IGNORED

Stream Tidal with Rasberry Pi

I would like to replace a MacBook Pro with a Raspberry Pi to stream Tidal into my (USB) Parasound Integrated Amp. Also, control the Raspberry Pi using an iPhone or iPad. Is there any software that would accomplish this goal?

Thanks,

Ed

I would like to replace a MacBook Pro with a Raspberry Pi to stream Tidal into my (USB) Parasound Integrated Amp. Also, control the Raspberry Pi using an iPhone or iPad. Is there any software that would accomplish this goal?

Thanks,

Ed

See my last post (nr, 27) in this thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/best-pc-universal-plug-dplay-software-streaming-setup-19296/index2.html

... both Tidal and Qobuz, as well.

Iain

Is that the correct link?

If so, what does the BubbleUPnP Server helper software (to provide OpenHome renderer emulation for a standard UPnP/DLNA supporting Denon AVR 3313 streamer or some random Marantz streamer, from what I can make out)

and the Bluestacks Android Emulator software (to allow hosting the BubbleDS Next Android OpenHome controller app on a Windows or Mac computer, also from what I can make out),

have to do with the OP's requirement for software for a Raspberry Pi to allow streamimg from TIDAL, using the Pi's audio USB output to the OP's Parasound Integrated Amp's USB DAC input and for a control app for the above to run on an iPad or iPhone?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks,

Ed

The easiest way to do it would be to get a $35 Chromecast Audio and use the BubbleUPnP app on any Android smartphone. I do it this way. Also, install MinimServer on the Pi and stream everything to CCA.

An excellent option for anything under 24/96. If you are into high res music then you'll need to use the Pi via USB.

I did read moOde (MPD Linux distro for the Pi) has the option of adding Tidal, but I've not tested it. I simply use Chromecast Audio for all the internet radio and streaming services like Tidal, Spotify, etc. in addition to local streaming from the Pi + NAS.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Iain

Is that the correct link?

If so, what does the BubbleUPnP Server helper software (to provide OpenHome renderer emulation for a standard UPnP/DLNA supporting Denon AVR 3313 streamer or some random Marantz streamer, from what I can make out)

and the Bluestacks Android Emulator software (to allow hosting the BubbleDS Next Android OpenHome controller app on a Windows or Mac computer, also from what I can make out),

have to do with the OP's requirement for software for a Raspberry Pi to allow streamimg from TIDAL, using the Pi's audio USB output to the OP's Parasound Integrated Amp's USB DAC input and for a control app for the above to run on an iPad or iPhone?

John

Actually, the text in that post is irrelevant to this thread. The pertinent information are in the upper left and lower images, where it shows configuration options and apps for both Tidal and Qobuz for Android.

Here's a few more images for both apps:

Android.jpg

Thread OP should be able to download and install the apps straight away. My point of the post is if Raspberry Pi won't do what he requires, other options are available that will.

BTW, my biggest problem is I only have 5-10 minutes to edit my posts. After that , they are "etched in stone". Is there a way to increase that time frame? Most other forums give 48-72 hours.

Tidal.jpg

Qobuz.jpg

Thanks,

Ed

LogitechMediaServer running Max2Play OS on Raspberry Pi (there is a beta for the new pi3).

USB will depend on the USB chip used in the amp.

Odroid C1+ running the same OS.

The raspberry pi usb and ethernet share the same bus at the moment, there will be, later this year, an A version of the pi3 (which only uses wireless/Bluetooth and usb) which will make a good player?client.

I think on the Odroid C1+ the usb and ethernet run on separate buses.

I should know, as I have both, (but can't remember if I ever found out) but in truth it's not really relevant as I hear no difference between the two, into the same dac.

atb

Ronnie.

LogitechMediaServer running Max2Play OS on Raspberry Pi
Good call, though I imagine it would require a fair bit of Linux tinkering, not least to set up ALSA for the USB DAC. Presumably, the Logitech Media Server comes from using SqueezePlug for Max2Play, which includes LMS (TIDAL supported by installing the ickStream LMS plugin).

SqueezePlug also includes a Squeezelite Squeezebox emulator which will be needed to do the actual streaming from TIDAL via LMS and playing to the USB DAC in the amp attached to the Pi. Control of Squeezelite using any standard Squeezebox controller app.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Good call, though I imagine it would require a fair bit of Linux tinkering, not least to set up ALSA for the USB DAC. Presumably, the Logitech Media Server comes from using SqueezePlug for Max2Play, which includes LMS (TIDAL supported by installing the ickStream LMS plugin).

SqueezePlug also includes a Squeezelite Squeezebox emulator which will be needed to do the actual streaming from TIDAL via LMS and playing to the USB DAC in the amp attached to the Pi. Control of Squeezelite using any standard Squeezebox controller app.

Max2play is configured by a series of drop down and Tab menus.

Tidal is also available via a plugin from Mysqueezebox.com (also Spotify), they both work pretty well.

Qobuz is on a third party plugin I think.

Squeezelite is installed via a tabbed page and selecting the required output from a drop-down.

The only snag is if the Via usb driver is incorporated into the raspbian kernel (if using a pi) and the Ubuntu kernel if using an Odroid C1+.

At the moment I am running LMS on a rpi2B+ and using an Odroid C1+ as a player into a iFi Nano usb3 and Nano dac.

Sounds nice.

Please check out https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer/wiki/Install-Raspberry-Pi. Pete has done a tremendous with this and I use it on my PI2. I actually use a dedicated DAC board which connects to a Denon Receiver with Digital In. You would need to use MediaPlayer in conjunction with Bubble UPnp and then media player shows up as a renderer. In my setup, I can go directly to Bubble UPnp to Denon using the Denon as Renderer but in order to take advantage of the DAC, I usually use Pete's setup.

Reference -> WIIM Pro Plus powered by Larry's HDPlex-> CA DacMagic Plus -> AudioResearch DS225 Audioquest XLR -> Sonus Faber Olympica 2 Kimber Speaker Wire

Family Room -> ALOO DIGIONE -> SPDF-> Onkyo TX-NR609 -> 7.1 In Wall Polk Audio SVS Sub (Home Theatre)

Living Room-> BlueSound NODE Gen3-> Carver THX Amp -> NHT Zero + SVS SB-1000 (LivingRoom)

• 7 months later...
LogitechMediaServer running Max2Play OS on Raspberry Pi (there is a beta for the new pi3).

USB will depend on the USB chip used in the amp.

Odroid C1+ running the same OS.

The raspberry pi usb and ethernet share the same bus at the moment, there will be, later this year, an A version of the pi3 (which only uses wireless/Bluetooth and usb) which will make a good player?client.

I think on the Odroid C1+ the usb and ethernet run on separate buses.

I should know, as I have both, (but can't remember if I ever found out) but in truth it's not really relevant as I hear no difference between the two, into the same dac.

atb

Ronnie.

Thanks for mentioning us, Ronnie! And thanks for championing our efforts by using us. We also recently added a Google Music plugin, regarding your mention of Tidal and Spotify.

We actually have a sound card selection option in the Raspberry Settings menu. There, just select your sound card (we have the generic USB DAC drivers for Raspberry Pi as a selection, too) and click save, and the Squeezelite player has an option added for the sound card's output. All configurations are done like this using your own web interface accessible from any device in the local network by just typing "max2play/" in the browser.