IGNORED

Jitter problem

In 1998 first time the word bit-perfect was used, created by Philips marketing.

And since that...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28289[/ATTACH]

click to enlarge

Ummm... Myself and ohers used the term "bit perfect" in relation to data transmissions and backups in the late 1970's, and I am sure it was in common usage well before that. ;)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Ummm... Myself and ohers used the term "bit perfect" in relation to data transmissions and backups in the late 1970's, and I am sure it was in common usage well before that. ;)

Paul,

I linked the manual of the first audio product where bit perfect was used, so please do the same and find me a document of the late 80's in the data transmissions world.

May be it's time for you to ask for royalties :)

Paul,

I linked the manual of the first audio product where bit perfect was used, so please do the same and find me a document of the late 80's in the data transmissions world.

May be it's time for you to ask for royalties :)

Well, you know, the earliest reference I could find was in a 1956 RAMAC 305 disk manual, and it was "bit for bit perfect copies." Not sure if that counts, so I'll concede here. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

First you two must come to some understanding as to whether bit perfect, bit-perfect or bitperfect are all equivalent or not? :)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Abtr. This is quite a thread. There is no possible way I will have time to read through it all (nor follow the majority of it!).

I'm personally looking at purchasing a MF MX-DAC, and wondering if in the end you figured out your SQ issues were due to electrical grounding problems? FYI I would be feeding my MX-DAC USB via Microrendu, not direct from PC, so maybe avoiding that potential issue?

Thanks

Hi Abtr. This is quite a thread. There is no possible way I will have time to read through it all (nor follow the majority of it!).

I'm personally looking at purchasing a MF MX-DAC, and wondering if in the end you figured out your SQ issues were due to electrical grounding problems? FYI I would be feeding my MX-DAC USB via Microrendu, not direct from PC, so maybe avoiding that potential issue?

Thanks

Hi Rlow,

No need to read the whole thread. The problem was some electrical ground loop or noise. I basically lifted mains ground for all audio gear and the problem was solved. And, in my system, the Intona USB isolator makes an audible difference, but with your Microrendu galvanic isolation may not be necessary. By the way, the MX-DAC is a fine DAC but I recently bought a Shiit Modi Multibit and I prefer it over the MX-DAC soundwise. The Shiit is a real bargain. :)

I've compared the Modi Multibit with the MX-DAC in several different audio systems and regardless of using USB or S/PDIF input, I would describe the Multibit as more natural, or analog sounding than the MX-DAC. And the Schiit is definitely more resolving; you will hear more/better detail and separation. I didn't try the balanced output of the MX-DAC..