For me playing my hard drive and internet radio through my stereo is great.
If you explain exactly including any hardware & software (don't forget the OS of the laptop) of how you personally actually achieve this with your current setup, then perhaps someone could come up with a suggestion for YouTube.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I'll do my best, Windows 10 laptop, Comcast modem,router....I play my music using an Ipad. I use Lighning DS to my Auralic Aries to a Auralic Vega out to my stereo. I don't think it's possible to do what I want. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to be able to.

I'll do my best, Windows 10 laptop, Comcast modem,router....I play my music using an Ipad. I use Lighning DS to my Auralic Aries to a Auralic Vega out to my stereo. I don't think it's possible to do what I want. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to be able to.

Ok, how about using the Aries's AirPlay support and use YouTube on the iPad instead of the Windows 10 laptop?

If the Aries's support of Apple's AirPlay extends to AirPlay's sync mechanism, then the output from the Aries should be in sync with the YouTube video playback on the iPad (or any other music producing app on the iPad for that matter).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Most likely Neil C was referring to the Chromecast Audio device, rather than the Chromecast (video) one - the two aren't the same thing. Seeing as you are interested in the Chromecast Audio, does that mean you really have to use the Windows 10 laptop for YouTube and not the iPad?

I'm asking, because there are other wireless network methods other than using a Chromecast Audio you can use to get YouTube on the Windows 10 laptop to the kit you've identified, using software - some even free. However, unlike the AirPlay from the iPad method, there's likely to be a sync issue with whatever method you use for the Windows laptop, including the Chromecast Audio. If the sound arriving at the stereo not being in sync with YouTube is not an issue with you, then by all means use the Windows 10 laptop.

-- Jo Cox

Yes, Chromecast Audio has RCA and spdif digital outs. ChromeCast original only has HDMI. I plug my ChromeCast Video into my oppo Blu-ray player and that into my stereo. Note that not all Cast enabled apps that are display centric will work with audio version if casting from your phone, I imagine games and such. Casting a web page from your PC should work for all sites, so YouTube in chrome browser should be fine. I bought mine purely to be able to play SoundCloud through my hifi. YouTube works well too. I may get an audio version to plug into the kitchen stereo. Roku didn't have a SoundCloud app else I would have got that.

Also note that "casting" from chrome on yr PC and from an app work differently. Once a connection is made and music is playing then the difference ces are:

From a browser. The YouTube is playing on your PC and the ChromeCast mirrors it. This the video goes over wireless first to the PC and then the PC sends over wireless a second time the video to the ChromeCast. If you close your browser the video stops.

With an app, once the video is playing it is coming straight from your router to your ChromeCast, it is not being sent to your device. The app just acts as a wireless remote. This is good as on a phone it'll save your battery life.

N.