IGNORED

New Bryston BDP-Pi Server

Hi Guys - Just received this from James Tanner of Bryston. The new Bryston Pi is a server based on the Raspberry Pi and HiFi Berry board. Sounds very similar to this - Computer Audiophile - Geek Speak: Raspberry Pi HiFi Is Here

Anyway, here are the details:

Little Box Big Sound

Built upon the Raspberry Pi and HifiBerry platform, the new BDP-π is faster and morecapable than our classic BDP-1 yet fits in a chassis 1/3rd as wide as our full size

gear and costs less than half of a flagship BDP-2.

Connect

Virtually any DAC can be connected via the on-board S/PDIF and Toslink connectors.Also, get ultra high resolution by connecting a USB DAC. You can even connect audiothrough HDMI.

Your Music

Connect an external USB drive containing your music library, stream your favoriteinternet radio stations, and enjoy lossless TIDAL streaming all on the BDP-π!

bryston-pi.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Wow! This leaves very little stone's unturned. I remain sceptical but impressed that this could sound that good.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

I use the same combo I.e. raspberry pi with a hifiberry digi + board, and my god it sounds just lovely

Bryston would add a very hefty powe supply, good cbasis, custom distro which would make it a killer produxt

If that is what they are doing, then, yes, it will be a product worth paying something for.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Could be good. I'd like to get a hefty power supply for mine. Any thoughts?

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

Could be good. I'd like to get a hefty power supply for mine. Any thoughts?

I have been experimenting with the same setup and it is actually pretty good. The way to seriously improve it is the power supply. You can power the Digi+ and the PI-2 directly by soldering a 2 pin header on the Digi+ P3. Use a good 5V linear power supply.

[video=youtube;ps-X4ipA_fY]

Thanks bobsherman for explaining it with videsoI also do same , powering the pi off the hifiberry card

I am not using linear power supply as I don't get one in my country. I am looking at sbooster and will order it once I have someone visiting from USA.

Another option is IFI ipower. Its not linear but company claims very less noise. No actual user review on the internet

Right now using a battery bank, yes a battery bank to charge a mobile to power up the pi via the hifiberry card.

Sound is very clean so not sure how much improvement I can get with using a linear power supply

If you have a battery bank lying around and ready to sacrifice a USB cable (you will have to remove micro USB connector and then solder to hifiberry card), then maybe you can do a comparison between linear power supply and battery bank

Thanks

I moved my answer here. probably better to keep it in the right thread. Maybe Chris can move my post also.

Computer Audiophile - Geek Speak: Raspberry Pi HiFi Is Here

Regards

Bob

Thanks bobsherman for explaining it with videsoI also do same , powering the pi off the hifiberry card

I am not using linear power supply as I don't get one in my country. I am looking at sbooster and will order it once I have someone visiting from USA.

Another option is IFI ipower. Its not linear but company claims very less noise. No actual user review on the internet

Right now using a battery bank, yes a battery bank to charge a mobile to power up the pi via the hifiberry card.

Sound is very clean so not sure how much improvement I can get with using a linear power supply

If you have a battery bank lying around and ready to sacrifice a USB cable (you will have to remove micro USB connector and then solder to hifiberry card), then maybe you can do a comparison between linear power supply and battery bank

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Are they using an off the shelf Raspberry Pi or a Pi Computer Module?

Found the answer it's a Pi 2

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Here is a description of the Bryston Pi's internal board.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24819[/ATTACH]

That actually looks pretty nice. From what they are saying, it will have an entry-level price in their line. I'm guessing they would still be using a matching transformer, possibly mounted offboard. When the Digi+ is properly powered it really does sound nice, so it looks like they made a pretty good choice.

Chris, do you think you will be getting one to review? And also I had sent you a PM, I was wondering if you had gotten it, or possibly missed it?

Regards

Bob

That actually looks pretty nice. From what they are saying, it will have an entry-level price in their line. I'm guessing they would still be using a matching transformer, possibly mounted offboard. When the Digi+ is properly powered it really does sound nice, so it looks like they made a pretty good choice.

Chris, do you think you will be getting one to review? And also I had sent you a PM, I was wondering if you had gotten it, or possibly missed it?

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob - I'll look into the Bryston Pi a bit further as a possible review subject. I'll circle back into my PM inbox as well :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Have they announced the price yet?

With their hinting at price range I would expect between $1200-1500 which is way too high imho. I actually think price wise they may have made a mistake in announcing this is based on a $35 Raspberry Pi. Even with a 10x markup we should be looking at $350 not $1500

With their hinting at price range I would expect between $1200-1500 which is way too high imho. I actually think price wise they may have made a mistake in announcing this is based on a $35 Raspberry Pi. Even with a 10x markup we should be looking at $350 not $1500

I think it's really cool Bryston is using a Pi. The company will have some hurdles to get over with respect to MSRP because the Pi's price is available to the general public. This, plus the fact that many people will mistakenly assume the price of the Bryston Pi should be a multiple of only the price of the Pi. The Pi board is probably a small fraction of the total cost of the Bryston component considering the nice chassis and the Bryston built power supply and continued support for the life of the product and beyond. I know Bryston has an outstanding warranty for its products. This comes at a price that isn't included in the price of the $35 Pi board.

• 2 weeks later...

Daft question ... On the original information / flier posted ... whats the square "window" on the left hand side? A display?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 months later...
I will check it out at AXPONA.

Is there any additional news on this unit? There is nothing listed on Bryston's website. Cheers!

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Thanks. I see it does not support DSD. I think that this will have limited utility for people these days, it is hard not have at least a few DSD recordings.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond