IGNORED

Who are You Going to See?

In addition to the two previously mentioned Kurt Elling-Branford Marsalis and McCoy Tyner concerts as part of the PDX jazz festival, just booked:

Yellowjackets

Charlene Wade - The music of Gil-Scott Heron

Maria Schneider Orchestra

Joey Calderazzo Quintet

John Abecrombie Quartet

Emmett Cohen

John Scofield

Holy Jazz... can't wait for February's music extravaganza

iMac > NAD C388 Integrated with BluOS module > Linn Keilidh

I was out of town when the tickets went on sale, but just finally managed to acquire a pair of really well placed seats through a friend for Loreena McKennitt's concert this coming Wednesday night. The concert is taking place in a very upscale 1930'40's theater with superb acoustics in Ann Arbor. I saw her perform there once about six years ago, and it was magical, especially in that setting.

JC

Last and I mean THE LAST concert I saw was GRACE POTTER sans the Nocturnals and sadly Matt Burr.

She was wonderful as usual-what a show woman and what a VOICE!-but we missed her bluesy folk-rock americana style and all the 'smoke'/near 'pop' like atmosphere was too too much but the crowd was our age/maybe some older/and much much younger and sold out and we stood the whole time!

We met with Grace backstage- as her parents are classmates of ours and our son and spouse were the Nocturnal's road and financial managers wayback in the very beginning-they were all classmates at St Lawrence University and my son has known Matt since prep school- she is gracious and as down to earth as can be-the travel schedule is gruesome Boston to Syracuse then on Qatar for a USO like show.

We all agreed (the four of us) no more live concerts we'll just listen in 24/96 lossless and have our memories.

In addition to the two previously mentioned Kurt Elling-Branford Marsalis and McCoy Tyner concerts as part of the PDX jazz festival, just booked:

Yellowjackets

Charlene Wade - The music of Gil-Scott Heron

Maria Schneider Orchestra

Joey Calderazzo Quintet

John Abecrombie Quartet

Emmett Cohen

John Scofield

Holy Jazz... can't wait for February's music extravaganza

I'm seeing Rudresh Mahanthappa on 10/20. I'm thinking of seeing McCoy again since he's in PDX for the first time in a decade.

Thanks for the heads up re: Charenee Wade, her GSH album is stupendous.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kamasi Washington in Portland on 12/1. Standing and dancing room only!!!

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

I am a big fan, saw her serveral months back. Be sure to check in and let us know how it was.

Great to hear from another fan. She was amazing! Lots of tracks from the latest album, which was great as I really like it. She ended with Dylan's Ring Them Bells. Somehow she makes it all look easy or rather just completely natural. The music just flows. What a talent! The venue – Union Chapel – a church in North London sounded wonderful.

Audioquest Nighthawks / B&W P7 / Audeze EL-8 (open) + Audeze Deckard / Dragonfly Red

Great to hear from another fan. She was amazing! Lots of tracks from the latest album, which was great as I really like it. She ended with Dylan's Ring Them Bells. Somehow she makes it all look easy or rather just completely natural. The music just flows. What a talent! The venue – Union Chapel – a church in North London sounded wonderful.

That's cool, glad that it was a good show. She is indeed talented beyond her years. And yes, to watch her hands glide effortlessly across the octave mandolin on songs like Ring Them Bells is super cool. Be sure to check out Aoife O'Donovan if you have not listened to her. You would also appreciate Parker Milsap.

That's cool, glad that it was a good show. She is indeed talented beyond her years. And yes, to watch her hands glide effortlessly across the octave mandolin on songs like Ring Them Bells is super cool. Be sure to check out Aoife O'Donovan if you have not listened to her. You would also appreciate Parker Milsap.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like Parker Milsap and Aoife O'Donovan, though I need to get Milsap's latest album. Would love to see them live. Sarah Jarosz was a real highlight concert this year (together with Jason Isbell).

Audioquest Nighthawks / B&W P7 / Audeze EL-8 (open) + Audeze Deckard / Dragonfly Red

Also I recently had the pleasure of hearing Robin Bullock, a master at Celtic Guitar, in the living room of a friends home.

It is amazing hearing someone who plays that well in such an intimate setting.

Reminded me of the mid 70's when Robbie Basho used to drop by the house I was sharing. He was a 12 string master...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I will be heading off shortly to see Agnes Obel tonight performing at The Town Hall in Birmingham, UK.

Sonically, The Town Hall is not the best of venues, but I am guessing she would not sell enough tickets to justify performing at the "big sister" venue of The Birmingham Symphony Hall.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

• 3 months later...

Waiting to see Dave Holland on April 7th here in PDX.

In the meantime since my last post, have seen Ralph Peterson and Triangular, the Monophonics, Orgone, and Craig Taborn.