IGNORED

Looking for a Recommendation on a 2TB External Hard Drive

Hi folks,

I currently have a 1TB Oyen Mini Pro that has worked great as a storage device for my music files hooked up to my Mac Mini. I never thought I would run out of space on that drive, but now that I have been ripping my vinyl collection to high res files, it has filled up pretty quickly. I have read on this forum that the Oyen 2TB does not receive the same high marks as the 1TB version, so I would like to know a highly recommended 2TB external hard drive that is quiet and reliable. I'm not very computer savvy,so the NAS option feels way over my head. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi folks,

I currently have a 1TB Oyen Mini Pro that has worked great as a storage device for my music files hooked up to my Mac Mini. I never thought I would run out of space on that drive, but now that I have been ripping my vinyl collection to high res files, it has filled up pretty quickly. I have read on this forum that the Oyen 2TB does not receive the same high marks as the 1TB version, so I would like to know a highly recommended 2TB external hard drive that is quiet and reliable. I'm not very computer savvy,so the NAS option feels way over my head. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

The "go to" drives most often tend to be Seagate, Western Digital and LaCie. Everyone has different experiences. I've tended to gravitate to Seagate, 4TB, which cost

just over 100 bucks. I have 3 or 4 in service now, they work great, last a long time ( except when I drop them ) - and are solid both for playback and storage/backup.

I agree, for external, any hard drive will work (speed is not a factor), get the cheapest and biggest. I favor buying the drives separate from the enclosure for versatility, access and storage.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Thanks everyone for your responses! Much appreciated. I visited MicroCenter today and spent a good bit of time with one of their employees understanding a NAS setup. After having it broken down for me, it might not be as intimidating a setup as I initially thought it was. I ended up purchasing a QNAP TS-231 with 2 x 3TB WD Red drives. I will let you guys know how it works out. Wish me luck!

Good luck, great decision! Be patient with yourself, setup bumps not unusual, but plenty of smarties here who helped me out and will do the same for you.

Just remember that RAID shouldn't be your only backup. Use your old portable drive for that for now and get a bigger one later for backup. Ideally keep it somewhere other than home.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I use a Synology 412+, and I back that up to a WD 2TB external drive for now until I need more capacity. I also have a WD 2 TB drive that holds my music at my office. Excellent reliability and performance all around. Can't go wrong (says he who is a sample of one).

JJinPDX

I'm very happy with my Synology NAS. It's a two-bay model (214+) with two mirrored 4TB WD Red drives in it. I back it up weekly to another 4TB Red drive that I keep offsite.

I use one of these "toasters" for the backups:

Voyager by NewerTech - Hard Drive Dock for 3.5" and 2.5" SATA Devices

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Everyone has there fav, mine are Western Digital Black drives in any external USB enclosure. I have two that I back up music files to. I had one external enclosure failure and zero drive failures over 15 years.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I was going to say Seagate and Western Digital, but a NAS is a much better idea, good luck indeed.

For years I've used external HDDs from multiple companies, but once I switched over to a Synology NAS there is no going back.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

With similar questions, I found it very helpful to use the "NAS Product Selector" on Synology.com. It's easy to line the models up and compare features side by side. For me, the "+" line had features that were important to me that the "Play" & "Slim" lines lacked.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

With similar questions, I found it very helpful to use the "NAS Product Selector" on Synology.com. It's easy to line the models up and compare features side by side. For me, the "+" line had features that were important to me that the "Play" & "Slim" lines lacked.

Sbank, do you use your 415+ solely for audio playback or does it handle other functions for you?

95% audio playback only. I downloaded Minimserver and Bubble UPnP Server onto the Synology along with music, that's all. That's the main reason I invested in it. I went with 2 WD Red 4TB drives setup as RAID 1. Currently have just under 3TB music library, and for backups using my Lacie 3TB HDD (which was previously my main library when connected locally to my MacMini). Once I exceed 3TB total I can either get an additional external USB3 drive for part of the backup or get additional Red drive and backup to the spare slot.

I have a Synology 412+ and use it for both music and computer backups. In the near future I'll be trying to do more with it, but for what it's doing, I couldn't be happier. I do back it up to a USB WD external drive. I'm very pleased there, as well.

JJinPDX

Hi Folks, My Synology 415+ arrived today! I have installed 3 x 4TB Western Digital Reds in the NAS. The installation was pretty painless thus far. I still need to find out how to set up the RAID. Also, What apps should I download from the package center to playback my music files? There are a lot of options. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Most here have recommended choosing RAID 1 over Synology's "Hybrid Raid". Their website has a table with all the different RAID definitions and detailed instructions. It's just a few clicks to setup.

You will probably want to install Minimserver and BubbleUPnP Server. One of them requires Java to be installed first. Also if using Minimserver you want to install Minimwatch on your computer for easy control of Minimserver.

MinimServer is highly recommended. BubbleUPnP Server too.

Between MinimServer + BubbleUPnP Server + BubbleUPnP Control Point I get pretty much everything done for streaming and transcoding.

I also use Audio Station a lot, especially adding internet radio streaming services.

Chromecast Audio is good in this regard too... but for those streams without Android apps and custom radio stations, Synology Audio Station is a huge plus. On top you can "push" music to any UPnP and Airplay renderer, so wireless music streaming is amazingly simple with Audio Station.

Movies too though I'd leave the transcoding (if any) to a HTPC and something like Plex.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Thanks for the information! I'm trying to download Java SE 8, but I get an error message stating that the name has to be the same as the link. My Synology is prompting for me to download Java SE7 which is no longer the latest version. I wish they had a help line!

So download Java then do a check for updates after install.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick update after having the Synology DS415+ installed in my home for a couple of weeks. It is working great with the playback of my music through the use of the Roon software. With all of my music, home videos, family photos, movies and music videos uploaded to the NAS, I am only at 10 percent use! I have one additional question for the members here... What is the best way to playback my concert dvd's and blurays through my stereo system. I uploaded them to the DS415+ as MKV files using the Make MKV software. I'm not sure how to get my Wavelength Cosecant Dac and Mac Mini to recognize these files. Thanks everyone for the great advice and answers surrounding my NAS journey! I am so glad that I went this route instead of buying another external hard drive.

Here's a quick update after having the Synology DS415+ installed in my home for a couple of weeks. It is working great with the playback of my music through the use of the Roon software. With all of my music, home videos, family photos, movies and music videos uploaded to the NAS, I am only at 10 percent use! I have one additional question for the members here... What is the best way to playback my concert dvd's and blurays through my stereo system. I uploaded them to the DS415+ as MKV files using the Make MKV software. I'm not sure how to get my Wavelength Cosecant Dac and Mac Mini to recognize these files. Thanks everyone for the great advice and answers surrounding my NAS journey! I am so glad that I went this route instead of buying another external hard drive.

VLC is your best bet, and it's free. I've used it on my Mac mini to play MKV encoded movies with sound output to external DAC. It includes lip-sync control, in case that's necessary with your setup.

VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!