IGNORED

Article: Streaming Around The Globe Or Around The Home With JRiver Media Center

Thanks for the very interesting article. I have two questions. One is concerning the other Chromecast (i.e. not the audio version). Do you know whether one can use the HDMI out of the chromecast for bit perfect streaming of audio rather than using the (probably) horrible DAC of the Chromecast. How in general is audio handled by the Chromecast?

In terms of DLNA functionality in JRiver, I am always confused how JRiver handles the audio path when in DLNA mode. JRiver usually gives no info on how the stream is going (especially in the case of DSD). Is it bitstreamed, converted on the fly to PCM or even worse to MP3. Is it possible in your scenario to stream bitperfect DSD from your home NAS to an iphone (which has an DSD DAC attached to it)? That would be very interesting.

Now if Plex would finally fix the last little iOS gapless playback issue, it would be even a better solution than J River as it supports offline sync to device as well with it's $8 app and free server or included syncing with lifetime subscription fee.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Thanks for the very interesting article. I have two questions. One is concerning the other Chromecast (i.e. not the audio version). Do you know whether one can use the HDMI out of the chromecast for bit perfect streaming of audio rather than using the (probably) horrible DAC of the Chromecast. How in general is audio handled by the Chromecast?

In terms of DLNA functionality in JRiver, I am always confused how JRiver handles the audio path when in DLNA mode. JRiver usually gives no info on how the stream is going (especially in the case of DSD). Is it bitstreamed, converted on the fly to PCM or even worse to MP3. Is it possible in your scenario to stream bitperfect DSD from your home NAS to an iphone (which has an DSD DAC attached to it)? That would be very interesting.

Good questions.

I don't know about the regular Chromecast non-audio version.

I just tried to stream DSD64 to my phone and it gave me the following error message. Maybe if I had a DSD DAC connected to my iPhone it would have worked. I don't know.

Audio Streaming Error - There was a problem playing the current audio file

IMG_1474.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Now if Plex would finally fix the last little iOS gapless playback issue, it would be even a better solution than J River as it supports offline sync to device as well with it's $8 app and free server or included syncing with lifetime subscription fee.

I look at Plex as a different animal. It's extremely limited when it comes to library management, but it's great for other things like streaming to an AppleTV etc... If you don't need to edit metadata or any large library management, Plex may be fine. I'm willing to bet that most people who use Plex only use it for the streaming side and have another app for management.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I look at Plex as a different animal. It's extremely limited when it comes to library management, but it's great for other things like streaming to an AppleTV etc... If you don't need to edit metadata or any large library management, Plex may be fine. I'm willing to bet that most people who use Plex only use it for the streaming side and have another app for management.

I thought the Plex Premium music library w/ Gracenote did a better default job at matching my library then Roon did with their meta data source. Of course Roon is better in every other way.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Good write up Chris.

Been using Raspberry Pi + CCA for around the home streaming for a while now.

Out of the home "lossless" streaming however has been tricky, mostly b/w related. Google Play Music is a nice option to upload your library but limited to lossy formats like MP3. Subsonic is another option.

A full blown NAS like Synology or even a limited one like Western Digital have the option of letting you stream your content out of home, but limited mostly to their apps.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

The Pono Music app uses JRiver as the base and you'll find howls of dismay from Pono users about it on their forum. It does not give iTunes any reason to worry. Seeing the addition of video doesn't change that impression with the regular JRiver Media Centre. Very geeky requiring a massive wiki to learn how to use. Not intuitive at all.

I'm hoping functionality makes up for the crude design. Though I can't say I'm impressed so far, (two crashes so far within 2 minutes of starting to import files), and the interface reminds me of a DOS-era file library program. Ugly, at least on my iMac.

And while there's a trial for JRiver Media Centre, you have to pay for the JRiver phone app up front.

Thanks Chris. Just set this up on my phone for the first time.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I had been using DS Audio for a few years to stream off my Synology NAS until I found JRemote, which I really like. Now it is my go to for music on my iPhone 6 Plus. I think all iOS audio apps that stream are limited by Apple to 24/48 output, at least I have not found a way to go higher with my iDSD Micro.

I started using JRMC in the audio only days and did not fully understand its capabilities. I thought it was just program bloat. Now I use it to stream video/photos to my smart TV as well and love it.

Balcy

Balcy, did you try NePLAYER on ios with the iDSD Micro. I don't have the iDSD Micro (yet, but i'm interested) but have neplayer. neplayer shows the bitrate of the source audio file but downsamples it to 44,1kHz without the company's DAC. I'm not sure if it is compatible with 3rd party dacs like the micro, but you'll love it if it does. Outside, i take my seagate wireless plus disk which has some hi-res files and stream it to neplayer. i can't recomend the DLNA server on the seagate as it is sometimes begins scanning and indexing from the very start every time you take it on. But when it works, the two works like a charm. Unlike any other streaming app i've tried, neplayer doesn't drop out playing (within the wireless range of course). i also have jremote app with jriver. it plays back fine up to 96kHz. i don't have evidence but i think neplayer playbacks with less timing errors than the others

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Nice write up, i have been using this setup for two years now and have no problems

at all, streaming full res audio (16/44) works 90% of the time, but a fallback to mp3 works 100%

out of my house via Jremote to phone and bluetooth to car stereo as well.

In my house streaming to anywhere on my network works perfect.

This is the best money spent today for our hobby. Don't really understand why more people aren't using this.

I have access to 100,000+ tracks anywhere in the world. Blows people's mind when i show them.

I just downloaded NePLAYER Lite and it looks very promising. However, it doesn't see my DLNA server on my DS411+II so nothing streams. Is streaming not included with the Lite version? One thing that bothers me with streaming audio is not knowing what is really happening with the music itself, is it being transcoded etc. Using the iDSD there is an LED that changes color to tell you what is there. NePLAYER seems to take that even further which I like.

EDIT: I just read the small print in NePLAYER and see it takes the full version to use networking (streaming). That's too bad as that is what I was interested in trying most and am leery to spend money audio unheard. :)

Great Article Chris!

I absolutely depend upon exactly the JRMC/JRemote configuration you describe every day.

I listen to music at work over headphones, in the Jeep Using BlueTooth to the Jeep's music system, and almost anywhere when I am traveling. It is really is more important to me than than it should be.

Couple quick points- with that specific combination, and if you have a router at home that is a little more advanced (such as a Cisco RV300 series), you can avoid opening that port in your firewall. You do this by generating a VPN (Virtual Private Network) from your phone back to your home router.

Once you have done that, then JRemote will think it is connected on the inside of your network, just as if you were at home, no matter where you really are. Also, all the transmissions between your phone and your home network are encrypted when you use a VPN. That may sound like a little bit of overkill, but it protects both your phone and your home network from "bad guys." Not absolutely necessary, but quite doable.

Second, transcoding the music stream to high quality MP3 works well for me in the the Jeep, because on the highway, I can not tell the difference anyway. It can save significant bandwidth if your cellular plan is stingy with data. It takes only a few seconds to change the transcoding settings in JRemote, and JRiver actually does the transcoding on your home machine, not on your iPhone.

JRemote works just as well over LTE or free WiFi, with or without a VPN, and there are uncapped WiFi connections just about everywhere these days.

Oh, I have not been able to get JRemote to stream DSD64 or better to my iPhone successfully. It tries, when there is a DSD capable DAC connected to it, but I think it is a JRemote bug. Been hoping that gets fixed in a future release.

With a VPN, you can stream Plex just as well by the way. It definitely has the gapping bug problem though, and is nowhere as convenient as JRemote. But it streams video better than JRemote.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Chris,

Your product reviews are fine and good, but these practical how-to materials add real value to me (and other hobby-level audio enthusiasts). I know the time and effort required to research and compose guidance like this. Furthermore, CA's content has advanced over the last several months in both quality and variety. *subscribed*

Well Balcy i also can't spend 500€ for the micro right now to see if this setup will work :) Anyway please let me know if in the future you try this

I understand completely. That is why I bought a used iDSD. If I do buy the app I will let you know how the combo works.

Balcy

Great Article Chris!

Couple quick points- with that specific combination, and if you have a router at home that is a little more advanced (such as a Cisco RV300 series), you can avoid opening that port in your firewall. You do this by generating a VPN (Virtual Private Network) from your phone back to your home router.

Oh, I have not been able to get JRemote to stream DSD64 or better to my iPhone successfully. It tries, when there is a DSD capable DAC connected to it, but I think it is a JRemote bug. Been hoping that gets fixed in a future release.

With a VPN, you can stream Plex just as well by the way. It definitely has the gapping bug problem though, and is nowhere as convenient as JRemote. But it streams video better than JRemote.

Are you talking about creating a VPN from the router side and then connecting the iPhone to it? I have an Asus RT-AC68 router which I believe does this and I also use Plex for video. Closing those ports would make the firewall stronger.

I couldn't get DSD to stream on my iPhone 6 Plus either using JRemote and know the iDSD Micro supports it.

Are you talking about creating a VPN from the router side and then connecting the iPhone to it? I have an Asus RT-AC68 router which I believe does this and I also use Plex for video. Closing those ports would make the firewall stronger.

I couldn't get DSD to stream on my iPhone 6 Plus either using JRemote and know the iDSD Micro supports it.

Well, actually you define the VPN on the router/firewall, but initiate the VPN from your phone or other remote device. With Cisco gear at home, all iOS gear "just works" - because a built in IPSec client is included in iOS. And MacOS. It is a wee bit more difficult from Windows.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Got it. I used the OpenVPN server on the router (forgot it was there) and added an OpenVPN client to my iPhone. Works like a charm with no port forwarding. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Chris,

Your product reviews are fine and good, but these practical how-to materials add real value to me (and other hobby-level audio enthusiasts). I know the time and effort required to research and compose guidance like this. Furthermore, CA's content has advanced over the last several months in both quality and variety. *subscribed*

Thanks so much for the kind words PC. Please let me know when you are looking for something specific. I'll do my best to write it up :~)

Great Article Chris!

I absolutely depend upon exactly the JRMC/JRemote configuration you describe every day.

I listen to music at work over headphones, in the Jeep Using BlueTooth to the Jeep's music system, and almost anywhere when I am traveling. It is really is more important to me than than it should be.

Once you have done that, then JRemote will think it is connected on the inside of your network, just as if you were at home, no matter where you really are. Also, all the transmissions between your phone and your home network are encrypted when you use a VPN. That may sound like a little bit of overkill, but it protects both your phone and your home network from "bad guys." Not absolutely necessary, but quite doable.

Second, transcoding the music stream to high quality MP3 works well for me in the the Jeep, because on the highway, I can not tell the difference anyway. It can save significant bandwidth if your cellular plan is stingy with data. It takes only a few seconds to change the transcoding settings in JRemote, and JRiver actually does the transcoding on your home machine, not on your iPhone.

JRemote works just as well over LTE or free WiFi, with or without a VPN, and there are uncapped WiFi connections just about everywhere these days.

Thanks for the post Paul.

I was using JRiver until I went headless with my Mac Mini.

It fails to "wake up" my USB connection so in order to start a listening session I have to remotely connect to the computer and revive it manually.

On the JRiver forum, users have said it's a bug in the Mac; no one from JRiver has replied.

But Roon and other apps work no problem - to me that's a bug in JRiver

Has anyone had similar problems and worked out a fix?

Thanks

Scott