IGNORED

Auralic Arlies LE + Ark MX+ problems

I borrowed an Aries LE and a ARK MC+ from the shop so I could play around with streaming.

However I ran into some problems.

1) The dac will not lock onto the streamer. The streamer "sees" the DAC since I can select it in the output menu. However the red light on the DAC keeps flashing which means it cannot synchronize or lock onto the streamer.

2) Both minimserver and lightning DS server turns each separate song into an album. When I select an artist I see say 10 songs 10 albums. While in reality it is 1 album with 10 songs.

3) Lightning DS server screws up my genres. When using foobar on the laptop or minimserver on the Aries LE I see the 10 or 12 genres I made. Lighting DS somehow see 37 genres. For example, Doom Metal, Metal Doom, and Metal while I have just metal and doom. Also all of a sudden there are lost of pop genres pop reggae, pop folk, pop 80's etc.

Can anyone help me?

[br]

In answer to your questions...

1) might be helpful if you can tell us how the two are connected? Via USB or SPDIF?

2 & 3) the UPnP servers show only what the tags / metadata contain. If you have an album then the Artist or Album Artist must be identical and the Album title must be identical; if you have more genres than you expect, you must have those as Genre tags. No information comes from outside the track files and the metadata contained within.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

2 & 3) the UPnP servers show only what the tags / metadata contain. If you have an album then the Artist or Album Artist must be identical and the Album title must be identical; if you have more genres than you expect, you must have those as Genre tags. No information comes from outside the track files and the metadata contained within.
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier, as it would have saved a bit of time (& guessing) on my part, when replying to similar issues mentioned by the OP in the Lighning DS app thread, beginning here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-lightning-ds-app-software-impressions-and-information-21262/index72.html#post517698

If you read on in that thread, the OP self diagnoses the album problem, as being caused by the storage file folder structure being used to store the album file tracks. Essentially both the MinimServer & Lighning Server UPnP media servers will consider an album distinct if its track files are held in separate storage file folders, regardless if the files' relevant tags/metadata match and identify them as tracks belonging to just one album.

The Lighning Server's genre issue remains unresolved, I believe.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

2) Both minimserver and lightning DS server turns each separate song into an album. When I select an artist I see say 10 songs 10 albums. While in reality it is 1 album with 10 songs.

3) Lightning DS server screws up my genres. When using foobar on the laptop or minimserver on the Aries LE I see the 10 or 12 genres I made. Lighting DS somehow see 37 genres.

In the interests of clarity, the UPnP media server that Auralic have built into the Aries' firmware is known as the Lightning Server, not to be confused with the similarly named Lightning DS iOS controller app, which has a different purpose:

What is Lightning Server? – AURALIC LIMITED

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The problem was that for Lightning DS and minimserver all the files need to be in 1 folder. Each song is in its own folder.

With MinimServer, does setting the <b>mergeFolderAlbums</b> to TRUE help?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.