass solid state phono stages. I use a TC Impact Twin with Pure Vinyl to play and record lp's.

I think an Xono and Audible Illusions are in your price range.

The mic preamps in the Impact Twin are very clean. Using digital eq makes it easier to get good results.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I have a couple very capable tube phono's and a couple Pass solid state phono stages. I use a TC Impact Twin with Pure Vinyl to play and record lp's.

I think an Xono and Audible Illusions are in your price range.

The mic preamps in the Impact Twin are very clean. Using digital eq makes it easier to get good results.

Nice gear but not the critical area for vinyl performance.. remember that the signal is a physical recording. Vinyl playback quality is determined by the quality of turntable used because reading music vibration scribed on LP groove resting on a a platter surface that's passing vibration from motor and TT environment hugely degrades dynamic contrast, low bass, and imaging detail. A well designed TT acts as an infinite sink for vibrations allowing the stylus to trace groove signal without any other vibratory interference superimposed. The best turntables allow breathtaking resolution and imaging, even with modest electronics. It is a tough sell however for those new to vinyl where the minimum entry point for a turntable done right seems to be $2K without even adding cartridge or tonearm to the discussion.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system