IGNORED

Dac upgrade help

I've got the bug, my theater/system is finally reaching a point where most of the "major" items are set. It's time to start squeaking that last little bit (whatever the little bit is) out... Current system: Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro, Oppo 103, GoldenEar Triton ones (full triton system but I'm just talking about two channel for this post)...now for the upgrade. I'm running a HTPC to a Little Dot MKI dac and it's time to move into the mid to late 2000's and into DSD, Asynchronous etc.... Price range is under $2K and would like to be closer to $1K. Music, not that it matters is a bit of everything, I use Tidal and have a few thousand FLAC tunes. I've owned in the day, EAD 7000 and Adcom GDA 700 dacs. I'm not much of a tweeker anymore, I prefer the set it and forget it. I would like to have balanced outputs, toslink, coax and usb inputs, volume not needed but if it's defeatable that's fine.

I have been researching the new Audio Alchemy DDP-1, Simaudio Neo 280D, anything else I should consider? DACMagic?

Thanks

So this will be for listening to music in 2 channel? The XMC-1 is already pretty good from what I've read... Have you tried Reference Stereo mode? Direct should be good too if you want to add bass management. There are some owners that have given favorable reports of Dirac used in 2 channel mode.

I've got the bug, my theater/system is finally reaching a point where most of the "major" items are set. It's time to start squeaking that last little bit (whatever the little bit is) out... Current system: Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro, Oppo 103, GoldenEar Triton ones (full triton system but I'm just talking about two channel for this post)...now for the upgrade. I'm running a HTPC to a Little Dot MKI dac and it's time to move into the mid to late 2000's and into DSD, Asynchronous etc.... Price range is under $2K and would like to be closer to $1K. Music, not that it matters is a bit of everything, I use Tidal and have a few thousand FLAC tunes. I've owned in the day, EAD 7000 and Adcom GDA 700 dacs. I'm not much of a tweeker anymore, I prefer the set it and forget it. I would like to have balanced outputs, toslink, coax and usb inputs, volume not needed but if it's defeatable that's fine.

I have been researching the new Audio Alchemy DDP-1, Simaudio Neo 280D, anything else I should consider? DACMagic?

Thanks

The MOON by Simaudio Neo 280D is a serious overachiever. Very hard to go wrong with this DAC at its price point (and some way beyond).

Disclaimer: I'm an authorized MOON by Simaudio dealer.

I think you would be much better off getting a 2 channel preamp with a HT pass through instead of a dac. Using the Oppo as your 2 channel source and bypassing the XMC-1 should sound a lot better than a new dac. You need to eliminate that bottleneck.

I think you would be much better off getting a 2 channel preamp with a HT pass through instead of a dac. Using the Oppo as your 2 channel source and bypassing the XMC-1 should sound a lot better than a new dac. You need to eliminate that bottleneck.

Exactly what I was thinking, plenty of Emo fans using their XSP-1 preamp in HT bypass with the XMC-1

So now more confused! I hadn't given a preamp a thought, my Emotiva was such a huge step up from my Denon X4000 that I was using as a pre/pro. I still like the idea of a potential upgraded dac but a nice tube preamp like a Cary SLP 03 intrigues me with the proc bypass and balanced connections...hmmmm

So now more confused! I hadn't given a preamp a thought, my Emotiva was such a huge step up from my Denon X4000 that I was using as a pre/pro. I still like the idea of a potential upgraded dac but a nice tube preamp like a Cary SLP 03 intrigues me with the proc bypass and balanced connections...hmmmm

If you're confused, I would suggest you hold off on buying anything until you can get a demo. The more you spend, the bigger the risk. But if I had to guess, I think you'll notice a bigger difference going from your Emotiva to a high quality 2 channel pre, than you did going from the Denon to the Emotiva.