IGNORED

Poll: Where are you along the cable divide?

Where are you along the cable divide?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a query, people who do not believe that cables make a difference at any level, what is your strand count?

Are you using bell wire or something better and if your not using bell wire, what has made you decide on this process if cables do not make a difference

For me, it's my choice and I know what I like and especially what I don't like in a sound. It's taken me over 20 years to get something as musical as I own

I've been down the DSD camp and upsampling everything and gone back to just leaving the music alone with out and sampling.

As for cables, I've heard cables costing over £100k in a system worth £50k and when it's been reverted to its ordinary cables, which are still worth a few grand, it sounded lifeless and very boring

The other brilliant thing our ears is once we are used to the sound, we forget what it once heard from that same system

As for my system, it's good enough for my ears and practical enough for my needs too. Like most, it's a compromise, but I feel it's a good one to compete some systems costing twice it's price by matching things right and yes using the best cables without going to daft

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

My "strand count" is 2 per cable (for analog interconnects).

PAII.jpg

Does this get me to the cool kids' lunch table?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Another fact is that science cannot answer everything we experience from music. If it could they'd be able to figure out what's happening in the mind when it goes wrong!

People out there are not giving their body and brain enough credit.

Just put some music on, sit back and enjoy

You're not giving science enough credit.

For the recommendation to sit back and enjoy some music, amen.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33804[/ATTACH]

They look like "food icing bags" with "tinfoil in the middle", but very cool at the same time.

Mine are solid core, so only one cable per channel. I'm guessing that yours have an approximately diameter is about 4mm each (if the were melted into a solid core), which is right for speaker cable. I know that's what mine is.

Again, even if this cable was about £2.50pm (which I'm guessing it isn't going on the plugs), 4mm is a great starting point and anyone looking to hear the difference should start with this more than the brand name.

Don't worry about whether it's multi-strand, all it has to be is nice grade copper

They look like "food icing bags" with "tinfoil in the middle", but very cool at the same time.

Mine are solid core, so only one cable per channel. I'm guessing that yours have an approximately diameter is about 4mm each (if the were melted into a solid core), which is right for speaker cable. I know that's what mine is.

Again, even if this cable was about £2.50pm (which I'm guessing it isn't going on the plugs), 4mm is a great starting point and anyone looking to hear the difference should start with this more than the brand name.

Don't worry about whether it's multi-strand, all it has to be is nice grade copper

Off by about a factor of 10 - slightly less than .4mm equivalent diameter (just over 15 thousandths of an inch, a little less than 26 gauge equivalent).

Edit: I think even with solid core, you need both ground and signal for each channel, so you also have (at least) two strands. :)

You're not giving science enough credit.

For the recommendation to sit back and enjoy some music, amen.

Yes I am, 4 months ago, I had what looked like a stroke or brain bleed, happily, neither had happened, yet I'm still recovering in the same fashion with no answers and medical science doesn't know how or why it has happened and are blaming it one the software side.

So, how can science know when they cannot even tell me what wrong with myself?

Your giving them too much credit

Yes I am, 4 months ago, I had what looked like a stroke or brain bleed, happily, neither had happened, yet I'm still recovering in the same fashion with no answers and medical science doesn't know how or why it has happened and are blaming it one the software side.

So, how can science know when they cannot even tell me what wrong with myself?

Your giving them too much credit

They know a little more about how the brain responds to music than you're giving them credit for. :)

They know a little more about how the brain responds to music than you're giving them credit for. :)

Until your sitting where I am and hear the stories, they no as much about how the brain really works as we understand what an animal is trying to say with our language gaps. It's why medical science is asking for brain donors again for people in my situation which I'm being told is as many as people with Parkinson and MS!

Now, don't get me wrong, I've been looked after by many people who I'm very grateful too.

Again though, no-one knows everything or has the answers to everything and why something's happen! Those who think they do really only see in black and white which again is a whole other subject [emoji12]

Until your sitting where I am and hear the stories, they no as much about how the brain really works as we understand what an animal is trying to say with our language gaps. It's why medical science is asking for brain donors again for people in my situation which I'm being told is as many as people with Parkinson and MS!

Now, don't get me wrong, I've been looked after by many people who I'm very grateful too.

Again though, no-one knows everything or has the answers to everything and why something's happen! Those who think they do really only see in black and white which again is a whole other subject [emoji12]

https://www.amazon.com/Playing-Ponies-Medical-Mysteries-Solved/dp/0813570557/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488568903&sr=8-1&keywords=playing+the+ponies+and+other+medical+mysteries+solved

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33804[/ATTACH]

To understand Jud's interconnects you have to know they were a therapy project from Nurse Ratched during his last R&R ;)

Nurse_Ratched.jpg

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

For those who may be interested in reading a short article that summarizes recent fMRI data on music perception by the brain - http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/48622/title/Infographic--Mapping-Musicality/

mappingmusicalitytop_640px2.jpg

See article for higher quality figure.

For a longer, more general review article describing experiments that attempt to elucidate human musicality - http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/48593/title/Understanding-the-Roots-of-Human-Musicality/

Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.” -I.A.