IGNORED

Connecting a Aurender N100H to a AV receiver

My son is looking to setup his first 5.1 home theater and he would like to enjoy digital music and streaming with better quality then say a Sonos connect. Pioneer Elite SC-99 has a USB DAC input - this is the only receiver that I have found that even has this type of input. I'm thinking that an Aurender N100H would be ideal but will it work?

Here is the link to this model - also links to the Windows software drivers and Owners manual (In the manual pages 73,83 and 130 say a few words about the USB DAC input): SC-99 - 9.2 Channel Networked Class D<sup>3</sup> AV Receiver | Pioneer Electronics USA

Here is a link to the rear picture - just to the left and below the power plug you will see a USB DAC IN port.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Images/Product%20Images/Home/SC-99/SC-99_large_back.jpg

1. Yes it will connect but in the manual it says that the laptop needs a Windows driver that Pioneer supplies doubt that I can load that into the N100H or can I? Aurender has a Windows driver doubt that it will work with the receiver? Or am I missing something?

2. The internal DAC within the receiver will play DSD along with PCM but the Aurender sends DSD over PCM (DoP) - will that work? So far no help for Pioneer they did not even know about Aurender or what a music server is for that matter.

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

Out of respect for others' eyesight, please use the standard size font.

The Aurender is 2 channel, not 5.1. The receiver manual should describe how it works with 2 channel sources.

If the Pioneer doesn't require a driver to use with a Mac, there's a decent chance it will work with Aurender, which is Linux based.

These are questions a dealer providing good customer service should be able to answer.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Sorry for the small font not sure what happened.

Also yes of course this is for 2 channel its just that it is a home theater so its multi purpose room. I think this is new territory for all as no receiver that I can find has such a port so good dealer or not this is unknown at the retail level unless the dealer has both in stock which is unlikely. I think this is a natural additional area for a N100H to expand into. I see Aurender offers a UC100 but with the cost of it at $500 and an additional Coax cable needed plus probably some sonic losses this is not ideal at all - rather spend extra $$'s on a better USB cable then do this.

Also after reading more in the manual DSD over PCM (DoP) is supported so the only thing left is the driver issue? There is no mention of a Mac driver support by Pioneer either.

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

Chris - Thanks for the help I will be sending an email to Aurender support today with this additional info. I think this will be very helpful and would of never of even thought of or been able to drill down to what I think will be a simple fact that can help provide an answer - Thanks!!

Also can you get me the page number in the Pioneer manual that says "Note that for Mac OS, there is no need to install the driver software" as I agree this is a good sign.

On a different subject did you see my thread on the Bricasti M1 DAC? Do you think at some point you can do a review?

Chris - Thanks for the help I will be sending an email to Aurender support today with this additional info. I think this will be very helpful and would of never of even thought of or been able to drill down to what I think will be a simple fact that can help provide an answer - Thanks!!

Also can you get me the page number in the Pioneer manual that says "Note that for Mac OS, there is no need to install the driver software" as I agree this is a good sign.

On a different subject did you see my thread on the Bricasti M1 DAC? Do you think at some point you can do a review?

Here is a link to the PDF manual (LINK). On page 48 you will find the statement "Note that for Mac OS, there is no need to install the driver software."

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi MichaelD

My son is looking to setup his first 5.1 home theater and he would like to enjoy digital music and streaming with better quality then say a Sonos Connect. Pioneer Elite SC-99 has a USB DAC input - this is the only receiver that I have found that even has this type of input. I'm thinking that an Aurender N100H would be ideal
Not sure why the Aurender would be ideal, being more like a computer music player/(external DAC)server than a network streamer/renderer such as the Sonos Connect. I'm actually surprised nobody's yet mentioned the obvious and asked you:

Have you considered using the SC-99 own very capable built-in network audio file playing capabilities using UPnP/DLNA streaming, therefore decoding & playing the files directly to its own internally connected DAC?

The SC-99 even has the capability of network streaming and playing 5.0 & 5.1 FLAC & WAV files! Also, the SC-99 can network stream & play DSD DFF & DSF files (2.8MHz & 5.6MHz - 2 channel only). See p.83 of the operating instructions for all the supported file formats when network file streaming via UPnP/DLNA.

2. The internal DAC within the receiver will play DSD along with PCM but the Aurender sends DSD over PCM (DoP) - will that work? So far no help for Pioneer they did not even know about Aurender or what a music server is for that matter.
According to p.68 of the SC-99's operating instructions, its USB-DAC input support of DSD is via DoP. However, unlike the SC-99's UPnP/DLNA file streaming support of up to double rate 5.6MHz DSD, the USB-DAC input is restricted to single rate 2.8MHz DSD (over PCM).

Pioneer support were probably confused by your reference to a 'music server', perhaps thinking you were referring to a 'media server', especially if you also happened to mention 'streaming'.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Presumably, you mean a comparison between the SC-99 playing a music file on its own compared to the Aurender playing the same music file using the SC-99 as its external DAC? No I haven't, Brian, as I don't have access to even one of the devices, let alone both :)

However, the hard to ignore 'technical matters' points to a choice between using an existing top of the range AVR's built-in network audio player and purchasing a high end music server in order to use the AVR as the music server's external DAC. I think the sensible suggestion would be to at least try out what's already available, ie, a better music file support spec with one less device using the same (but internally connected) DAC.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Presumably, you mean a comparison between the SC-99 playing a music file on its own compared to the Aurender playing the same music file using the SC-99 as its external DAC? No I haven't, Brian, as I don't have access to even one of the devices, let alone both :)

However, the hard to ignore 'technical matters' points to a choice between using an existing top of the range AVR's built-in network audio player and purchasing a high end music server in order to use the AVR as the music server's external DAC. I think the sensible suggestion would be to at least try out what's already available, ie, a better music file support spec with one less device using the same (but internally connected) DAC.

Cebolla - I get what you mean to a point to stream directly but what is controlling the stream. With Sonos you have the Sonos app, with Aurender you have the Aurender app with what you are proposing what controls it? How can playlist be created, how can you intermix Tidal or some other CD quality streaming service the same playlist? Maybe I'm missing something - can you explain in more detail? You talk about UPnP/DLNA streaming what is that?

Forgive me if I missed something. Have you actually tried connected the N100H (or any Aurender renderer) to the Pioneer's USB port? If so and it doesn't work, have you tried any USB device on that port.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Forgive me if I missed something. Have you actually tried connected the N100H (or any Aurender renderer) to the Pioneer's USB port? If so and it doesn't work, have you tried any USB device on that port.

NO that is the whole point! I'm trying to find out before purchase. So Far Eric at Aurender says 95% sure it will with Chris C. help above but as you can imagine they have never tested them together either. So far Pioneer has not been much help. I don't want to order both then find out it does not work so either I or the dealer needs to deal with a used equipment. Still working with Pioneer maybe can get a loaner SC-99 as I have a N10 so if mine works then a N100H will also.

NO that is the whole point! I'm trying to find out before purchase. So Far Eric at Aurender says 95% sure it will with Chris C. help above but as you can imagine they have never tested them together either. So far Pioneer has not been much help. I don't want to order both then find out it does not work so either I or the dealer needs to deal with a used equipment. Still working with Pioneer maybe can get a loaner SC-99 as I have a N10 so if mine works then a N100H will also.

Anyone near you have a liberal return policy? Walmart, etc...

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Anyone near you have a liberal return policy? Walmart, etc...

That is what I thinking this may come too. I really have never done this before so am trying to avoid. I would not expect Walmart to have this unit even on the internet it's more like BB or a Magnolia room thing. I'm working with the Pioneer support I'm hopeful they can maybe supply one???

Michael, why don't you contact an Aurender dealer near you (Ultra Fidelis) and ask them to help you test it out. If they are unwilling I know someone who is and will be up in your neck of the woods in about ten days, but suggest UF as your first option.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Brian - the Aurender is not the issue its getting my hands on the Pioneer receiver. Currently have a dealer working on this with his Pioneer rep. hopefully he has better luck then I did with customer support. Once I can get my hands on a receiver then I can test with my N10. Until then its kind of a chicken and an egg thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well got to test and it worked fine.....but we were not happy with the sound. Plugged it in, started it up, and switched inputs it just worked no hassle (DSD and all other PCM formats worked just fine). Tried my Martin Logan Summit X's and demo Revel '08's both sounded pretty thin and just wrong using decent cables Nordost Frey 2 speaker, Valhalla 2 power and AQ Diamond USB. Even with much better cables then what my son would be using the sound was just poor. Too bad as this would of made a fairly economical package for all in one room system - did not see this coming. We were not looking for stellar - that is in my music room - but certainly better then my SC-05 which by the way has pretty good sound with the Summit X's in my media room. What I came to realize is that Pioneer Elite of today has gone south big time. Did the buy-out by Oynko have that big of an effect so soon?? My SC-05 does not have all the latest goodies etc. nor what they claim currently as better amps but it does sound better without question and all that with stock power cord go figure?.

So now we are going down another path with a Parasound Integrated and when I upgrade my media room this fall I will give my son the Pioneer Elite 60" Plasma and SC-05. In the meantime he can enjoy some great sound. He is thinking of Martin Logan Montis and a 210 sub, Parasound Integrated, Aurender N100H should be a nice start for him.

Yes all three days