IGNORED

wtfplay

sligolad

Hi frd, I chanced across your player and I really dig the sound. I found that it had very nice stereo separation - is the kernel/audio fetching pipeline 32 bit or 64 bit? Judging by the sound, I'm guessing 64 bit but I'm not sure.

I'd like to know what are the I/o and programming/scripting languages supported. I'm trying to code my own playlist manager, but something that will just stay in the music storage media and will not intrude into your code. I haven't checked this yet, but I suppose the code supports mounting iso files as well (in case cd rips are stored in hard drive).

Prior to coming across wtfplay, I wanted to build the code from scratch myself but on BSD (no not oss, even the kernel/mixer to be custom coded). I still think there can be improvements by cutting further down the kernel/driver. Can I have guidance from you on how you went about the design process, what worked and what didn't?

Thanks and Regards,

Manuel Jenkin.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Frd,

I would like to ask for a few feature requests.

1. Ability to mount ISO files.

2. Ability to manually mount/unmount drives and ability to disable automount.

I would be happy to lend a helping hand for your project in case you are interested. I have been thoroughly pleased with wtfplay so far.

Thanks and Regards,
Manuel Jenkin.

• 4 months later...

Hi frd, I wish to know if wtfplay can be tweaked to do audio recording. I enjoy wtfplay a lot for music playback, and I wish to have a similar setup to record audio - on my focursite 2i2. I assume whatever improvement I'm hearing over other player software using my dac, I'll also get on my ADC/interface since after all, we are trying to get the noise down for the mixed signal ICs inside the devices.

24 bit 192khz file for 5 minutes takes up probably around 300MB which can certainly be held by the RAM. I understand wtfplay doesn't have write permissions, but will it be possible that you can do another distro, say wtfrecord, that just records and then with a command exports to a storage drive? No editing or anything of that sort, just recording.

On a side note, are there any plans for an arm version of wtfplay? I have an allo sparky board and I'm interested to see if I can get it to take the job of music playback from my pc.