IGNORED

Audible difference between analog interconnects

The power wires use twisted pair conductors, which should help to keep interference from them a bit lower. I've tried a few power cords, and none I've tried, including some fancy MIT cords, were shielded as far as I recall. So these aren't any different in regard to shielding, and I'm not sure I recall other power cords using twisted pair, so I suppose these could actually be better with regard to causing interference.

My DIY Power cord is twisted pair with shielding. Made a big difference for my SS amp.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I kind of wish I could unsee that.

Hey Don

Our American cousins sure do things differently ? (grin)

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I kind of wish I could unsee that.

Here's someone with more neatly arranged cables...

customergallery4_lg.jpg

I chose to make the *room* look normal and the *cables* look like a bit of a hash instead. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Here's an earlier photo from someone with more neatly arranged cables. (Another Sydney CA member)

0rZ0HN.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I'd be happy to know more about the tests you're referring to, with particular attention to (1) the test procedures, and (2) those that would be applicable to audio equipment or accessory comparisons. While for example significant frequency differences might be expected to be detectable with ABX testing, one would ordinarily not expect one DAC or amp or cable to send along G-G-G-Eb for the first four notes of Beethoven's Fifth, and another to send along F-F-F-C#. (Differences in overall frequency response are another matter.)

Please feel free to respond here or by PM.

Phillips Golden Ear Test. It's available online and totally 100% blind. Comb filtering, distortion, stereo imaging etc....

https://www.goldenears.philips.com

Phillips Golden Ear Test. It's available online and totally 100% blind. Comb filtering, distortion, stereo imaging etc....

https://www.goldenears.philips.com

I've gone through part of it (with cheap headphones connected to iMac) and found it quite challenging.

Interesting, though, and quite educational.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

They don't "outperform" any other cable that is correctly designed. Main issue is that you don't have to spend more that about $2 a foot for any cable to get one that will deliver a totally transparent signal from A to B.

There are difference in some cables, some are poorly designed and degrade the signal

(Amusement) One would need superconducting cable to make that statement objectively true, and even then the sound might be subjectively cold over those cables. ;)

Seriously though, wire isn't always just wire. And cables do sometimes make a differnce in the sound. You sound like you maybe are just trying to ignore those observations. Whatever the reasons and explanations, no real scientist starts off denying observations like that.

Try to falsify the conclusions from those observations, yes. However, the prime advocate of ABX testing has rather predjudiced the entire community against him. Mostly with bad attitude, and a total resistance to the idea he might in any way be wrong.

Please do try to avoid that attitude.

Gordon Rankin, a man who has designed some of the best DACs in the world, measured the hell out some USB cables- because the darn things sounded different when attached to a DAC. Was unable to measure any difference with his equipment that would account for why they sound different. However, they did sound different, and still do to this day. That man knows what he is talking about with USB, and he had no doubts that he was hearing a difference. (You can find those postings here on CA...)

Now I will grant you, there are plenty of snake oil fueled flights of fancy around the subject, but that does not by any means prove that all the observations, or even most of them, are inaccurate.

Further, most folks are not interested in furthering science, they are interested in improving the sound of their systems. In a case like that, the results are obviously subjective - and can not be falsified. (i.e. They are inherently untestable.)

In the cases like Alex's claim however, that is unfortunately not true. Th resilts are very testable and do not bear out his conclusions. Also unfortunate, he won't assist in finding out what he really heard, which was not a difference in identical digital files played back from the same media on the same system. (Note the qualifications - it is easily proved that identical files sound different on different systms, and that they can sound different when played back from different media, or with different power supplies on the playback system, or... You see where that goes.)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Gordon Rankin, a man who has designed some of the best DACs in the world, measured the hell out some USB cables- because the darn things sounded different when attached to a DAC.

An John Siau of Benchmark and the Engineer(s?) at Schitt totally disagree with him.

Are they some how 2nd rate engineers?

An John Siau of Benchmark and the Engineer(s?) at Schitt totally disagree with him.

I don't think the engineers at Schiit have made their positions completely clear on that, beyond some reasonably humorous marketing for their low cost line of analog and digital cables. Back when Schiit's DAC designer Mike Moffat was a principal at Theta, they brought out their Laser Linque, saying it clearly sounded better than the SPDIF coaxial and optical cables available at the time. Also, back then (Timebase Linque Conditioner) and now (Wyrd), he's been a proponent of connecting digital cables to Regen-like reclocking/conditioning boxes.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I don't think the engineers at Schiit have made their positions completely clear on that, beyond some reasonably humorous marketing for their low cost line of analog and digital cables. Back when Schiit's DAC designer Mike Moffat was a principal at Theta, they brought out their Laser Linque, saying it clearly sounded better than the SPDIF coaxial and optical cables available at the time. Also, back then (Timebase Linque Conditioner) and now (Wyrd), he's been a proponent of connecting digital cables to Regen-like reclocking/conditioning boxes.

And all it does is leaves us back at the bias controlled testing.

I don't think the engineers at Schiit have made their positions completely clear on that, beyond some reasonably humorous marketing for their low cost line of analog and digital cables.

Other than linking directly to a USB cable that costs a few bucks at monoprice?

Other than linking directly to a USB cable that costs a few bucks at monoprice?

I'm sure they wouldn't be too torn up if you got a Wyrd to go with that, for example if the Adapticlock on one of their DACs showed the USB input was lousy quality.

Take a semi-"objectivist" view about something you don't make much if any revenue from (cables), thus building up cred with one segment of the market, while Mike cracks wise at objectivists in his Head-Fi thread, thus building up cred with another segment. It's called "marketing." :)

Here's an earlier photo from someone with more neatly arranged cables. (Another Sydney CA member)

Nice system but it breaks a golden rule. Your speakers should never be larger than your video screen. ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Jon Siau (of Benchmark) markets a competing DAC that is very good. I have trouble separating his marketing from his science though. He complained, loudly and with great certainty that DSD was useless too, but the Benchmark 2 does DSD. And does it very well. (shrug)

Besides, I have never seen John Siau directly dispute that with Gordon Rankin. Perhaps you have a link?

As for Schiit - well Mike Morrow markets some of the best reviewed cables around, including analog interconnects. Some versions get quite expensive. I seriously doubt he would do that if he did not believe they sounded better. He is another of the "good guys" in the audio world.

http://morrowaudio.com/audiophile-and-home-theater/interconnects/elite-grand-reference

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

As for Schiit - well Mike Morrow markets some of the best reviewed cables around, including analog interconnects. Some versions get quite expensive. I seriously doubt he would do that if he did not believe they sounded better. He is another of the "good guys" in the audio world.

Elite Grand Reference Interconnects (RCA & XLR Available)

-Paul

Schiit = Mike Moffat

Mike Morrow = No Schiit

Jon Siau (of Benchmark) markets a competing DAC that is very good. I have trouble separating his marketing from his science though. He complained, loudly and with great certainty that DSD was useless too, but the Benchmark 2 does DSD. And does it very well. (shrug)

Besides, I have never seen John Siau directly dispute that with Gordon Rankin. Perhaps you have a link?

Elite Grand Reference Interconnects (RCA & XLR Available)

-Paul

It would be a very poor business decision for John not to offer DSD in his class A+ rated DAC if the market continues to demand it. Even if he does not agree with the claims of some in the audiophile community.

I don't believe Moffit will hold out forever either if the market continues to call for DSD. I do applaud him for standing by his believes and the scientific measurements against DSD.

$3k for a set of Morrows interconnects is just insane. You can put together a very nice complete stereo for that. Gene DellaSala B.S.E.E., HAA & ISF Certified

<span class="description">

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Benchmark was one of the first, if not the first, asynchronous sample rate conversion (ASRC) DACs on the market. Benchmark advertised ASRC as conferring "complete" immunity to jitter, and I still am told by people who either recall this or got it second hand from Benchmark's advertising that a DAC that isn't completely immune to jitter isn't doing its job.

A while later, Gordon Rankin popularized asynchronous USB input (not the same as ASRC) with his Streamlength firmware. This minimized jitter even further than ASRC. Benchmark's new DAC, the DAC2, uses asynchronous input for USB, but Benchmark still markets its version of ASRC, now given the name "UltraLock2," as providing complete jitter immunity to its DAC.

So Benchmark has its marketing cake and eats it, too, advertising its version of ASRC as conferring complete jitter immunity lacking in any other DAC (and thus making fancy USB cables unnecessary), while quietly adopting the innovative asynchronous USB input that is widely considered superior to ASRC.

And that somehow makes him less of an engineer?

Folks these days market to segments, and do so very effectively, including many companies whose design engineers I've long admired. "Objectivists" are such a segment, and so are "subjectivists."

Besides the Benchmark story that I've described above, one of my favorite examples of marketing to the objectivist segment is the ODAC, or "Objective DAC," designed by NwAvGuy. One widely held position among many objectivist-leaning folks is that subjectivists wildly exaggerate the importance of jitter. JDS Labs, which sells the ODAC, used to market it as not using any particular anti-jitter measures like ASRC or asynchronous USB input, just achieving inaudibly low jitter (though not a particularly low measured number - unnecessary) through well-spec'ed parts. In their rush to market to the hard-nosed objectivist, they missed the fact that the ESS chip in the ODAC does ASRC internally to achieve jitter rejection. So they were in a rush to disclaim anti-jitter measures the DAC actually had! I don't see this disclaimer any longer on the JDS Labs website, so perhaps someone called it to their attention or they realized it on their own.

So fear not, objectivist-leaning audiophiles of the world. Audio companies know how to talk to you in terms that you'll understand and like. :)

(Same for subjectivists, of course.)