IGNORED

Using the Play/Pause Forward/Backward Buttons on an Apple Keyboard to Control Fidelity

hiFidelityMan

Hi,

My preferred audio player of choice is Fidelity. I would like to be able to use the Play/Pause Forward/Backward buttons on my Apple keyboard to control it.

The odd thing, is that sometimes they work with Fidelity and sometimes they don't. Usually, pressing the Play/Pause button just opens iTunes. But sometimes they co-operate correctly with Fidelity.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or know how to get the aforementioned buttons to work ALL the time with Fidelity?

All help is very much appreciated! :)

- hiFidelityMan

I think you have to be in the program for those keys to work. For example, if you have the Fidelity window minimized and are doing something else in another program, those special keys may not work. Another thing you may notice is volume control. When you use the volume control keys on your keyboard, Fidelity's volume control should work when its window is active, if not, the OS's volume control should be used. You may want to check Fidelity's preferences to see if you can override some of those features.

I think you have to be in the program for those keys to work. For example, if you have the Fidelity window minimized and are doing something else in another program, those special keys may not work. Another thing you may notice is volume control. When you use the volume control keys on your keyboard, Fidelity's volume control should work when its window is active, if not, the OS's volume control should be used. You may want to check Fidelity's preferences to see if you can override some of those features.

CR250,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried using the keys with Fidelity in focus, but to no avail. Like I said, it works at random times wether or not Fidelity is in focus.

Also, I cannot find anything in preferences, and the application won't let you program the Play/Pause button as a command.

I am not sure about the volume control on Fidelity.

- hiFidelityMan

The application must explicitly take control over the media keys – the are no global setting. Tidal and Spotify does this. Talk to the developers.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

The application must explicitly take control over the media keys – the are no global setting. Tidal and Spotify does this. Talk to the developers.

Actually, at this moment the keys are controlling Fidelia. But that is a RANDOM occurrence.

- hiFidelityMan

I assume the controls you want to use are not separate keys like on some keyboards, but function keys? F8? If so, look for a button on your keyboard that is labeled fn. Depending on how the computer is set up, you usually hold the fn key down and then press whatever function you need. It works like a shift key in that it allows a key to have more than one function. Play with it and see what type of effect it has. I'm thinking it may work like a num lock or caps lock key, where you can turn it on and off.

If that doesn’t help, on most media players, the keyboard shortcut for play/pause is the space key. You may have to deactivate that key in preferences before you can assign a different key to play/pause. And you'll probably have to save the change so you don't have to do it every time you start your media player.

Actually, at this moment the keys are controlling Fidelia. But that is a RANDOM occurrence.

Are we talking about Fidelia? If that's the case, if you go to Preferences -> Commands, you can see all the keyboard-shortcut assignments and edit them.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Hi Guys,

I think that I figured out the issue. When I have Fidelia in hog mode (audio device exclusive to Fidelia) the Play/Pause and Next/Previous buttons work properly with Fidelia. However, the volume doesn't work; even if I change the audio/midi settings to use my DAC.

I think this is part of the solution anyway.

- hiFidelityMan