IGNORED

Trading up my Preamp?

That was the exact reason for my post. Without a demo, its just a coin toss. I would hold off until after the move. There's a couple of good placed in CO. The best one is Audio Alternative in Fort Collins. Its a great store, and I've been there myself and bought stuff from him. You can also call The Cable Company and see what they can send you for demo. They're very good to deal with as well.

OK I just talked to the owner of Audio Alternative in Fort Collins and he said that my B&K is a very good preamp until I can afford at least 1000,00 for another, He didn't have anything good to say about passive's. So I guess I'll hold on to my B&K till I get enough Graphic Design freelance jobs. Thank you very much for the tip. BTW The Cable Company is a pretty generic name can't find that exact name in Colorado.

OK I just talked to the owner of Audio Alternative in Fort Collins and he said that my B&K is a very good preamp until I can afford at least 1000,00 for another, He didn't have anything good to say about passive's. So I guess I'll hold on to my B&K till I get enough Graphic Design freelance jobs. Thank you very much for the tip. BTW The Cable Company is a pretty generic name can't find that exact name in Colorado.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The Cable Company (thecableco.com), is a company that specializes in lending out components and accessories for demo. There's no other company quite like them. I've been dealing with them since the mid 90's and they have one of the best reputations in the industry.

As for Audio Alternative, the only thing I would say is that his reputation is also great, but keep in mind that his opinion is his. There's no one more qualified to select a component for your system than you. You'll never find 2 audiophiles that agree on everything, no matter how much they know. Use our comments to get some ideas, but make the final decision yourself. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with everyone, and choosing your own path.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The Cable Company (thecableco.com), is a company that specializes in lending out components and accessories for demo. There's no other company quite like them. I've been dealing with them since the mid 90's and they have one of the best reputations in the industry.

As for Audio Alternative, the only thing I would say is that his reputation is also great, but keep in mind that his opinion is his. There's no one more qualified to select a component for your system than you. You'll never find 2 audiophiles that agree on everything, no matter how much they know. Use our comments to get some ideas, but make the final decision yourself. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with everyone, and choosing your own path.

Well Said, Thank You, for an old geezer at 68 I believe I have a good ear. I have a couple CD's well not CD's any more but aiff's on a HD that are harsh and once that harshness is lessened I feel I'm making progress. I'm a guitar player and Photographer and the hardest thing I try to teach new Photographers (not to use a smart phone as a camera;) but how to trash images that are in focus, cropped good, good color but don't evoke an emotion, unless it's personnel images of family and the same with music. I'll give thecableco.com a call tomorrow. Thanks

I was kind of wondering why you wanted to get rid of it, given your budget. :-)

I was kind of wondering why you wanted to get rid of it, given your budget. :-)

Well I thought I could get something a bit better but found out before B&K went under out of business, they were making some decent products for the price. So I was told by this one business in Colorado Audio Alternative in Fort Collins that until I'm able to spend at least 1000 I won't get anything better. So I'll pray for some graphic design work and save up.

Well I thought I could get something a bit better but found out before B&K went under out of business, they were making some decent products for the price. So I was told by this one business in Colorado Audio Alternative in Fort Collins that until I'm able to spend at least 1000 I won't get anything better. So I'll pray for some graphic design work and save up.

I think he's probably right. Save up some money and pay the store a visit when you get there.

Jamesroy,

Hang on, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water!

For starters, there are many manufacturers that no longer sell through dealers, selling direct only and most (including Schiit Auido, who make the Sys $49 passive preamp) offer 30 day in-home trials. These companies usually charge a small restocking fee if you return the gear, but they are betting that you won't want to.

The Cable Company (of New Hope, PA) is an option but their biz model is built on the idea "try these suggested 3 brands of interconnect, keep the one that's best in your system and return the other two"; a strategy that makes perfect sense for stuff like cables that all look similar and sound different or tweak accessories and headphones. For larger and more expensive gear like preamps, I'd be careful to understand the fees associated with demo/returns and shipping costs. I think it's not inexpensive.

The other important point is that both the Colorado local dealer and the Cable Co. only offer a few brands of gear. The Cable Company doesn't sell a single preamp between $500-$2000.

If you live in a remote area, the best way not to get burned is to buy used gear that's already depreciated knowing that you can usually resell it for almost exactly what you pay for it. Then you can consider your ownership period as a long in-home, unpressured demo; the best kind. You aren't limited to any brand. With all the constant changing going on with so many hobbyists there is always tons of great gear available ranging from store demos w/warranty, one year old gear at 50-60% of MSRP, to beater vintage gear that need some parts, etc. Audiogon is the king of used gear ads especially in North America, but hifishark is full of global ad links and even stodgy old audioasylum has a trader section that gets a decent number of preamp ads. Yeah, there are perils to buying used, but with a little research, common sense and a HEALTHY dose of skepticism you can find a much better sounding preamp at a reasonable cost without much risk if it doesn't float your boat.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

"The other important point is that both the Colorado local dealer and the Cable Co. only offer a few brands of gear. The Cable Company doesn't sell a single preamp between $500-$2000."

That's not true. Here's a list of brands right from Cable Companies web site. They're one of the largest high end dealers in the US.

Acapella, Accuphase, AirTight, Aktimate, Aqvox, ASR, Arcam, Ayon, BAT, Bel Canto, Bellari, Benchmark, Benz-Micro, Bergmann, Berkeley Audio Designs, Cavalli Audio, Clearaudio, Denon, EAR, Einstein, EPOS, Esoteric, Fanfare FM, Fosgate, Grado, Harmonic Resolution Systems "HRS", Hyperion, Lamm, Lindemann, Lyra, M2Tech, Merlin, Naim, NuForce, PS Audio, Rega, Reference 3a, Rogue, Sennheiser, Shelter, Soundsmith, Sutherland Engineering, TAD, Ultrasone, VPI, Wadia, Ypsilon, and many more.

I can find plenty of options between $500 - $2000 in that list. As for Audio Alternative, I haven't been to his store in a few years, but the last time I was in there, he had plenty of inventory on display. CO doesn't have the same demand for the very expensive stuff that sells in other parts of the country. Most of his products are entry to mid level high end.

"

That's not true. Here's a list of brands right from Cable Companies web site. They're one of the largest high end dealers in the US.

Acapella, Accuphase, AirTight, Aktimate, Aqvox, ASR, Arcam, Ayon, BAT, Bel Canto, Bellari, Benchmark, Benz-Micro, Bergmann, Berkeley Audio Designs, Cavalli Audio, Clearaudio, Denon, EAR, Einstein, EPOS, Esoteric, Fanfare FM, Fosgate, Grado, Harmonic Resolution Systems "HRS", Hyperion, Lamm, Lindemann, Lyra, M2Tech, Merlin, Naim, NuForce, PS Audio, Rega, Reference 3a, Rogue, Sennheiser, Shelter, Soundsmith, Sutherland Engineering, TAD, Ultrasone, VPI, Wadia, Ypsilon, and many more.

It's funny, I was on their site this morning, clicked on preamps from menu/list on the left side of the page and it gave a listing of about 20 preamps and prices, none in the range I mentioned. Maybe that is only what's in stock or something.

Do you know what they'd charge to let you demo 3 preamps and return two of them? Got a feeling it's not negligible nor encouraged, which would lead back to my original point about the advantages of used gear. No harm directed at either company specifically, but if you don't see optimal selection, widen your field of vision.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

It's funny, I was on their site this morning, clicked on preamps from menu/list on the left side of the page and it gave a listing of about 20 preamps and prices, none in the range I mentioned. Maybe that is only what's in stock or something.

Do you know what they'd charge to let you demo 3 preamps and return two of them? Got a feeling it's not negligible nor encouraged, which would lead back to my original point about the advantages of used gear. No harm directed at either company specifically, but if you don't see optimal selection, widen your field of vision.

If you look for components on Cable Companies web site, it should bring you to ultrasystems.com. Its all one place, but I think they came up with Ultra Systems because with a name like Cable Company, people don't realize they also sell components.

The demo program works like this. They charge you 5% of whatever equipment you demo sells for, plus shipping. Its actual shipping costs, no handling fees or anything. You can keep the stuff for about 2 weeks, and then you ship it back and pay the return shipping. At that point, you can just leave everything if you decide to not buy, and you're only out the 5% and shipping. But no one really does it that way. They won't refund the shipping, but the 5% can be applied towards anything they sell. They don't want the 5%. They just want to become a regular customer. As audiophiles, we always need something. If you decide to get a preamp somewhere else, you'll still need cables and accessories, and just put the 5% into something else. So, in the end, you only loose the shipping costs.

If you decide to buy something, they don't expect you to keep the demo. You get a new piece. And they've always let me keep the demo unit until I get my new one. I've been using these guys since the mid 90's and just can't say enough good about them. I can only think of 1 or 2 other stores that have a reputation like Cable Co.