IGNORED

Upgrade path

I currently own a Burson Conductor (First version). I never really compared it to any other "hi end" DAC. So, the question is if I want to upgrade, where do I start? (I don't need a preamp function on it) Thanks

VPI Classic II Benz Micro, Emotiva ERC-3, Auralic Vega, Modwright LS100 Pre, Wells Audio Inamorata, GR Research H Frame Sub, TWL, Transparent Audio, WyWire, MIT etc.

I currently own a Burson Conductor (First version). I never really compared it to any other "hi end" DAC. So, the question is if I want to upgrade, where do I start? (I don't need a preamp function on it) Thanks

Oops sorry I need to add that I would be looking on the used market most likely and budget is no more than $2000.

VPI Classic II Benz Micro, Emotiva ERC-3, Auralic Vega, Modwright LS100 Pre, Wells Audio Inamorata, GR Research H Frame Sub, TWL, Transparent Audio, WyWire, MIT etc.

Normally I'd say the used market is the place to look. This is true for amps, pre-amps, and speakers. But for DACs technology is changing rapidly.

To be able to have an opinion about whether upgrading will get you what you want, and what sort of DAC might fit your requirements, as mansr says you should tell us your reasons for wanting to upgrade.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I have the original Burson Conductor myself.

While I have been pretty darn happy with it, I have little to compare it against (Zodiac being the most notable). Thanks to folks like Jud, I dabbled in the murky world of upsampling. It took an Age, but having found settings I like, it's all but impossible to listen without them. So I may well imagine you exploiting this being on this forum, but well worth putting some time into if you haven't already. YMMV...

On that front, I imagine DACs with the just released ESS Pro chip may be even more flexible. When set to its max sampling rate, it should effectively bypass its filters - so you can use software upsampling alone.

But no doubt I'll be corrected on that!

I have been curious to hear a DSD capable DAC for some years now. So when Burson announced the new Conductor V2+ could boogie with DSD (256), temptation has gotten the better of me. Plus, the remote and new opamp sounds appealing too. (That 'clicking' stepped attenuator can be a little annoying.. [emoji53])

Right now, Burson are running an IndieGoGo campaign -

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/showthread.php?t=27763

I'm not with Burson, just a happy customer.

Of course, there are a myriad of other fabulous candidates out there.

If you do sell your Conductor, I hope it finds a good home. Great bit of kit, me thinks.

Happy shopping! [emoji846]

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

I miss not seeing signatures at times here on the CA app. But did check out your page to be reminded of what a nice looking system you have. Admire anyone who can make their own anything - let alone speakers[emoji869]

Care to tell us what musical qualities you're yearning for?

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

What don't I like about my DAC? It's not so much that, as much as I am questioning "what am I missing?" I recently upgraded my preamp after about 20 years and it was such a significant improvement that I asked myself "why did I wait so long?". There seems to be a divided camp on Burson. Some seem to snub it, sounds OK to me but I've never compared it to anything. I like play mostly Jazz and Blues. Very little classical and some rock. (I like rock but most of it isn't recorded so well). If I had to say what I am looking for is more transparency and clarity in the SQ department. I'd like to buy from a company in North America if possible, so I can have support if I need it.

Agree with the above. Either find a dealer who will let you compare your DAC to supposedly better one, or find one or two online from companies that allow home auditions. Then you'll know if you are missing something or not, and if the price of the new DAC represents value to you.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

What don't I like about my DAC? It's not so much that, as much as I am questioning "what am I missing?"

Then you need to find a way to listen to some alternatives and figure out what you like. What sounds better to one person may sound worse to you. If you visit a hifi store, remember that their demo room will not sound the same as your listening room, so it may be a good idea to bring your DAC there and compare it against some other offerings.

Then you need to find a way to listen to some alternatives and figure out what you like. What sounds better to one person may sound worse to you. If you visit a hifi store, remember that their demo room will not sound the same as your listening room, so it may be a good idea to bring your DAC there and compare it against some other offerings.

Will do.

I'm a little excited at trying a new toy. Surely mad to suggest Burson. Apologies.

Living in this backwater, it's not easy to hear good gear.

Visiting Sydney, I popped into a hifi shop downtown I happened to walk by. The young guy was nice enough to humour me with a demo (rare here in Perth..). It was a most underwhelming experience. I had a good chat to the guy who used a pair of Audeze LCD-4s at home... but didn't have any to listen to at the shop (nor anything there to do them justice).

So I really don't have a decent comparison. So curious to get your take on the Conductor. Often, we don't know better until we hear it.

Good luck with the hifi shops. You might also do a call out to local audio folk who might let you try their DAC at home.

Please share your experiences and comparisons. [emoji868]

I'm a little excited at trying a new toy. Surely mad to suggest Burson. Apologies.

Living in this backwater, it's not easy to hear good gear.

Visiting Sydney, I popped into a hifi shop downtown I happened to walk by. The young guy was nice enough to humour me with a demo (rare here in Perth..). It was a most underwhelming experience. I had a good chat to the guy who used a pair of Audeze LCD-4s at home... but didn't have any to listen to at the shop (nor anything there to do them justice).

So I really don't have a decent comparison. So curious to get your take on the Conductor. Often, we don't know better until we hear it.

Good luck with the hifi shops. You might also do a call out to local audio folk who might let you try their DAC at home.

Please share your experiences and comparisons. [emoji868]

Hey mate, I'm fine with the Burson suggestion. It shows me that there is support out there for it. I sometimes hear (no pun intended) negative things about it just because people are not familiar with it in the states. I usually tell people that unless they own one how can they say negatives things about it? usually shuts them up :) Thank you for your input.

Go to your local hifi stores with some of your fav music to listen to different options to help determine if they are upgrades to your ears.

The big problem with this advice is if you study the signatures of folks on this forum who are happy with both their vinyl and digital front ends, they all have one thing in common-they use some sort of streamer and/or USB fixer between the server and the DAC. Most hifi stores don't demo these things so you're unlikely to hear what a DAC can do.

What don't I like about my DAC? It's not so much that, as much as I am questioning "what am I missing?" I recently upgraded my preamp after about 20 years and it was such a significant improvement that I asked myself "why did I wait so long?". There seems to be a divided camp on Burson. Some seem to snub it, sounds OK to me but I've never compared it to anything. I like play mostly Jazz and Blues. Very little classical and some rock. (I like rock but most of it isn't recorded so well). If I had to say what I am looking for is more transparency and clarity in the SQ department. I'd like to buy from a company in North America if possible, so I can have support if I need it.

No one can answer that question for you. If you don't evaluate these products yourself, you chance for success is pretty slim. There's no way around it.

First I'd like to mention that I had the "What am I missing" question for a while. It seemed that I was doing everything right (equipment and setup) but I was missing the energy and drive that I new was out there in other peoples systems.

I went from a Schiit Bifrosd Uber/Gen2 that is a well reviewed DAC, to a PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC and I can't believe what I am hearing. (And feeling)

I'm not suggesting the NuWave, but I am suggesting a better DAC is a big deal in the CA world.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

Thanks for that Jim.

I was feeling a bit of a gift for suggesting you try a red apple having said you didn't care for your green one....

I had a look at Srajan's review of Modwright's own DAC. Well beyond your $2k mark - some $6k, me thinks? Nor does it seem to fit the bill of what you're looking for over the Burson. Srajan thought it leaned the other way entirely.

What qualities did your Modwright preamp bring to the table when compared to the Conductor's pre-output? Was the difference striking? I'm curious - with so little personal references [emoji846]

I've been following the early impressions of a few with the new Conductor V2+ - http://www.head-fi.org/t/798772/new-burson-conductor-v2-and-v2/90

Thanks for that Jim.

I was feeling a bit of a gift for suggesting you try a red apple having said you didn't care for your green one....

I had a look at Srajan's review of Modwright's own DAC. Well beyond your $2k mark - some $6k, me thinks? Nor does it seem to fit the bill of what you're looking for over the Burson. Srajan thought it leaned the other way entirely.

What qualities did your Modwright preamp bring to the table when compared to the Conductor's pre-output? Was the difference striking? I'm curious - with so little personal references [emoji846]

I've been following the early impressions of a few with the new Conductor V2+ - New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+ - Page 7

Odelay, I did not use the Burson Pre out. I did have a big improvement over a Audio Research SP8 which I had considered to be be a good Pre (and it was in it's day). Much more transparency, detail, tone. Better in almost every respect. But thats compared to a 30yr old preamp so......

I went from a Schiit Bifrosd Uber/Gen2 that is a well reviewed DAC, to a PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC and I can't believe what I am hearing. (And feeling)

Not to get OT, but congrats on the Nuwave. I really like how PS Audio and others are using FPGAs which makes updating/upgrading the DAC much easier. I need to check this DAC out since I am in the market too.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thanks for letting me know Jim [emoji106]

First I'd like to mention that I had the "What am I missing" question for a while. It seemed that I was doing everything right (equipment and setup) but I was missing the energy and drive that I new was out there in other peoples systems.

I'm not suggesting the NuWave, but I am suggesting a better DAC is a big deal in the CA world.

I wonder if much of the positive sound from PWD is from being a DSD player with native DSD? I'm reading now with interest: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/minimum-direct-stream-digital-digital-analogue-converter-22812/

I agree with much of this posters' points.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

I think it would be worth trying the little Conductor's preamp... just for giggles.

It might surprise. It might not. On the clarity and transparency front, it would do pretty well, me thinks. It would give you a different presentation - if nothing else.