IGNORED

NEW Konvertible Lite USB Cables from Elijah Audio

REVIEW - NEW Konvertible Lite USB cables, Elijah Audio

Elijah Audio - Products

Reviewer: Mattjtaylor2809

Financial Interests: None – see below

Digital Sources: 2009 Mac Mini (El Capitan) > PureMusic (latest s/ware) > REGAN USB > Klein DAC

Preamp: Bryston BP-16

Amplifier: Vincent SP-331 “end stage processes the input signal via two 6N16 valves each”

Speakers: Adelaide Speakers, Summoner 863PPDXTL (bi-amp) – 8 ohms; 120 watts, 95.5 db

Cables: Konvertible Lite 500mm USB pre REGEN & Konvertible Lite 160mm post REGEN. Audio Principe IC’s plus QED XT400 speaker cables.

Power: Breeze Audio LPSU @ 9.4 Volts into REGEN. Consonance PW-1 power board plus Audio Principe power cables.

I’ve always been impressed with the quality of the locally made Elijah USB cables (local to me in Adelaide!) and have been using them in my digital systems for the last 3-4 years.

Recently after reading all the hype surrounding the “Curious Cables” in Australia, I became “curious” and purchased the “link” to replace the short hard body link supplied with the REGEN. Upon listening to the Curious Cable I felt it offered a more “organic/warmer” sound compared to the USB link supplied with the REGEN, however I also felt that I was missing something?

Enter the new Konvertible lite USB lite cable produced by Michael at Elijah Audio based in Adelaide, Australia. This new Konvertible Lite is 2 cables in one as it’s a regular USB cable compatible with all systems, or if your system allows, the 5v lead can be detached for a cleaner sound. The unused 5v socket can also be closed with the 5v blocking plug for further refinement.

For the purposes of this review I used the Konvertible Lite 500mm from the MacMini >REGEN & the 160mm Konvertible Lite from the REGEN > Gieseler Audio Klein DAC. It’s also available in both 300 mm & 800 mm lengths.

As I’ve purchased a few cables from Michael over the years and we’ve also discussed the Curious Cable “Link”, he asked me to have a listen to his new cable.

What became very obvious from the very outset was the amount of detail these cables drag out from your digital files. Initially I though there was too much detail which was “almost” distracting as was hearing things that have never been there before. I’m very much of the “warmer” sound over outright “detail” kinda guy however over time you start to realise when going back to the Curious Cable that you are missing out on something.

The type of music I mainly listen to is the likes of Elbow, Band of Skulls, London Grammar, Fink, Tool, Matt Corby, some orchestral music plus older eighties and nineties music from The Falling Joys, The Tea Party, Black, The Cure plus much much more. For the record, all my files are stored on an external SSD (500 GB Samsung T1); most Apple Lossless or AIFF.

What I found with the Konvertible cable was that I was now hearing a more detailed, almost a “studio” sound (not sure what this means but sounds right); i.e. I’ve never heard that there was a second sound of the hand moving down the fret of the guitar whilst changing chords at the start of “Charge”, the second song from Elbow’s latest album “The Take off & Landing of Everything”. On the same album, the excellent “New York Morning” knitted together better as you could now decipher what was previously sounding like background “hiss” was now an integral part of the song, possibly how the band intended it to sound I’m sure?

During London Grammar’s opening song “Hey Now” from their 2013 Album “If you Wait”, the lovely bass had more detail to it, not just bass but you could hear little nuances as part of the lower reaches.

From one of my most favorite albums, “Band of Skull’s first album called “Baby, Doll Face, Honey”, the last track “Cold Fame” gave me the chills; always a good sign in Hi-Fi when you get the shivers with the outright pureness of the opening chords plus now all the details…even to the point of hearing sharp intakes of breath between notes etc..

To ensure I wasn’t hearing things I asked my wife to pop into the “man cave’ to simply listen to a song. All I said was that I was trying out a new USB cable, I didn't tell her which one & just asked her to listen to the same song. Straight after the comparison (Curious Cable Vs the Konvertible Lite) she said she preferred the Konvertible Lite because she heard much more detail. Although she found the sound “brassier” than the Curious Cable (her words not mine), this was not necessarily a bad thing as she felt it was more realistic. The Curious gave a softer sound, but something was lost and the sound seemed more “manufactured” or “over engineered” and certainly not as detailed.

I have to agree as head to head this was what I was hearing, however, I still like the Curious Cable as I think if you have a bright &/or already quite detailed digital system, it does add some much needed warmth to things (my preference) and as such, the Curious cable isn’t going anywhere as it works well in my Aurelic Aries Mini > REGEN > PS Audio DAC > Primare PRE30 > W4S ST 500 system.

In summary, if you have a hankering for hearing everything from your digital files (possibly as the artist had intended) and have a system that’s not too bright, check out the Konvertible lite USB cables, locally made in Adelaide from a lovely chap called Michael.

Cheers all

Matthew

front view.jpg

Side view.jpg

with tv.JPG

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

Terms like "studio sound", "too much detail", "almost" distracting, etc., come across to me as sound too much on the analytical side of things. Not my cup of tea because I find that it tends to lead to listening fatigue. Sometimes, and I am not in a position to say that this is the case with you, it is possible to "hear things you've never heard before" because they are being unnaturally emphasized and calling too much attention to themselves, rather than blending in as they should. "Brassier" may or may not be more natural. It obviously depends on what is playing and what is actually on the original recording. But hey, the only thing that counts is whether you are happier with the sound! :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Hi Allan,

I hear what you're saying & I actually agree; I was just trying to explain the best I could the differences I heard between the x2 USB cables & try to convey them in simple terms.

These could be completely different in other systems & as I said I'm keeping the Curious Cable for another system that is a little too bright at times so the CC warms things up a tad.

Thanks for reading

Matthew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

Thanks for the review Michael [emoji846]

Especially curious about what is being produced in this Land of Oz.

I've been keen to try a Curious for a while now. But another Ozy company will be getting my coin first...

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Hi Camel,

I tried both & ended up having the 5v disconnected as I don't need power into my DAC. I didn't notice that much of a diff with the plug in/out but left it in as this was what Michael suggested.

In terms of how many hours, I've put at least 30 hours on it but I don't know how many Michael has before sending them to me to listen to them.

Cheers

Matthew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk