IGNORED

Article: Streaming Around The Globe Or Around The Home With JRiver Media Center

First of all, great article and it inspired me to try this setup in my kitchen.

Not sure if it's the complexity of my setup of the flakiness of BubbleUPNP, but I'm having mixed results. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be eternally grateful.

I've never been much of a Mac person, but we got one in the kitchen as it looks nice. Perhaps the first error...

Anyway, the Mac is running JRMC 21 (and 20, both with the same issues) and Bubble upnp server. The library for the Mac is on my HTPC running Win 10 and connected on the same network, wirelessly (library is shared using a share, not DLNA). The problem is that the Chromecast appears in JRMC intermittantly, not consistently. When it works it's great, but then it stops randomly. To get it back involves a sequence of restarts and reboots on the mac and chromecast, seemingly without order.

Casting to the chromecast audio from TuneIn on my iPhone works without issue, so I'm leaning towards it being something in the (over complicated?) setup.

Sorry if this is far too technical and in the wrong place, but it has been driving me slowly crazy!

Too many hoops to jump through.

Seeing the endpoint is CCA (it's all wireless) you can install MinimServer on the HTPC running Windows 10. Being wireless there will be no SQ degradation. You could install MinimServer on the Mac too... but not needed and its one more additional hoop. I've MinimServer installed on a NAS and can send the audio to any room that has an endpoint or NAA - pretty much anything like CCA, Raspberry Pi, AVR with WiFi, etc.

Give this a try first.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

• 2 months later...

Stupid question: if I am driving cross country with my iPhone and my JRiver setup correctly, I assume ATT LTE is doing the coverage....is there any idea of the amount of data usage this is? Is it usery/ridiculous to assume I can listen to my library on a 1000 mile drive; will it cost me my whole family's data plan for one month?

• 1 month later...
Stupid question: if I am driving cross country with my iPhone and my JRiver setup correctly, I assume ATT LTE is doing the coverage....is there any idea of the amount of data usage this is? Is it usery/ridiculous to assume I can listen to my library on a 1000 mile drive; will it cost me my whole family's data plan for one month?

I stream from my home, just as you mentioned with Jriver/Iphone/ATT while I walk or rollerblade. I spend about 1-2 hours 4-5 days a week doing this. Total is around 20-30 hours a month. I never seen my bill exceed over 4GB of usage. I have a 10GB plan but never come close. I do this at work also but I have wifi there, so I don't use any data. At work I stream another 2-5 hours a day. I hope someday to be able to steam Roon/Tidal while out and about. I only use JRiver for streaming away from my home.

I don't have any files converted to mp3 with jremote, it all stays as an original CD flac file. Only 24bit files that I have are converted down. I would convert the files, if I was using up all my data.

Now, streaming video will increase that number drastically, in my experience. If you have kids streaming, then all bets are off.

I like using Jriver for streaming because I've spent so much time curating and creating playlists that both Roon/Tidal can't achieve yet.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

• 4 months later...

Found this very useful for unlocking my digital music collection that I so painstakingly ripped a few years ago and I'm loving getting to enjoy it all through the house. I have Tidal, but there is something very nice about how curated the cd and hires collection is, in which everything, at some point, was desirable enough to pay for. I'm going from a mac mini to chromecasts attached to various systems around my house using J/River 22 and BubbleUPNP. One question I have for those who are J River pros: I can only get all zones to work if the selected format in the J River DNLA settings is high quality MP3. Seems less than ideal, but when I test the bitrate playing from my iphone as "this device" through JRemote (say, connected to my macbook through a dac) it is showing up as 96k on certain files. My preference, of course, would be for bitperfect playback. Is this already happening? What audio settings do you all use in J River (in the DNLA settings) to ensure the files are playing on the Chromecast at original quality without sacrificing functionality? Thanks for any help. I know this is an old thread.

Found this very useful for unlocking my digital music collection that I so painstakingly ripped a few years ago and I'm loving getting to enjoy it all through the house. I have Tidal, but there is something very nice about how curated the cd and hires collection is, in which everything, at some point, was desirable enough to pay for. I'm going from a mac mini to chromecasts attached to various systems around my house using J/River 22 and BubbleUPNP. One question I have for those who are J River pros: I can only get all zones to work if the selected format in the J River DNLA settings is high quality MP3. Seems less than ideal, but when I test the bitrate playing from my iphone as "this device" through JRemote (say, connected to my macbook through a dac) it is showing up as 96k on certain files. My preference, of course, would be for bitperfect playback. Is this already happening? What audio settings do you all use in J River (in the DNLA settings) to ensure the files are playing on the Chromecast at original quality without sacrificing functionality? Thanks for any help. I know this is an old thread.

Hi Ulises - What do you mean that you "can only get all zones to work if the selected format in the J River DNLA settings is high quality MP3?" I'm very familiar with the settings, but not sure what you mean when you say - get all zones to work. If you can elaborate a little, I'm sure we'll find a solution for you.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks for your help! So when I tried The "original" setting and set bitrate for 24 or 16 bit in J River, it destabilized play on individual zones and I could no longer play my 4-zone whole House chromecast group. Also, until I reset everything Tidal no longer worked either. I reinstalled BubbleUPNP and set dnla endpoints up on J remote. This time I left the settings at default (high quality MP3) and the system (as well as Tidal) works flawlessly. Not the end of the world, but would love to know if I'm getting the best quality the Chomecast can get.

Thanks for your help! So when I tried The "original" setting and set bitrate for 24 or 16 bit in J River, it destabilized play on individual zones and I could no longer play my 4-zone whole House chromecast group. Also, until I reset everything Tidal no longer worked either. I reinstalled BubbleUPNP and set dnla endpoints up on J remote. This time I left the settings at default (high quality MP3) and the system (as well as Tidal) works flawlessly. Not the end of the world, but would love to know if I'm getting the best quality the Chomecast can get.

Seems like network instability or a less than capable network for streaming four zones at a time. Did you try the original setting and a single Chromecast?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 6 months later...
On 12/03/2016 at 9:02 AM, EuroChamp said:

But I am still looking for a good Qobuz integration. Is there a solution?

Maybe you have discovered the solution since that time

- BubleUpnp server (create an open home renderer)

- Kazoo app (Linn). I stream both jRiver and Qobuz with the same app

Works like a charm (both apps are free)

• 1 month later...

Sorry a bit slow for this thread, this scenario sets up all sorts of connection possibilities.

Following Chris' instructions, and reading through many lines...... connecting Jriver Library at home with JRiver on a laptop and its working.

Listening now to a new download of Lizz Wright's Grace  96-24  1GB to the main Library at home, which would have killed the accomodation's puny download allowance, and listening to Jriver on laptop, in 16 bit PCM 2500km away.

One sticky point has always been how to listen to the Library in the car or on the phone, those TB's of data being synchronised and updated, and what to play it on, FLAC, DSD hires, impossible! It's not audiophile standard, but I can now play any music from the Library, via the phone to the car stereo through Bluetooth, finally enough mobile phone bandwidth is available, well in most cities and rural areas. Sync problem solved and instant choice, whatever the mood strikes.

Another boon for remote connections are the TP-LINK smart switches (or similar I guess) and KASA app on the phone. Mostly I leave the Library computer, a HP-Z800, 300W power consumption powered off when not in use, but switch it on remotely and it powers up ready for logon. The audio system is also usually powered off, is also on TP-Link smart switch, by the time I leave work and arrive at home, the amps are nicely warmed up. 

To remotely control the HP-Z800 computer, RealVNC connects to home computers based on a user account (free) and on the 'server's (the home computer's) IP and credentials, connection through the router is seamless and super simple to setup, cause there's no router involvement. No port forwarding, nothing! Mac or Windows, either works, setup is a wizard system. I do suggest to reboot the computer once RealVNC is installed.

RealVNC for free will allow you to connect and operate up to three home computers as if you were in front of them from a phone or remote computer. If you want to file transfer from a remote to home computer, the pro version is required and $.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...