IGNORED

Volumio - do I need it ??

Oystein

I have read some about Volumio and as the site makes it look like the next best thing I wonder if it gives any benefits for me.

If I understand correct it is using MPD so I guess Volumio is a layer on top of MPD like ncmpc which I use now.

My control of music is over the iOS MPaD App.

Runs stable as an atomic clock so no issues or desires left.

Volumio can also be controller by MPaD so what does Volumio bring me extra ?

The only time I really need to change anything in my BeagleBone Black I use a SSH program.

Or am I missing something Obvious ?? Or maybe not so obvious ;-)

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

Looks geeky to me.

Quote from the forum

"My research suggests that if I swap out the bcm-2835.ko file in /lib/modules/3.18.5-v7+/kernel/sound/arm for another one, it should work, however, I can't just copy over the one from the kernel I made on Jessie, because that's Kernel 4.1.18. And I don't want to compile a whole 'nother kernel just to make a change in 3 lines of code!"

If that floats your boat, all yours :)

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Even it this is true ... although I do not understand any of it .. it still does not answer my question ;-)

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

I have read some about Volumio and as the site makes it look like the next best thing I wonder if it gives any benefits for me.

If I understand correct it is using MPD so I guess Volumio is a layer on top of MPD like ncmpc which I use now.

My control of music is over the iOS MPaD App.

Runs stable as an atomic clock so no issues or desires left.

Volumio can also be controller by MPaD so what does Volumio bring me extra ?

The only time I really need to change anything in my BeagleBone Black I use a SSH program.

Or am I missing something Obvious ?? Or maybe not so obvious ;-)

If you already have MPD running fine on your BeageBone Black, then you probably don't need Volumio. I have used Volumio on both my BeagleBone Blacks and Raspberry Pi2s, and it works fine. It has a web gui, which is quite nice but missing cover art. I never used the web UI much because like you I use apps like MPaD on an iPad, MPod on an iPod Touch and MuPeace on my android phone.

Volumio uses nginx as a web server, and I made it handle cover art requests by adding some sym links in /var/www. You haven't said how you handle cover art on the BeagleBone - I used lighttpd when I created my own system and that worked fine.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Thanks for your input :-)

You haven't said how you handle cover art on the BeagleBone - I used lighttpd when I created my own system and that worked fine.

MPad takes care of the cover art.

It fetches it directly from my NAS and is stored in my iOS device so there is no resources needed for this from the BeagleBone.

I also do not need the web GUI so it is clear I can skip Volumio for my needs.

Case closed ;-)

Since you have the NAD as your preamp, its best to not use any software volume controls. Set them all at 100% and use the NAD. If you only have one source, you may want to try removing the NAD completely and plug directly into your amp. Each system is different, but it will most likely be a big step up in sound quality.

I still need the NAD as I also use my stereo for watching TV.

The speakers in the TV are disabled and use the line/headphones out into the NAD pre.