IGNORED

wtfplay

sligolad

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are the instructions of how to boot wtfplay-live ISO using existing grub2 bootloader that is installed on your disk. Assumptions:

• you have a Linux distribution installed on the disk already
  • you use grub2 bootloader
  • you have at least wtfplay-live 0.7 ISO image (older images will not work)
  • you have 7z archiver installed (optional, but speeds up configuration generation, just check for 7z command).

The procedure goes as follows (all commands executed as root).

• Copy the attached 20_wtfplay_live script into /etc/grub.d
cp 20_wtfplay_live /etc/grub.d
  • Make that script executable
chmod 755 /etc/grub.d/20_wtfplay_live
  • Copy the wtfplay-live ISO image into /boot directory. In this example I will use wtfplay-live-0.7-corei7.iso
cp wtfplay-live-0.7-corei7.iso /boot
  • Regenerate grub configuration
grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg
  • Done. Once you reboot you should see additional options in the grub menu that will boot wtfplay-live.

Final notes (important):

• This procedure has been tested with Legacy BIOS boot mode. In the UEFI the console may not be displayed correctly. The easiest way to fix it is to modify the attached 20_wtfplay_live script. Look for the line marked with XXX and un-comment the line below (the one that says echo "set gfxpayload=keep")
  • When wtfplay-live is booted like that the player's settings or shell history are not preserved.

Hopefully I haven't made any mistakes. Please let me know if you spot one. I hope you will find this useful.

Attachment:

20_wtfplay_live

Thank you Fryderck,

I’ll try it; the result seems close to the one if using grub-customizer from within - say - Ubuntu, and make a new Grub2 entry pointing to the ISO.

The problem remains having the WTF-CONFIG folder accessible, and therefore keep the configuration at hand instead of having to reinput it at every boot.

I tried to DD a working USB installation to partitions made on purpose (WTF-PLAY and WTF-CONFIG), but then the Grub2 entry I make to direct boot to the first folder struggles finding the root and ends in Kernel panic.....

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After a year of experimenting, I went back to wtfplay and I am pleased again.
Great technical parameters of sound (soundstage, detail, explosive dynamics)

and yet a lot of emotions (which I cannot say about other distributions).

Juicy, fat, muscular... or similar :)
Maybe wtfplay on my weaker hardware (NUC) benefits from its low performance requirements.
More complex distributions would sound better (but certainly not better than wtfplay) on a more powerful machine,

but why do it complicated when it's easy...  Even though I lack some features, sound is first and foremost.

And presented minimalism for me also has its appeal.
Once I would like to hear Windows Serves + AO, but again: why do it complicated?
Now I definitely have no motivation to change something and I look forward to the next listening session.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Hi frd, I chanced across your player and I really dig the sound. I found that it had very nice stereo separation - is the kernel/audio fetching pipeline 32 bit or 64 bit? Judging by the sound, I'm guessing 64 bit but I'm not sure.

I'd like to know what are the I/o and programming/scripting languages supported. I'm trying to code my own playlist manager, but something that will just stay in the music storage media and will not intrude into your code. I haven't checked this yet, but I suppose the code supports mounting iso files as well (in case cd rips are stored in hard drive).

Prior to coming across wtfplay, I wanted to build the code from scratch myself but on BSD (no not oss, even the kernel/mixer to be custom coded). I still think there can be improvements by cutting further down the kernel/driver. Can I have guidance from you on how you went about the design process, what worked and what didn't?

Thanks and Regards,

Manuel Jenkin.

Hi Manuel,

Sorry for late response. I am not reading the forum frequently.

wtfplay-live is 64 bit only (no multilib). The most recent versions use musl libc so make sure that you use the correct compiler toolchain.

You sould be able to run any C/C++ programs in wtfplay-live environment provided that you ship them with all required libraries. There is not much there beside libc and ncurses.

There are also shell scripts.

I am afraid that mouting of ISO rips will not. I haven't implement that yet.

F

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You. Excellent work, as always.

Stay safe.

Cheers.

Armsan

Taiko Audio Extreme server, MSB Reference Transport, MSB Select DAC with 33 Femto clock, 2 PSUs, powered by Torus AVR 16. Accuphase A-250 powered by Torus AVR 16, each. TAD Reference One.

Hi Frd,

I would like to ask for a few feature requests.

1. Ability to mount ISO files.

2. Ability to manually mount/unmount drives and ability to disable automount.

I would be happy to lend a helping hand for your project in case you are interested. I have been thoroughly pleased with wtfplay so far.

Thanks and Regards,
Manuel Jenkin.

Hi Manuel,

I created images for release 0.7.2 - this should fix the issue with automatic mounting of NVMe drives.

You can mount/unmount filesystems manually as you please with mount and umount commands. One recommendation would be to use subdirectories  in /media for mount target directories. wtfcui use this location.

In terms of mounting filesystem images via loop device (e.g. ISOs), it is not supported at the moment. I can add that in the future releases.

F

1 hour ago, frd__ said:

Hi Manuel,

I created images for release 0.7.2 - this should fix the issue with automatic mounting of NVMe drives.

You can mount/unmount filesystems manually as you please with mount and umount commands. One recommendation would be to use subdirectories  in /media for mount target directories. wtfcui use this location.

In terms of mounting filesystem images via loop device (e.g. ISOs), it is not supported at the moment. I can add that in the future releases.

F

Wow, this was fast. :)

Of course now is working automaticaly with NVMe driver, YES!!!

Now i could test 0.7 and i already did.

Sound is cleaner, more smooth details and depth. Simply more music.

Thanks again.

Bostjan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

I am a new user of your excellent player.I have problem with its functionality.In a word when I move a title on the black right side and I try to play it with the key enter, there is a white flashing of the program, and the title is not played. Yesterday with the same set up everything was well working, to day the problem is in.

Best regards

Massimo 

Hello and many thanks for your quick attention to my problem.

To your question:

1: exactly same files as the day before.In a first time the problem was for a single file,after all files didn’t work like a program mode stop.

2: flac 16/44,1

3: Khadas tone board

4:corei7 wtfplay kernel 33 .

My setup wtfcui v.0.9.7.I player:wtf-wav-dhw:1-f2048-n3-p60 / media panel sda 1 sdc 2 and inside this: $Recycle.Bin/.synging_db/ Esoteric files HD Blues HD Jazz .

My best regards and a good Easter too.

Massimo

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2017 at 10:26 AM, bodiebill said:

Thanks Fryderyk! After some fiddling I got it to work with this command:

setterm -blank 1

which blanks the screen after 1 minute of inactivity.

For blanking the screen the above command no longer works in the last WTF version.

Is there an alternative method?

audio system

Here is a quick workaround for setterm --blank N, where N is the the blank delay in minutes. Here are the commands that can be used instead:

echo -ne "\e[9;N]"

or

printf "\e[9;%d]" N

The commands are equivalent. They send to terminal a control sequence of characters that set the blank timeout. Just substitute N with the number of minutes.

Using your example, to set the screen to blank after 1 minute of inactivity you can type:

echo -ne "\e[9;1]"

or

printf "\e[9;%d]" 1
7 hours ago, frd__ said:

Here is a quick workaround for setterm --blank N, where N is the the blank delay in minutes. Here are the commands that can be used instead:

echo -ne "\e[9;N]"

or

printf "\e[9;%d]" N

The commands are equivalent. They send to terminal a control sequence of characters that set the blank timeout. Just substitute N with the number of minutes.

Using your example, to set the screen to blank after 1 minute of inactivity you can type:

echo -ne "\e[9;1]"

or

printf "\e[9;%d]" 1

Great option. 

I have pc connected to plasma TV, which doesnt like still images. 

Question:

Does anyone tried with Chord dacs? 

Will it work? Chord Mojo for example. 

Best regards, Bostjan