IGNORED

The best labels for the best sound in classical music

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, pdvm said:

It is generally not an issue in classical music, but it does happen, even in high profile recordings. Just listen to Currentzis recording of Tchaikovsky 6. It is so compressed in some places, it seems bizarre to me that most reviewers didn’t mention it. Some even laud it as ‘demonstration quality’, LOL. The distortion is SO audible! (If you download the hi-res file, you can actually see the waveform is completely square for most of the third movement). 
Same for his Mahler 6. 

Another example that comes to mind is Rattle’s Nutcracker. Just dynamically crushed, no DR.

So beware, there are some classical albums out there that were mastered for car radios…

Absolutely agree. There are some sources that I would not go anywhere near, and the whole Currentzis thing is completely bizarre, awful stuff. 

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

14 hours ago, pdvm said:

It is generally not an issue in classical music, but it does happen, even in high profile recordings. Just listen to Currentzis recording of Tchaikovsky 6. It is so compressed in some places, it seems bizarre to me that most reviewers didn’t mention it. Some even laud it as ‘demonstration quality’, LOL. The distortion is SO audible! (If you download the hi-res file, you can actually see the waveform is completely square for most of the third movement). 
Same for his Mahler 6. 

Another example that comes to mind is Rattle’s Nutcracker. Just dynamically crushed, no DR.

So beware, there are some classical albums out there that were mastered for car radios…

Are you referring to this Nutcracker? https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/100719

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Are you referring to this Nutcracker? https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/100719

Yes, that one.

Ok, I was a bit too harsh on this recording, but it is limited, mostly in fortissimo passages. Listen for example to the Pas de deux (no. 14a), at the climax around 03:36.

Those DR stats can be deceiving... it's all about having a natural distribution of loudness levels. 

1 hour ago, pdvm said:

Yes, that one.

Ok, I was a bit too harsh on this recording, but it is limited, mostly in fortissimo passages. Listen for example to the Pas de deux (no. 14a), at the climax around 03:36.

Those DR stats can be deceiving... it's all about having a natural distribution of loudness levels. 

I can see the clipping you're referring to (see below). But I'd say beyond these fortissimo clips I find this recording to be quite acceptable (I listen to it every Christmas season). 

image.thumb.png.4fdcf34925509b59c23a71453f5f6d35.png

Which recording of Ravel's Bolero has the biggest dynamic range?

I have heard it performed live many times and there you hardly here the snare drum in the beginning of the peace. I was told that some percussionists actually don't hit the drum for the couple of bars so that you only see there hands move but there is no sound.

5 hours ago, PAP said:

Which recording of Ravel's Bolero has the biggest dynamic range?

I have heard it performed live many times and there you hardly here the snare drum in the beginning of the peace. I was told that some percussionists actually don't hit the drum for the couple of bars so that you only see there hands move but there is no sound.

I just checked my versions of Bolero, and the best DR I could find in my library are 16 for this Telarc recording:

image.png.db228f3ccf3197184f593332b85ca9a4.png

And even 17 for Rattle:

image.png.6b9f7717c02f3ea64d614d59c33b277b.png

Kal, he was asking about Bolero not Daphnis et Chloe. 

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

9 hours ago, FIndingit said:

Probably not related to his recordings, but Currentzis sometimes uses the highly controversial electronic artificial reverberation system when performing in concert halls. 

I fear that I am irretrievably biased against him for this and for many other recording and performance practices that I can no longer appreciate him.  The only performance of his that I enjoyed was the Verdi Requiem with the BPO on their digitalconcerthall.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile