IGNORED

wtfplay

sligolad

If the best sound quality is your goal then I think we passed crazy several years ago with all the various hardware/software approaches we now have to getting to that end.

In CA today crazy lies in the eye of the beholder!

I heard an modified SD Card player with an LCD screen for navigating to select tracks on a wooden board into a modified Soekris DAC all for less than $1k, which could easily beat a lot of $10k + systems.....now that is crazy in my world.

It did sound great though!!!

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

I hope it does soon. For me (and possibly a lot of others), having to move asses or embrace a monitor while listening to music however musical it is is crazy.

chauphuong,

I'm with Sligolad on this one.

I've enjoyed JRemote with JRiver and Ipeng with Daphile. I've used custom scripts to sort my albums exactly as I wanted them.

But this player, inconvenient as it currently is, makes the concessions of convenience worthwhile.

It's quite remarkable and it's a reminder, at least to me, that less is more, and less than that is even better still.

Joel

And Pearse, if you wanted to start a thread on this SD card player for which there are pages and pages of posts on other sites, I'd be interested.

I'm amazed that this little thing has garnered so much attention, but I'm willing to learn.

Joel

If the best sound quality is your goal then I think we passed crazy several years ago with all the various hardware/software approaches we now have to getting to that end.

In CA today crazy lies in the eye of the beholder!

I heard an modified SD Card player with an LCD screen for navigating to select tracks on a wooden board into a modified Soekris DAC all for less than $1k, which could easily beat a lot of $10k + systems.....now that is crazy in my world.

It did sound great though!!!

It is a matter of personal taste.

• 2 months later...

wtfplay 0.5 is now a serious challenger in the DSD arena, while it had unsupported capability previously to read DSD DOP files I was still blown away by its PCM sound which was a clear winner against all other players.

Now with DSD supported I have been truly amazed listening to my DSF files again on Lampi Big7.

I currently have an F-1 Xmos XU208 USB card wired by i2s direct to the DSD Board in the Big7 with 5v supplied to the card by a Paul Hynes Linear supply and DSD sounds amazing.

Hopefully Amanero can get DSD for Linux properly supported one of these days which sounds like it is almost there so lots to look forward with uwtfplay-dsd direct into the Lampizator Big 7.

2016 is again proving to be a great year for PC based playback with wtfplay coming in and raising the bar for music enjoyment.

Well done frd____

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Congratulations to author(s) of wftplay, on initial listening alone certainly amongst the best digital replay I've heard so far - commendable documentation too and really simple to get working. I notice though when playing all files in a folder (all FLAC) I get a gap in play between files and can hear my DAC's relay click on and off- is there a way to avoid this?

The ultra lean no network, no gui actually suits me fine, please don't change it too much into a "me too" of other products.

I too am interested in the potential for an audio optimised SD card transport, maybe using Wtfplay?

Cheers and happy listening, Pearse.

Hi Pearse. I'm currently doing a quick and dirty test with the player and I like it !

Boot is from a USB2 key on a non resident laptop, media files are located into a second USB2 key.

I'm able to play native non-DoP DSD files with uwtfplay-dsd with my JLSounds AK4490 DAC (highly customized).

I noticed a quite long silence interval between end of a track and the beginning of a subsequent one, so I suppose the player isn't loading the track in advance in order to have a continuous play out.

Is this something you are looking as enhancement ?

Have a nice day. Massimiliano

24 hours in to my try-out of Wtfplay, I think this is going to become my player of choice. Yes it needs some further development to cure the gaps etc and I'm guessing the current interface will be a deal breaker for many, but to a vinyl diehard like me this is qualitatively different from anything I've heard before - digital replay that crosses the line into truly convincing territory.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm able to play native non-DoP DSD files with uwtfplay-dsd with my JLSounds AK4490 DAC (highly customized).

Hi Massimiliano, been travelling and listening to some great music so a bit slow getting back here.

That is some impressive gear for the DIY minded you linked to and great to hear you are getting DSD playing out of that little DAC.

Just ordered the little i2s to USB board myself from JL to play with its DSD capabilities and see how it compares with the F1 which continues to impress.

PCM is just amazing out of the spdif from the F1 with the latest uwtfplay-dsd, I continue to be shocked how much more I am hearing from 16 44 PCM with uwtfplay.

Have you tried PCM yet on uwtfplay-dsd?

Cheers, Pearse.

... Have you tried PCM yet on uwtfplay-dsd?

Cheers, Pearse.

Hi Pearse. Yes I did it and I'm playing CD's this evening as well.

I just go back from a trip to Venice and surroundings ... so my evaluation of the player is slightly delayed ... :-)

Unfortunately my English isn't so good as I would, it is not easy to describe the sound I get from the system. First, I think "digital noise floor" drops to an unlistenable level, every nuance is now under a new light on the stage. Second, focus and stability of executors and instruments is top notch so as for rhythm attacks and decays ... I'm surprised !

Apart the aforementioned DAC, the rest of the system: ASR Emitter 1 integrated, Wilson Audio Sophia2, Gryphon cabling

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

Hi Guys,

Nice gear Massimiliano.....you should really enjoy the benefits of uwtfplay on your setup.

Regarding uwtfplay-dsd I too believed it was just for raw DSD until one day I put on some PCM files forgetting to select uwtfplay and music played, after a while I thought how good everything was sounding and just put it down to the F1 USB to SPDIF card burning in.

When I noticed I was still using uwtfplay-dsd I began switching between uwtfplay and uwtfplay-dsd and to me I felt there was a slight improvement with uwtfplay-dsd for PCM playback.

I questioned the developer and he tells me there are very small differences but that uwtfplay-dsd will still switch to PCM out if sees the file is not DSD.

Ultimately he plans on removing the uwtfplay option and just run with the uwtfplay-dsd build in the next release, early days yet but there have been some significant improvements in a short period and I am struggling to keep up with his developments particularly when it comes to DSD playback.

I am just so glad that PCM playback is improving and it is well ahead of anything I have heard since I started down this CA route some 4 years ago now....2016 is also proving to be one hell of a year for CA.

Cheers, Pearse.

I am just so glad that PCM playback is improving and it is well ahead of anything I have heard since I started down this CA route some 4 years ago now....2016 is also proving to be one hell of a year for CA.

Cheers, Pearse.

Thanks for this and for your original posts about Wtfplay, finding out about great solutions others are using is what I really value about this site.

24 hours in to my try-out of Wtfplay, I think this is going to become my player of choice. Yes it needs some further development to cure the gaps etc and I'm guessing the current interface will be a deal breaker for many, but to a vinyl diehard like me this is qualitatively different from anything I've heard before - digital replay that crosses the line into truly convincing territory.

Praise indeed coming from you Norton, what hardware are you using, thanks!

Praise indeed coming from you Norton, what hardware are you using, thanks!

That's precisely the beauty of Wtfplay, I'm using it with a Zotac fanless PC ( about £100 barebones) albeit with a HDplex PSU, but no other mods or tweaks whatsover and I get these results. I've used the same PC direct to the same DAC with JRiver and HQP under Linux and as a Linux and Windows 10 NAA and never heard anything as good before. Admittedly, I haven't invested in optimising the system, the beauty of wtf seems to be that I don't have to.

The installation on the USB stich was easy and the player works like a charm. I would love to install on my main rig with headless PC. Any suggestion for a remote software able to boot through Bios? Client/Server are both on Win10Pro? I know of Radmin, but I'm wondering if there's any other better option. Thanks.

Unfortunately wtfplay-live does not offer network access at the moment. This is one of the features that will be tested in the future.

To remotely access a PC at the BIOS level you need a KVM solution: either a hardware or software.

A hardware solution may consists of adapter that you connect to VGA/USB ports of the PC that you want to manage. The adapter may Ethernet interface so it may be accessed remotely: typically with VNC or RDP protocols. Here is an example of such adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/1port-Spider-Remote-Kvm-Over-Ip-Connectors/dp/9792349421/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1465377667&sr=8-11&keywords=kvm+ethernet+extender+ip

As you can see kvm-over-ip hardware is not necessarily cheap. However, modern PCs very often offer software solution for that - remote management interface. Remote management interface is running on an embedded processor in your PC - it is pretty much always on - regardless if the main operating system is running or not. The management interface can be accessed via Ethernet: sometimes there is a dedicated port for this, sometimes the Ethernet port is shared. The remote management interface allows you to poweron/poweroff the PC, update firmware and can provide KVM access. The most popular Intel solution for remote management is called AMT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology

There is also a standard for remote management protocol - it is used mainly on server grade motherboards:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Platform_Management_Interface

Here is a tutorial how to use Intel AMT for remote KVM access:

How to Remotely Control Your PC (Even When it Crashes)

Please note, that I did not use AMT myself.

I hope that it helps.

F

Thank you indeed for the informative links. I can see why you are not going in that path and I believe the integration with a NAA might be the next step for a user friendly version of this player is already in the plan. I will definitely keep an eye on this thread to see any further implementation in that direction. Best regards and definitely congratulations for this very promising venture, R