IGNORED

Optical drive, for ripping

I need to re-rip my CD collection, for the 3rd time. However the first two times took their toll on my drive. It is a DVD reader.

However when I look at what is available I mostly see blu ray drives. To be honest I have no idea if a blu ray drive can be used to rip music CDs using dBpoweramp.

So what do you advice? Buy the cheapest DVD reader/writer or?

[br]

I use an LG Blu-Ray drive and XLD to rip CDs. I get an accurate rip every time as long as the CD is in good shape.

I have bought a few used CDs that had visible scratches. They don't always return an accurate rip, but there are rarely any audible flaws.

+1

I also use an LG GGW H20L Blu Ray writer for ripping using E.A.C. This writer was designed by Alfe who has posted several helpful tutorials in this forum.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Ripping is hard on the drive so there's no need to buy anything expensive. If you spend extra for a blu ray drive, you're probably not paying for better quality, just the format. I get Asus drives from Tiger Direct for about $25 each. Get a few of those and swap them out as they break. Or is you have extra bays and enough connections on you MB fill up empty drive bays.

Absolute workhorse; ripped several thousand using XLD.

+1

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

OMC is not available in the Netherlands as far as I can tell.

list of optical drives

You can get the drive directly from OWC in the U.S.:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3UBDRW16/

It also appears to be available from their reseller in Belgium:

Mercury Pro USB3 16X Blu-Ray Burner + DVD Burner - €165,00 - MacUpgrade OWC - NewerTech Shop

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

OMC is not available in the Netherlands as far as I can tell.

list of optical drives

There's no real advantage going with OMC. They don't make the drive itself, just the cases. The drive inside the box will be typical mass market (LG, Asus, Pioneer, Samsung, etc...). The only advantage to spending that kind of money on a drive is if you want the case. But you can probably an empty case and a drive for less money overall.

If you spend extra for a blu ray drive, you're probably not paying for better quality, just the format.

Given the need for far greater precision in the Optical block of a Blu Ray writer, due to the much smaller lands and pits of a BR disc, and the precision focussing required, that may not necessarily be correct. I believe that there may also be improved isolation from vibration needed to help achieve this precision.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Given the need for far greater precision in the Optical block of a Blu Ray writer, due to the much smaller lands and pits of a BR disc, and the precision focussing required, that may not necessarily be correct. I believe that there may also be improved isolation from vibration needed to help achieve this precision.

If a file has been verified as accurate by AccurateRip, does that mean that the ripping was precise?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

For burning discs that's quite possibly relevant. For ripping, not so much. An accurate rip is accurate whatever drive it was done on.

That's good to know.

I've randomly verified CDs for a few days and they all said All tracks accurately ripped.

It means that iTunes and the 2011 iMac did a good job.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

For burning discs that's quite possibly relevant. For ripping, not so much. An accurate rip is accurate whatever drive it was done on.

Yet many of us know that various CD players with properly working error correction can sound very different when used as a Transport to export identical Binary Data to an external DAC, and that's with REAL TIME play, not rotating a flimsy piece of poly carbonate around at up to 40 x normal speed !

Several pieces of anecdotal evidence, slipped to me in private, convince me that bad karma from a power supply can contaminate a rip, even if there is no way to physically measure it. This can lead to impotence, incontinence, and intense bouts of paranoia.

Several pieces of anecdotal evidence, slipped to me in private, convince me that bad karma from a power supply can contaminate a rip, even if there is no way to physically measure it. This can lead to impotence, incontinence, and intense bouts of paranoia.

I just fell of my chair. Thanks for keeping the mood light Bill.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This can lead to impotence, incontinence, and intense bouts of paranoia.

Is that why you have dogs instead of more children ? (grin)

A dog can also help protect you from all those stalkers !

Yet many of us know that various CD players with properly working error correction can sound very different when used as a Transport to export identical Binary Data to an external DAC, and that's with REAL TIME play, not rotating a flimsy piece of poly carbonate around at up to 40 x normal speed !

Except ripping - whether at 1x or 40x speed - doesn't make use of error correction in the way you're referring to when you write about CD playback. An accurate rip is confirmed by referencing many other rips in a database. So it's irrelevant whether or not the drive even used error correction during ripping. All that factors in to accurate ripping is the final result on the hard drive that the CD is ripped to.

But of course you knew that already.

I need to re-rip my CD collection, for the 3rd time. However the first two times took their toll on my drive. It is a DVD reader.

However when I look at what is available I mostly see blu ray drives. To be honest I have no idea if a blu ray drive can be used to rip music CDs using dBpoweramp.

So what do you advice? Buy the cheapest DVD reader/writer or?

The last time I ripped all my CDs, DVDs and Blu Rays I used - Nimbie USB Plus - Product Review - mine was the NB21-BR. I re-ripped as I found errors in some of my CDs which were originally ripped before accuraterip was available.

I ripped about 5500 CDs, 800 DVDs and 200 Blu Rays - all seems to be working fine still... I used the dBPoweramp batch ripper for the CDs... much less painful that using a drive inside a PC. Unfortunately if you use batch ripper you need to pay for the metadata (as you are classed as a professional user) but it costs pennies per CD.

If you have any further questions about using one of these (there are other stackers available as well) then please PM me.

Thanks

Paul

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

I found the list of optical drives posted on DB Poweramp's forums very helpful. The list is pulled from their accuraterip database and shows which drives have returned the most error free rips. Its a good list to pick from vs selecting a drive arbitrarily IMHO.

I found the list of optical drives posted on DB Poweramp's forums very helpful. The list is pulled from their accuraterip database and shows which drives have returned the most error free rips. Its a good list to pick from vs selecting a drive arbitrarily IMHO.

Last time I looked at that list is was full of IDE drives that had been out of production for years. Has the list been updated?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png