IGNORED

Not sure even what to ask..

bmac78758

Hi All,

So I'm looking for a piece of hardware that will allow me to connect a simple thumb drive (in my case a Samsung device that is 1TB) with a bunch of audio files (mostly AIFF) and play them with either iOS or Android control. I don't care what it is called (streamer / network player / bridge / DAC / Server, etc.) I just don't want a computer in the chain and I don't want a traditional hard drive in the picture either because of motor / fan noise. I also don't yet trust wireless / Bluetooth to be of adequate fidelity. Lots of machines have USB input but it seems they are looking for bit streams from a computer rather than being able to browse / play (via an App) through that input. It would be nice if this machine had an internal DAC but I suppose it is not absolutely necessary since I can take care of that separately if need be.

Does this make sense? Sorry if this is somewhat a newbie question. As I said before, almost everything has a USB input but no data sheets explaining exactly what you can actually use that input for. But on the other hand, you all should know how inexpensive large flash-based storage is becoming.

Thanks!

It sounds to me that something like an Auralic Aries or Aries Mini should fit the bill nicely. I have both and cannot be happier.

Both Aries and Aries Mini support an external USB flash drive or disk drive attached as the music library. Once the built-in Lightning Server completes a music scan, access is on iPad or iPhone running Lightning DS app. A 2.5" SATA drive (HDD/SSD/SSHD) can also be installed inside the Aries Mini, and it also has a built-in DAC. If you put a 2.5" SATA drive into Aries Mini, there's no need to mess around with USB whatsoever.

The beauty of Aries Mini is its "all-in-one" music box ability: no NAS, computer (PC or Mac) or even standalone DAC needed. The convenience factor is hard to beat. My Mini is connected directly to a pair of KEF X300A speakers as an ultra-simple setup for a bedroom. My Aries drives a Vega DAC and Taurus Mk II as my high-end headphone setup. I do have a PC-based NAS carrying my music library, but that is just a personal preference, as local storage attached to Aries makes a NAS unnecessary.

My Mini went through an audition at friend's place, and all present were quite impressed. I used an Auralic LPS that shipped with the Aries to power the Mini, with excellent results.

The Bryston BDP is designed to do just what you ask ( although no internal DAC).

It can even be used without network connection and navigated simply via display and remote, CD player style, if you so wish.

Agree. And, you can pick up a used BDP-1 for good prices these days.

JJinPDX

Hi All,

So I'm looking for a piece of hardware that will allow me to connect a simple thumb drive (in my case a Samsung device that is 1TB) with a bunch of audio files (mostly AIFF) and play them with either iOS or Android control. I don't care what it is called (streamer / network player / bridge / DAC / Server, etc.) I just don't want a computer in the chain and I don't want a traditional hard drive in the picture either because of motor / fan noise. I also don't yet trust wireless / Bluetooth to be of adequate fidelity. Lots of machines have USB input but it seems they are looking for bit streams from a computer rather than being able to browse / play (via an App) through that input. It would be nice if this machine had an internal DAC but I suppose it is not absolutely necessary since I can take care of that separately if need be.

Does this make sense? Sorry if this is somewhat a newbie question. As I said before, almost everything has a USB input but no data sheets explaining exactly what you can actually use that input for. But on the other hand, you all should know how inexpensive large flash-based storage is becoming.

Thanks!

You may already have this if you have a blue ray player, check your owners manual.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi All,

Thanks!

Naim Audio and Linn Audio both offer what you look for in their streamers range. Naim Audio also offers this in their single-box solution (amp, streamer and CD player in one).

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948