IGNORED

Article: Streaming Around The Globe Or Around The Home With JRiver Media Center

Hi Chris. Fun idea. Not working for me. Here's my issue:

I use an Asus RT-AC87U router. Within the port forwarding area, I have Service Name (JRiver Remote), Port Range (52199), Local IP (192.168.X.XXX), Local Port (52199) and Protocol (TCP). There is no choice for "all IP addresses."

When I add a new library at my office downtown to JRiver 21, and I put in the Access Key from the home computer running JRiver as my server for this purpose, I get an "Error Loading Library" message, where it shows "Attempting Connection to: 10.XX.X.XXX" and then a second "Attempting Connection to: 207.XXX.XXX.XXX". Then, it asks me to retry after several auto attempts.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks. JCR

I was using JRiver until I went headless with my Mac Mini.

It fails to "wake up" my USB connection so in order to start a listening session I have to remotely connect to the computer and revive it manually.

On the JRiver forum, users have said it's a bug in the Mac; no one from JRiver has replied.

But Roon and other apps work no problem - to me that's a bug in JRiver

Has anyone had similar problems and worked out a fix?

Thanks

Scott

It is not a bug in the Mac, but do check that you have the "Wake for Network Access" button clicked in the Energy saver. I am fairly sure you do if Roon works, but what can I say?

Actually, I just don't put the Mac Mini server to sleep anymore, I just spin down the disks when they are not being used. Not the best solution in the world, I know, but I believe in picking my fights. :)

Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 2.53.47 PM.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for the very interesting article. I have two questions. One is concerning the other Chromecast (i.e. not the audio version). Do you know whether one can use the HDMI out of the chromecast for bit perfect streaming of audio rather than using the (probably) horrible DAC of the Chromecast. How in general is audio handled by the Chromecast?

Chromecast Audio's DAC is far from bad... See measurements on my blog recently. Very reasonable IMO. Good DAC functionality doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg these days.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I have been using Gizmo for a couple of years and Jremote recently. I cannot stream to my phone at anything higher than 320. I have a Tidal subscription and use that to stream lossless. Is there anything I am doing wrong in JRiver, or is it limited to only 320 and nothing higher yet?

I have been using Gizmo for a couple of years and Jremote recently. I cannot stream to my phone at anything higher than 320. I have a Tidal subscription and use that to stream lossless. Is there anything I am doing wrong in JRiver, or is it limited to only 320 and nothing higher yet?

You can get full bit perfect lossless to JRemote.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

You can get full bit perfect lossless to JRemote.

Sorry for the obvious, have you checked JRemote settings to make sure the box for mp3 quality is unchecked? If it's checked it tells JRiver to convert to mp3 before streaming to JRemote.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I can't get it to work. My AirPort Extreme is linked to my comcast-approved modem and when I change the settings of the extreme it fails to see the Internet connection. I am using the extreme in bridge only mode.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

In the Settings section I checked "Use native audio format" I take it this is what I should have done to stream lossless in the first place?

In the JRemote setting, pretty much all you need to do is uncheck the transcoding option.

image.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Now if Plex would finally fix the last little iOS gapless playback issue, it would be even a better solution than J River as it supports offline sync to device as well with it's $8 app and free server or included syncing with lifetime subscription fee.

Please. Plex isn't even in the same world as jriver.

Hello. great article!

Is there anyone who can help with setup my Jriver/JRemote for using it with music on Synology. I'd like to use JRemote for streaming but currently it only works when JRiver is running on my Windows PC. thanks

As far as i know (it's a dream machine in my dreams also), you'll need a NAS (synology or qnap) that supports virtualisation. For virtualisation for the home user, qnap has some pricy models (look for the TS and better the TVS models). And then you can run windows or linux that can run JRiver. Or if you want to keep your NAS which doesn't support virtualisation, you can buy or build something like ESXi sphere box (i can't remember the exact name, something like that from VMware) which can run virtualised OSes.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Chris,

This is an utterly intriguing article. However, I have one question that is somewhat beyond my network technician pay-grade.

I work some 200 miles away from home, so make the round trip at the beginning and end of the week. In order to have streamed music at both locations my current set-up is to have my Zoneripper and Naim streamer at my "home" and a basic NAS and Naim setup at my "other home". This causes minor hassles with synchronizing libraries, reduced storage capacity of the NAS etc.

If I am able to stream the library to my small Lenovo netbook (emails, web browsing etc), as per your laptop scenario, would it then be possible to forward it to the Naim to render, or am I restricted to direct attaching a DAC to the netbook?

Waiting with baited breath!

Cheers, Rob

Chris,

This is an utterly intriguing article. However, I have one question that is somewhat beyond my network technician pay-grade.

I work some 200 miles away from home, so make the round trip at the beginning and end of the week. In order to have streamed music at both locations my current set-up is to have my Zoneripper and Naim streamer at my "home" and a basic NAS and Naim setup at my "other home". This causes minor hassles with synchronizing libraries, reduced storage capacity of the NAS etc.

If I am able to stream the library to my small Lenovo netbook (emails, web browsing etc), as per your laptop scenario, would it then be possible to forward it to the Naim to render, or am I restricted to direct attaching a DAC to the netbook?

Waiting with baited breath!

Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob - I believe your Naim gear supports UPnP/DLNA, so yes you can stream to it over the network from your laptop.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Rob - I believe your Naim gear supports UPnP/DLNA, so yes you can stream to it over the network from your laptop.

Chris,

Yes, the protocol that I use is UPnP, and I currently use JRiver in preference to the Naim app. for improved library management and tagging reasons.

My confusion/lack of understanding is whether it is possible to use JRiver as the "casting" solution (connection manager?) on the remote Zoneripper server and also simultaneously as the the control point on for renderer, 200 miles away - in my mind, one instance of JRiver running on the server is being interacted with by another on the laptop!

I would be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers,

Robert

I do something similar using Logitech Media Server (LMS) - I can stream my collection anywhere (and transcode as necessary to conserve bandwidth). I have a bunch of Raspbery Pi 2s with Hifiberry DACs attached (several at home, one at the office) - and using iPeng, I can also use my iPhone as an player.

I did buy a JRiver license a year ago, but I find that I rarely use it. Instead, I've gravitated toward using iPeng/LMS. And I think it all boils down to the fact that LMS allows you to have group of synchronized players/zones - meaning that I can have the same thing playing (synchronized) in the living room, dining room, bedroom, den, etc. I also found that JRiver seemed less stable - if there were network issues or connection problems it would crash/hang - which is something you don't really want when you're trying to listen to music away from home.

Two other points in LMS's favor: 1) LMS is pretty lightweight - I have it running on a Raspberry Pi that also acts as a Squeezebox player; and 2) LMS is free.

Long-time reader, first time poster.

Thank you thank you thank you...this is brilliant! It came at just the right time too, since I've been recently looking for the best way to stream my home music library (including a ton of Hi-Res stuff) to my Android phone. This fits the bill nicely. However, I've got one tiny nitpick (naturally): for use on my phone, I'm limited to JRemote as my phone music app. AFAIK, JRemote uses the Android's onboard DAC, which is degrading the sound quality before passing it on to my external USB DAC (an OPPO HA-2). Some Android players such as Onkyo HF and USB Audio Player Pro send the signal to the outboard DAC for processing, bypassing the Android mixer entirely. Is there a way to do this with the DLNA stream coming from a remote JRMC installation?

Fabulous article, full of wonderful, useful information! Thank you Chris! It took me some time to get my router to cooperate, but now that it is, your article has opened up multiple avenues for access to my library (just like you said it would). Wow! How cool to be able to listen to your private library from anywhere via wifi or cellular, and to listen in HD via wifi of or lte.

I'm particularly excited about using this feature in my car. Having recently installed a digital processor (dsp), class "A" power amps and Morel Supremo speakers, I had been struggling with to find a way to deliver HD FLAC files from my iPhone to the toslink input on the dsp. I already had JRMC on the HTPC and Jremote on the phone, and with Apple's lightning to HDMI adapter, and an HDMI breakout box with optical out, so the info in the article provided an easy to follow 'how to' for opening up the home library to the car with the convenience of the familiar Jremote UI. I am loving it!

thanks for the article. i had this working for about 5 songs and then my server (surface pro) became unresponsive. is this because i have both an internet router and a wireless router? also my internet router has an external wan and internal lan port address. do i use 52199 for both?

thanks for the article. i had this working for about 5 songs and then my server (surface pro) became unresponsive. is this because i have both an internet router and a wireless router? also my internet router has an external wan and internal lan port address. do i use 52199 for both?

Apologies. I forgot the username password I enter d in Jriver has to be added to remote. Works perfectly now.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, great article and it inspired me to try this setup in my kitchen.

Not sure if it's the complexity of my setup of the flakiness of BubbleUPNP, but I'm having mixed results. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be eternally grateful.

I've never been much of a Mac person, but we got one in the kitchen as it looks nice. Perhaps the first error...

Anyway, the Mac is running JRMC 21 (and 20, both with the same issues) and Bubble upnp server. The library for the Mac is on my HTPC running Win 10 and connected on the same network, wirelessly (library is shared using a share, not DLNA). The problem is that the Chromecast appears in JRMC intermittantly, not consistently. When it works it's great, but then it stops randomly. To get it back involves a sequence of restarts and reboots on the mac and chromecast, seemingly without order.

Casting to the chromecast audio from TuneIn on my iPhone works without issue, so I'm leaning towards it being something in the (over complicated?) setup.

Sorry if this is far too technical and in the wrong place, but it has been driving me slowly crazy!